Gransnet forums

House and home

How do you wash your raincoats?

(46 Posts)
notanan2 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:23:40

Got my raincoat out (hi Autumn) and it smells stale and leaves a stale smell on my clothes after I take it off.

Even if I cold/gentle wash raincoats they lose their waterproofing, and this coat is very waterproof even in heavy showers which is hard to find!

How can I de-pong it! I dont want ti spray it I dont like air freshners etc they give me headaches.

Thinking of giving it a gentle soak in the bath but scared to add detergent incase it washes off some of the waterproofing.

What do you all do when raincoats need a freshen up?

Thanks

MiniMoon Wed 11-Sep-19 10:29:27

Wash your coat, and then re-waterproof it with a spray. Mountain Warehouse do a good one called Wash & Proof.

GrandmaMoira Wed 11-Sep-19 10:31:51

Could you hang it on the washing line - fresh air may help.

kittylester Wed 11-Sep-19 10:38:14

What minimoon said.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:13:30

MiniMoon is spot on. I do with success.

shysal Wed 11-Sep-19 12:38:32

I put my waterproof jacket and trousers through a rinse cycle on my machine without detergent then line dry.

Blinko Wed 11-Sep-19 13:05:01

I machine wash my waterproof mac in the machine, using a washing agent without surfectants. Then reproof with a proofing spray.

As a long time rambler, out in all weathers, this has always worked for me.

humptydumpty Wed 11-Sep-19 13:33:28

Maybe it can be dry-cleaned?

merlotgran Wed 11-Sep-19 13:36:28

Put it in the tumble drier with two or three softener sheets on the cool setting for forty minutes

merlotgran Wed 11-Sep-19 13:37:49

Actually, twenty minutes should do it.

Coolgran65 Wed 11-Sep-19 14:07:07

What Minimoon said.

I have a White waterproof winter coat and wash it regularly.
There are two bottles (from Amazo)
one to wash the coat.
The second to do a cycle to waterproof the coat.
Works great.
Bit expensive at about £15 but well worth it.

Fiachna50 Wed 11-Sep-19 14:12:29

I wash mine in the machine on a delicates cycle in a small amount of washing-up liquid put in the machine drawer. Not too much or folk will think you are having a foam party. I then hang it on a coat hanger either inside or out, depending on the weather. As other posters said, you can by the spray to re-waterproof it. I do that outside as sprays affect my breathing.

cornergran Wed 11-Sep-19 14:13:12

Waitrose sell a washing liquid for waterproof coats. May be worth a look.

Fiachna50 Wed 11-Sep-19 14:13:38

Sorry-buy the spray.

Witzend Wed 11-Sep-19 14:17:21

I have some Waterproof Clothing Wash from Waitrose (Waitrose brand) which I used to wash a rain jacket from Seasalt. Seemed to work fine.
I found it in the detergent aisle.

notanan2 Wed 11-Sep-19 15:14:42

Wash your coat, and then re-waterproof it with a spray. Mountain Warehouse do a good one called Wash & Proof.

This coat is REALLY waterproof. Heavy weather proof not just shower proof. I want to maintain that as its hard to find a properly waterproof coat.

I will try those waterproof wash products, thank you for the recommendations. It has been aired but still smells like an old tent!

Thingmajig Wed 11-Sep-19 15:21:32

I have Seasalt raincoats for summer and winter and the recommended cleaner is Nikwax. I bought it on Amazon, it's 2 bottles, one to wash and one to re-waterproof. The bottles will last 4-5 uses so worth the expense.
Seems to work! smile

grandtanteJE65 Wed 11-Sep-19 15:26:14

What kind of rain coat are we talking about here?
If it is of waterproof cloth it should only need to be washed on a gentle cycle then re-proofed. Sports' shops sell a liquid waterproofing that only needs to go in the rinsing water.

If the coat has a synthetic rubber backing it may not be possible to get rid of the smell, but it might be worthwhile to mention the matter in the shop where you bought ti.

Gran2028 Wed 11-Sep-19 16:31:43

Are you able to contact the manufacturer for advice??

JackyB Wed 11-Sep-19 18:42:48

Lidl in Germany has an offer on this week for a wash-in impregnating agent. This may turn up in the UK a bit later. Look for the "Trekking" theme. There is a spray and an impregnating agent to use in the washing machine.

I don't know if it would be suitable for the coat you describe though. Perhaps you could ask a dry cleaner?

BradfordLass72 Thu 12-Sep-19 06:43:03

I don't own a raincoat, haven't for over 30 years.

SpringyChicken Thu 12-Sep-19 08:09:44

Nik-wax is effective at reproofing coats. After washing the jacket clean, put the coat and nik-wax in the washing machine, following the instructions.

burnel Thu 12-Sep-19 10:49:22

You can buy waterproofing solution goes in washing machine look at any outdoor shops should find it. Nred dry in tumble dryer to set it. Or try hanging outside give it a nlow through might be enought to freshen it up

NotSpaghetti Thu 12-Sep-19 10:51:45

What make is this coat? Surely plenty of us have *really* waterproof coats and are washing them just fine.

Janiepops Thu 12-Sep-19 11:03:19

Exactly what Merlotgran said! Done that often. Could also spray pillow spray onto tumble dryer sheets, whole house smells amazing too!!