Gransnet forums

House and home

Which sink would you choose?

(28 Posts)
Greytin94 Fri 17-May-19 17:28:38

I’m having a new sink . I really need advice as can’t decide whether to have a Belfast one or 1:5 bowl stainless steel. I want to get it right as I won’t be changing it again.

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 17:43:42

I'd have a 1 1/2 bowl as it is more practical. Not sure I'd go for SS though. I think the most important thing is how it fits to the surrounding surface. We had one (not our choice) which had a sealant round the edges and I never felt it was really clean. We have two Belfasts in the garden with herbs in!

BBbevan Fri 17-May-19 17:44:58

Belfast. Use a plastic bowl and a sink mat and you should have no problems.

tessagee Fri 17-May-19 17:46:48

I'd go for the one and half stainless steel option. My daughter has ceramic Belfast one and after seven or so years of use I notice that the bottom is very scratched and has become difficult to get really clean, especially as she won't use bleach products. It seems to get marked by pots and pans in particular. Hope this helps.

aggie Fri 17-May-19 17:58:34

I have a white composite one and a half sink , the white stains but a quick rub with baking soda and it sparkles , I had stainless steel and it scratched no matter what I did
I had 2 belfast sinks with plants in , but they got dumped sad

Luckygirl Fri 17-May-19 18:01:36

Make sure the Belfast sink is high enough so that you can use it comfortably without bending - I have noticed that they tend to be rather low.

aggie Fri 17-May-19 18:04:27

Belfast sinks are deep , I had to use two plastic bowls , one upside down and the other on top to raise it up

Kittye Fri 17-May-19 20:01:29

Love my Belfast sink, reminds me of my childhood. I’ve had mine for about 8 years now. I find “bar keepers friend”removes any stains or marks from pans

FlexibleFriend Sat 18-May-19 12:58:26

I''d go for stainless steel but not a 1 and half bowl, always found the small bowl a waste of space tbh. I replaced my sink with the largest, deepest stainless steel one I could find and I love it.

Gonegirl Sat 18-May-19 13:03:46

I'd get one from here. 20cms is a good depth.

Charleygirl5 Sat 18-May-19 13:06:35

I would not have a Belfast sink- difficult to keep pristine and I agree re the one and a half, what would you use the 1/2 for? Have you got the space for that type of sink?

I personally would use a stainless steel one but buy a plastic bowl to stop scratches on the base of the sink.

It is very personal because I would not like a very deep sink.

Juliette Sat 18-May-19 13:49:06

I’ve got a 1.5 ceramic sink. Something similar to the one on the link Gonegirl has posted.
No problems with staining or chipping after twelve years.

SisterAct Sat 18-May-19 16:41:36

I have a composite dark black one, goes with the worktops. Scared it would look too dark. Really pleased with it

jeanie99 Sat 18-May-19 19:06:17

I wouldn't consider any other sink design than a two full bowl layout.
Mine is a two full bowl Blanco SILCRANIT sink, it was fitted almost 4 year ago and I do not have a single scratch.
I've had many designs and sinks over my married life and this sink is outstanding and always looks good.
I can understand you pondering because it is a big decision, you don't replace a sink every day and it needs to be right.
If your heart goes with the Belfast and it fits in with your kitchen design go for it.
I would just say be careful using it because the ceramic does chip and if it is white it stains.
My DIL has a white Belfast and although it was only fitted a few weeks ago the bowl as gone off white.

paddyann Sat 18-May-19 20:42:06

I have a twin Belfast sink ,not a hugely expensive one as I like to chnge things regualrly .I bought this one from Ikea,had it around 5 years now and its been great I spray mine with a bleach spray after use an dits lovely and white

Greyduster Sat 18-May-19 22:01:36

In my last house I had a one and a half bowl granite sink. Very hardwearing, never scratched or scuffed. I should have had one when we had the kitchen replaced here, but inexplicably went for stainless steel and have regretted it ever since. There are always better options than stainless steel.

FlexibleFriend Mon 20-May-19 14:30:45

It doesn't really matter what any of us think, just think about what you use your sink for and what bugs you about your current one if anything.Then get the one that addresses these points. Mine is mainly used to for dumping stuff in on it's way to the dishwasher but we're all different. The reason I wanted a large, deep single bowl sink was on the odd occasion I had to clean roasting dishes and oven trays etc and I couldn't fit them flat on the bottom of the sink. I can now.

Greytin94 Mon 20-May-19 14:55:21

Thank you to all who’ve answered my post.
Despite all your advice, I’m still not any nearer to making a decision.
We currently have a 1:5 bowl but the larger bowl doesn’t have enough capacity for washing large baking trays or the like. The half bowl is useful when your sink is full , to dispose of dregs, or rinse off plates etc.
I’ve always wanted a Belfast but I’m worried that it might be too low, plus I’d lose cupboard space below. I’ve got 2 weeks to decide.

crazyH Mon 20-May-19 15:01:30

1.5 every time, unless your kitchen is large enough for a double sink.

paddyann Mon 20-May-19 15:50:54

I have cupboards under my Belfast sinks

Greytin94 Sun 23-Jun-19 14:03:14

Just to update anyone that’s interested in my sink choice. I didn’t go for a Belfast or 1:5 bowl after all but a very large and deep , stainless steel adobe single sink. I’m very pleased with it . Everything fits in it with ample space, plus it’s big enough to bath a couple of babies too. ?

M0nica Sun 23-Jun-19 14:22:44

My personal choice is a ceramic double sink, one drainer. It can be white and shiny, Belfast sink style, or beige stipple colour, which is what I have at present, or even dark brown. Those are the colours I have seen, there may be more.

Greytin94 google 'Ceramic sinks', you will find all sorts of bright white ceramic sinks, ie look like a belfast sinks but in any combo of sink and drainers you want. That way you get the best of both worlds. the bright white ceramic look and the convenience of no loss of cupboard space or sinks.

goldengirl Sun 23-Jun-19 17:32:01

I went mad 20 years ago and got a Corian sink. Best thing ever! It's hardwearing. Easy to clean and nice and deep. There are no visible joins nor places to harbour germs. Highly recommend

midgey Sun 23-Jun-19 19:35:26

Oh the memories of bathing babies in the sink! Thanks for that Greytin. grin

Day6 Sun 23-Jun-19 19:42:08

We have a Belfast sink in the kitchen and I love it. It's great for piling in dirty pans and casserole dishes and it looks lovely too.

We had one as I was growing up, and it had wooden draining boards either side. Not good as the edges of them got soggy and always looked damp. Now, ours has marble worktops either side. Much more practical.