Gransnet forums

House and home

Top Sheets

(80 Posts)
JaneFW Sun 23-Apr-17 15:17:19

Just thought I would say "hello" to everyone on the forum, having just joined. smile

Now, I've just bought a new pair of flat sheets for our bed and after mentioning I like have a top and bottom sheet for our bed I get strange looks!

When I was a child we always had a top and bottom sheet. Is it me?

Norah Sun 23-Apr-17 15:25:25

We have top and bottom sheets. I find two sheets normal.

hildajenniJ Sun 23-Apr-17 15:25:48

No it isn't, and welcome JaneFW.
My late mother in law always used both top and bottom sheets. She reckoned that the duvet cover didn't need changing as often. I used to have both when newly married. I stopped using the top sheet when I realised that the duvet was much warmer without one.

DanniRae Sun 23-Apr-17 15:27:10

Hello Jane - I only have a (fitted) bottom sheet and a duvet on our bed. But my sister-in-law has a top sheet under the duvet - she says it means she doesn't have to change the duvet cover so often! grin

Cherrytree59 Sun 23-Apr-17 15:28:47

Hello and welcome
No I use both
Top is useful in summer and for night hot flushes
Also I feel that I can change the sheets weekly but leave the quilt cover a bit longer between washes
probably helping to extend the life of the quilt cover.

JaneFW Sun 23-Apr-17 15:37:29

Having a top and bottom sheet makes it much easier than changing the quilt cover

whitewave Sun 23-Apr-17 15:50:09

And me. I change the sheets weekly and the duvet perhaps monthly or if it looks OK I leave it longer.

Marydoll Sun 23-Apr-17 16:13:22

Both top and bottom. My husband hogs the duvet, so at least I have something covering me. grin

DanniRae Sun 23-Apr-17 16:14:31

I don't mind changing the quilt cover often because I have a few really pretty ones which I like to see on my bed.

Jane10 Sun 23-Apr-17 17:03:32

I can't bear to have a top sheet and a duvet! On our recent holiday we had to remove it from the bed each night. Such a tangle of bedding.
I don't mind washing the duvet covers at the same time as the bottom sheets.
Always thought it necessary in the old days when we had blankets instead of duvets but quite uncalled for with cotton duvet covers.

Teetime Sun 23-Apr-17 17:05:02

Bottom sheet only here DH would garotte himself with a top sheet winding itself round him

Christinefrance Sun 23-Apr-17 17:24:35

I like a top sheet as well. If I feel hot then I can fold the duvet back and just have the sheet. I have noticed that flat sheets are not as available now.

Katek Sun 23-Apr-17 17:35:23

Bottom sheet only here as well. Like Jane10 I don't feel it's necessary since we got rid of blankets and bedspreads. I always thought that's why sheets were sold singly nowadays as nobody uses a top sheet!!

watermeadow Sun 23-Apr-17 18:52:27

Bottom sheet needs changing more often than top one so I put top sheet to the bottom, clean one on top and only wash bottom sheet. Duvet cover only needs changing about once a month.
The little dog who sleeps beside me is pretty clean but is the reason bottom sheet needs changing weekly.

paddyann Sun 23-Apr-17 21:39:20

bottom only ,I change my bedding twice weekly and wash the duvet monthly( my husband has asthma) we've never used top sheets in all the 42 years we've been married .

NfkDumpling Sun 23-Apr-17 21:47:01

Top and bottom sheets here. I'm afraid I often leave the duvet cover longer than a month spending on whether there's a good dry out that week and what time I have. Also it keeps the duvet in place much better, in hotels with no top sheets it seems to migrate to DH's side of the bed.

gillybob Sun 23-Apr-17 22:43:37

Welcome to gransnet JaneFW I too like my top sheet. It annoys me that I can get some great bottom (fitted) sheets but very rarely a matching top sheet which seem to be in white only. Being menopausal I tend to sleep with only the top sheet as a cover, so can't do without them, I only wish I could get them to match. Also I find that using a top sheet means I have to change the quilt cover less often, which can only be a good thing.

Marydoll Sun 23-Apr-17 23:08:00

Dunhelm has matching sets, (Duvet covers, top, fitted, valanced sheets) if anyone is interested- or not!
www.dunelm.com/

Hopehope Mon 24-Apr-17 00:10:16

hello janeFW, welcome to GN i am fairly new I guess, but it is a great place to share things good, and bad, funny, and sad. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Top sheets here too, fitted on the bottom and a flat on the top, same reason as some others, saves the Duvet cover needing to be changes so often smile

Mapleleaf Mon 24-Apr-17 08:33:10

Top and bottom here, too! ?

Bellanonna Mon 24-Apr-17 08:46:05

Both. It always feels odd when I stay in a hotel without a top sheet. It's not just to save washing the duvet cover too often, but I just like the feel of a top sheet. It seems the majority on here are for both. By the way, welcome janeFW.

Jane10 Mon 24-Apr-17 09:27:53

I absolutely can't stand the feeling of constriction from a tucked in top sheet!
When duvets were first introduced from Scandinavia they didn't have top sheets. They seem to be a hangover from the old sheets and blankets way of making beds.

sunseeker Mon 24-Apr-17 09:36:19

Welcome! I think I may be odd - I have a top and bottom sheet changed every week and I also change the duvet cover every week!

harrigran Mon 24-Apr-17 10:02:55

No top sheet for me, they just end up in a tangle and I end up sleep deprived.

Theoddbird Mon 24-Apr-17 10:32:24

I have top and bottom sheets, two blankets and a patchwork quilt that I made. Duvets are not for me...