Gransnet forums

House and home

B****y ransom strip..Again!

(31 Posts)
MerylStreep Mon 22-Feb-21 11:37:07

Walk away from any property where a Ransom strip is involved. They're not called ransom strips for nothing.
I knew a man many years ago who owned everyone in a village. He did very well out of it.

Luckygirl Mon 22-Feb-21 11:27:16

I would pull out. Sound like mercenary and unscrupulous sellers who will give trouble in the future.

NellG Mon 22-Feb-21 11:19:53

Given the other concerns with the property, re asbestos etc it sounds like it might be just too much trouble.

I'd pull out, there are other houses with a lot less grief attached.

Squiffy Mon 22-Feb-21 11:13:52

If the vendors are digging their heels in, I think I'd be rather concerned about their future plans for their land!

Why is such a small amount of such significance to them? Will they be building some monstrosity right up to the boundary line? Obviously, the extra amount matters to your son, as he's measured what he needs for his garage, but what do the vendors want to do?

Peasblossom Mon 22-Feb-21 10:46:05

I don’t suppose you can draw a little plan and post it? I’ve been really interested in your sons purchase and can’t envisage it. Or a pm if you don’t want to make it public.

I’m just being nosey really?

Shinamae Mon 22-Feb-21 10:43:15

I did start a thread on this sometime ago but can’t find it basically,my son is in the process of buying a 1930s bungalow and we were told that the ransom strip attached to it would not be a problem however it is turning out to be a major problem! Initially the woman selling it said it would be a 2 foot ransom strip but when he got the plan it was just over a metre, as my son wants to build a double garage on the property this would be too much so we have asked for it to be put back to the 2 foot we were promised originally but we are now told there are four executors involved and they all have to be consulted. My son has got a survey booked for the 26th of February we have given the surveyor the heads up that we might not be going through with it and I have let our solicitor know that we need an answer by today whether they will reduce the ransom strip. I actually think it’s a terribly greedy thing to do and so does my solicitor but just have to wait and see, need to know by the end of business today or unfortunately my son is going to have to pullout which is a shame because he really loves the property...?