Gransnet forums

House and home

Clever/funny house names.

(37 Posts)
shysal Wed 27-Feb-13 15:57:19

I have just driven past a road called Pickler's Hill, which reminded me that it contains houses named 'Branston' and 'PanYan'.
I have a boring No. 50 as a tiny end of terrace would look odd with a name. A local village through which I do a circular walk most days has no numbers at all for a couple of miles, only names, I feel sorry for any relief postman.
What interesting house names do you know of?

grannyactivist Wed 27-Feb-13 16:12:31

My husband's late gran was a wonderful woman in very many ways, but she was a dreadful snob and once told me that her son (my father in law) had never had to live in a house that had a number! (I blush for her) My in laws' last three homes have been Rose Cottage, April Cottage and now Pine Cottage - very confusing.
When I'm asked on the phone for the number of my house I am often self-conscious about the fact that it hasn't one, just a name, and I usually make some kind of disparaging remark along the lines of, "it sounds much posher than it is". I wonder if it's some kind of inverted snobbery on my behalf, blush or just not wanting to give a false impression.

gracesmum Wed 27-Feb-13 16:14:53

e.g.The Old Rectory, Railway Cuttings? grin

kittylester Wed 27-Feb-13 16:20:25

We live in an old board school which the previous owners had called Truants. We call it no. 17!!

oldgirlfriday Wed 27-Feb-13 16:48:50

I am new to GN so hope my comment is appropriate. I remembered a previous house where our neighbours called their semi "Penniless"! No her name was not Penny but she did have 3 teenagers!

It has always puzzled me whether you just name your house if you wish or have to gain permission from someone not sure who?

gracesmum Wed 27-Feb-13 16:53:53

Where we live most houses have numbers but an old cottage we sold which used to be 2 The Knoll, has been renamed Knoll Farmhouse its new owners - sounds much grander, but most people in the village have known it longer than they have lived there so they're unlikely to be impressedgrin

grannyactivist Wed 27-Feb-13 16:58:33

If your house has a name, but no number then you have to get permission from the local council and the Post Office to change the name. If your house has a number then you can name it, but only in accordance with your local council's rules.

Daisyanswerdo Wed 27-Feb-13 17:39:56

We bought a house with the number 13. I didn't really mind this, but I gave it the name 'Firdene'.

glassortwo Wed 27-Feb-13 17:44:31

My house has a name blush its a very old house.

Ana Wed 27-Feb-13 17:54:01

All the houses on our road have a name. I wish they had numbers as well because of the difficulty some delivery people seem to have distinguishing one name from another...hmm

glassortwo Wed 27-Feb-13 18:07:46

Delivery people cant find us too remote .

Ana Wed 27-Feb-13 18:09:22

You're probably not on their sat-nav, glass. They just give up and go home...grin

j08 Wed 27-Feb-13 18:10:15

glass Are you talking about the one in the wilds of Northumberland?

Ana Wed 27-Feb-13 18:11:27

How many houses does glass have? confused

Anne58 Wed 27-Feb-13 18:20:37

I must admit that I did love it when my address was:

King George IVth Lodge
Lancaster Tower
Windsor Castle
Windsor
Berks.

My subsequent addresses didn't have quite the same ring to them. confused

I have suggested to DH that when he finally gives up work (and that's another story) that we call our house "Dunrodding".

glassortwo Wed 27-Feb-13 18:22:01

Just one, Yes jingle its the one in Northumberland. But ana I live with Dd I dont own her house grin

Ana Wed 27-Feb-13 18:24:02

Ah! I'd forgotten...blush

nanaej Wed 27-Feb-13 18:41:55

phoenix grin

granjura Wed 27-Feb-13 18:46:41

Our house in the UK was called 'Threeways' - friends often laughed and said we were not very imaginative wink

glammanana Wed 27-Feb-13 18:50:03

Ours is no 11 but because we live on the 1st floor my neighbour underneath sends her Avon orders to The Penthouse !! I wish ?
My Grandpa lived at a cottage the very end of a Cul de Sac which he called The Last Post and his post was always the last delivered in the Road.

nanaej Wed 27-Feb-13 19:13:54

I have only.. current house was called lived in number houses. Current house was called The Station Master's House in the estate agent blurb..but really its just got a number!

harrigran Wed 27-Feb-13 19:20:14

There is a house,close to my second home, called the dog house
Probably becaus the husband is always in it grin

janeainsworth Wed 27-Feb-13 19:22:46

Welcome Oldgirlfriday.
I have never lived in a house with a name, but our first house, in Heaton Park in north Manchester, was a 2-up 2-down end-terrace.
It was described in the estate agent's blurb as a 'quasi-semi'.
Does that count for poshness grin

annodomini Wed 27-Feb-13 19:26:31

Mine too, jane. Definitely posh. grin

granjura Wed 27-Feb-13 19:46:42

Our current house name is not particularly funny, as such, until you know that it is totally unsuited to two staunch humanists/atheists like us smile