Gransnet forums

House and home

Household products you recommend

(55 Posts)
phoenix Mon 22-Apr-19 17:47:54

Hello,

I thought it has been sometime since we had a thread like this, so here we go! smile

(Also thought it might be an idea to keep recommendations for food things separate?)

Lidl W5 kitchen cleaner definitely gets a vote from me, cheaper and better than the Flash with Fairy one that I was using.

Impressed with the bathroom one from the same range, effective and has a nice fresh smell.

M0nica Tue 23-Apr-19 14:45:26

Use drop of olive oil on laminate worktops. Rub over, leave to 'dry' for half an hour or so then polish off with a soft clothe. You can safely put food on the worktop without fear contamination.

Cabbie21 Tue 23-Apr-19 08:48:51

I use a refillable spray bottle for many jobs. I fill it with white vinegar, a few drops of Stardrops and lots of water. Sorry, I am not sure of the proportions, but at a guess, about one third white vinegar to two thirds water.

Pittcity Tue 23-Apr-19 08:44:14

I'm with dragonfly on this one. I am always reading labels as I get headaches from breathing in droplets from cleaning sprays.
Diluted white vinegar in a spray bottle is great for Windows, mirrors etc.
Thanks for the lemon tip anja and I will refill my bleach bottle too.

aggie Tue 23-Apr-19 08:22:40

Salt or Bicarb rubbed in takes the stains off cups , mine go in the dishwasher , before he got a dishwasher my son, lived next door , brought his cups and mugs in for me to run them through !

Larissa67 Tue 23-Apr-19 06:38:06

Steradent tablets to soak away tea stains in mugs and cups.

Anja Tue 23-Apr-19 06:35:42

Another vote here for Method. Comes in recycled and recyclable plastic and is animal friendly.

Re bleach. I buy the baby sterilisation tablet (comes in foil) and drop one or two into an old spray bottle. Saves buying more plastic and overdoing the bleach.

A slice of lemon left overnight in the toilets seem to keep them nice and fresh. Can use slice left over from the G&T !

craftyone Tue 23-Apr-19 06:24:06

A`kin hair and body products, contain no nasties

craftyone Tue 23-Apr-19 06:23:35

bio D washing up liquid

crazyH Mon 22-Apr-19 22:23:37

Soda CRYSTAL...to clean greasy pans, it does tend to leave a white reissue but rising with water will sort it.

dragonfly46 Mon 22-Apr-19 22:18:15

I have been reading the labels recently and I am horrified by what they contain. I only use eco brands now.

IAmWhatIAm Mon 22-Apr-19 22:13:43

Using fabric softener on high shine items/tiles.

Grannyknot Mon 22-Apr-19 21:01:44

I'd be very happy to read recommendations for a wooden floor cleaner that doesn't need rinsing ... smile

M0nica Mon 22-Apr-19 20:59:45

Most of my household cleaning products I buy in the French supermarket chain LeClerc. I try where possible to buy only ecologically approved products and they have a far wider range of products and brands there than in the UK, where Ecover seems to hold a monopoly position and can charge as much as it likes.

In particular I am able to get a soap based washing machine liquid, which is the only brand my DDiL can use as she has an auto-immune disease that means detergent based ones cause her skin to itch and redden.

Niobe Mon 22-Apr-19 20:48:29

My stainless steel fridge freezer is sparkling with no streaks or finger prints to be seen because I used a spoonful of baby oil on a soft cloth to wipe it. Magic!

BBbevan Mon 22-Apr-19 19:49:34

Just cleaned my awful salt encrusted windows with warm water, white vinegar and a cloth. Sparkling and smear free. Also use white vinegar for shower heads etc,. Cheap and effective

phoenix Mon 22-Apr-19 19:45:28

Grannyrebel27 I think you might mean CILLIT BANG!

(As in the shouty adverts!)

Grannyrebel27 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:24:45

I love Cillit Bang!

Farmor15 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:19:55

I find oxy-action products excellent for vases with scum inside, demi-johns which have been used to brew cider or other awkward shaped containers. Also compost bin which gets black inside. Just put in a scoop with warm water and the debris seems to float off after a few hours.

The own-brand ones from Aldi and Lidl work fine.

jusnoneed Mon 22-Apr-19 19:15:24

Another Stardrops user, the whole range is good.

Eglantine21 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:12:56

I’m another that goes with WD40. ?

phoenix Mon 22-Apr-19 19:04:04

Chewbacca there is school of thought that says if it doesn't move, and should, use WD40. If it moves, and shouldn't, use duck tape grin

Greyduster Mon 22-Apr-19 19:01:46

Aldi microfibre cloths for finishing off the shower screen, mirrors, gloss kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Very quick and no smears.

Maggiemaybe Mon 22-Apr-19 19:00:20

I like the Method range too, and love the smell of them. They last for ages. I have a pomegranate spray in the kitchen, watermelon in the bathroom, and my favourite, the wood floor cleaner (just splash a bit on, go over it with a dry mop) that leaves the rooms smelling of marzipan.

Saying that, I don’t think you can better vinegar in warm water and crumpled newspaper to clean glass, vinegar in water again for wooden furniture, and bicarb to get rid of nasty smells and burnt on food.

Chewbacca Mon 22-Apr-19 18:44:48

WD40. Absolutely the best thing to bring up the shine on anything stainless steel; remove fine scratches in vinyl flooring and worktops and removes greasy marks from laminate cupboard doors; cleans upvc window frames, doors and garden furniture. Brilliant value for a pound and lasts ages.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Apr-19 18:40:42

I use Method, ecover or Waitrose own brand eco friendly products, my ownly naughty vice is I squirt bleach down the lavatories every so often!!!