Gransnet forums

House and home

Household products you recommend

(54 Posts)
phoenix Mon 22-Apr-19 17:47:54

Hello,

I thought it has been sometime since we had a thread like this, so here we go! smile

(Also thought it might be an idea to keep recommendations for food things separate?)

Lidl W5 kitchen cleaner definitely gets a vote from me, cheaper and better than the Flash with Fairy one that I was using.

Impressed with the bathroom one from the same range, effective and has a nice fresh smell.

David1968 Mon 22-Apr-19 18:01:33

It's not cheap initially, but I love BioMex Multi surface cleaner. Worth the money IMO, because I find it lasts for ages. It's £11.99 and I get mine from Lakeland Ltd. A wonderful cleaner for stainless steel and so many other areas. The claims are:
An incredible universal cleaner
Dissolves dirt, limescale, oil and grease
Suitable for almost every surface
Natural ingredients
Extremely concentrated to last a long time.
And I have to say that I agree with them all! (And I have no connection with any of the companies involved.)

grannysue05 Mon 22-Apr-19 18:08:15

I use "Stardrops" for absolutely everything nowadays.
I used to spend a fortune on cleaners for every type of situation, but not any more.
"Stardrops" is cheap and cleans thoroughly and smells fresh.
Used on Kitchen grease, bathroom, showers, cupboard fronts and flooring.
Gosh .... I sound like an advert ! blush

phoenix Mon 22-Apr-19 18:35:27

grannysue I have never heard of "Stardrops"!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Apr-19 18:40:42

I use Method, ecover or Waitrose own brand eco friendly products, my ownly naughty vice is I squirt bleach down the lavatories every so often!!!

Chewbacca Mon 22-Apr-19 18:44:48

WD40. Absolutely the best thing to bring up the shine on anything stainless steel; remove fine scratches in vinyl flooring and worktops and removes greasy marks from laminate cupboard doors; cleans upvc window frames, doors and garden furniture. Brilliant value for a pound and lasts ages.

Maggiemaybe Mon 22-Apr-19 19:00:20

I like the Method range too, and love the smell of them. They last for ages. I have a pomegranate spray in the kitchen, watermelon in the bathroom, and my favourite, the wood floor cleaner (just splash a bit on, go over it with a dry mop) that leaves the rooms smelling of marzipan.

Saying that, I don’t think you can better vinegar in warm water and crumpled newspaper to clean glass, vinegar in water again for wooden furniture, and bicarb to get rid of nasty smells and burnt on food.

Greyduster Mon 22-Apr-19 19:01:46

Aldi microfibre cloths for finishing off the shower screen, mirrors, gloss kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Very quick and no smears.

phoenix Mon 22-Apr-19 19:04:04

Chewbacca there is school of thought that says if it doesn't move, and should, use WD40. If it moves, and shouldn't, use duck tape grin

Eglantine21 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:12:56

I’m another that goes with WD40. ?

jusnoneed Mon 22-Apr-19 19:15:24

Another Stardrops user, the whole range is good.

Farmor15 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:19:55

I find oxy-action products excellent for vases with scum inside, demi-johns which have been used to brew cider or other awkward shaped containers. Also compost bin which gets black inside. Just put in a scoop with warm water and the debris seems to float off after a few hours.

The own-brand ones from Aldi and Lidl work fine.

Grannyrebel27 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:24:45

I love Cillit Bang!

phoenix Mon 22-Apr-19 19:45:28

Grannyrebel27 I think you might mean CILLIT BANG!

(As in the shouty adverts!)

BBbevan Mon 22-Apr-19 19:49:34

Just cleaned my awful salt encrusted windows with warm water, white vinegar and a cloth. Sparkling and smear free. Also use white vinegar for shower heads etc,. Cheap and effective

Niobe Mon 22-Apr-19 20:48:29

My stainless steel fridge freezer is sparkling with no streaks or finger prints to be seen because I used a spoonful of baby oil on a soft cloth to wipe it. Magic!

M0nica Mon 22-Apr-19 20:59:45

Most of my household cleaning products I buy in the French supermarket chain LeClerc. I try where possible to buy only ecologically approved products and they have a far wider range of products and brands there than in the UK, where Ecover seems to hold a monopoly position and can charge as much as it likes.

In particular I am able to get a soap based washing machine liquid, which is the only brand my DDiL can use as she has an auto-immune disease that means detergent based ones cause her skin to itch and redden.

Grannyknot Mon 22-Apr-19 21:01:44

I'd be very happy to read recommendations for a wooden floor cleaner that doesn't need rinsing ... smile

IAmWhatIAm Mon 22-Apr-19 22:13:43

Using fabric softener on high shine items/tiles.

dragonfly46 Mon 22-Apr-19 22:18:15

I have been reading the labels recently and I am horrified by what they contain. I only use eco brands now.

crazyH Mon 22-Apr-19 22:23:37

Soda CRYSTAL...to clean greasy pans, it does tend to leave a white reissue but rising with water will sort it.

craftyone Tue 23-Apr-19 06:23:35

bio D washing up liquid

craftyone Tue 23-Apr-19 06:24:06

A`kin hair and body products, contain no nasties

Anja Tue 23-Apr-19 06:35:42

Another vote here for Method. Comes in recycled and recyclable plastic and is animal friendly.

Re bleach. I buy the baby sterilisation tablet (comes in foil) and drop one or two into an old spray bottle. Saves buying more plastic and overdoing the bleach.

A slice of lemon left overnight in the toilets seem to keep them nice and fresh. Can use slice left over from the G&T !

Larissa67 Tue 23-Apr-19 06:38:06

Steradent tablets to soak away tea stains in mugs and cups.