Gransnet forums

House and home

I'm looking for a door...

(41 Posts)
Tegan2 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:10:58

...like this one. I keep seeing them on peoples houses but, no matter how much googling I do I can't find anyone who seems to make them. Does anyone have such a door and, if so, where did you get it from. Have found a couple of joiners that would fit it for me but unless it's in the brochure they use they can't seem to look for anything else. Getting desperate. [if you do have such a door and wake up one morning to find it's gorn, it wasn't me wot took it; honest....blush...]

MissAdventure Mon 18-Dec-17 18:12:30

Its a lovely door. I wonder if a reclamation yard might have one like it? Not that I've ever been to a reclamation yard..

ninathenana Mon 18-Dec-17 18:14:51

H says he could make that given the time and money.
Frustrating that you can't find someone.

ninathenana Mon 18-Dec-17 18:15:38

Good thinking MissAdventure

MissAdventure Mon 18-Dec-17 18:21:51

Well, I watch all the 'doing up a house' programmes. smile
Incidentally I've just looked on eBay, and they have lots of rustic looking oak doors.

ninathenana Mon 18-Dec-17 18:23:27

www.timberwindows.com

Third pic down, you can request a brochure.
I Googled timber cottage style door.

blossom14 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:25:23

If you have an E-bay account you can find reclaimed doors there, just restrict your search to within 10 - 25 miles (or however far you at willing to travel) from your post code.

Tegan2 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:38:48

nina; I'm drooling over those doors! My worry is that, because the joiner seems to expect me to find to order the door I might buy one the wrong size!! It's actually for the kitchen; used to be an external door till we had a utility room built, but I still want to keep is as an external door for security. Trouble is, my last dog ate part of the door years ago and I'm scared that when I eventually replace it I'll get another dog and my new door will get eaten, too! I need new doors everywhere but can't decide what style to go for [not very good at making decisions]. The only door I'm certain about is this one. Everything I've done in the house recently I've been unhappy with [colour of carpet I bought; tiles on hall floor which had to be chosen in a hurry aren't quite right etc etc]. Can't make a mistake with the doors, too. I'll never have a cottage now, but feel a cottage style door would lull me into thinking I'm in one. Always feel it's important to not change a house, period wise, but when you live in a 1960's box something has to give.

mcem Mon 18-Dec-17 18:39:34

Is this an online pic or have you spotted it in RL?
If the latter, why not knock on it and ask?
It took lots of visits to salvage/ reclamation yards to find the 9 panelled doors I needed to replace the ghastly things I had when I moved into my Victorian flat but it was worth the hassle.
Good luck!

Tegan2 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:49:23

This is the current door [with dog chewed area] so a cottage style wouldn't be a similar style. All of our neighbours had the same back door key so if anyone got locked out we could always knock on someones door. I once went into town and forgot I'd left something cooking so phoned up a neighbour and asked him to let himself in and take it out of the oven. As we drove up our street my husband said to me 'why did Roger [the neighbour] just wink at you' grin

Eglantine21 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:51:24

I just had to go outside and look at my door. My house is only 8 years old but my door looks pretty much like that except it is white. It's not made of wood though, it just has the wood look markings on it. Pretty sure it's some kind of plastic!

Tegan2 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:51:30

....I've just realised that it's been like it for nearly 25 years..shock...#divorcedwomanshouse....if it can't be repaired with gaffer tape it doesn't get repaired!

Tegan2 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:52:40

Eglantine; now suffering from door envy envy...

Tegan2 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:53:18

A lot of doors of that style are composite and they're very expensive.

J52 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:54:57

Tegan2 embrace the 1960s, Mid Century Modern is very fashionable!

Eglantine21 Mon 18-Dec-17 18:58:28

Expensive eh? Can I quote that when I try to sell grin

Tegan2 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:54:20

J52.Even when the glass has go a crack right across the middle and it's held together with that patterned sticky stuff you can buy at Homebase? Mind you, I can market the house as having genuine 1960's plywood doors grin..

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Dec-17 20:04:57

I'm sure 'next door' have a similar door iyswim!
If I remember I will take a look tomorrow. What a pity, I have already posted their Christmas card, I could have inspected it then.

lemongrove Mon 18-Dec-17 22:05:36

It looks like a Scottish door to me.Is it?
Try a Scottish firm, if so?

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:45:07

Wickes have some that are similar, not quite the same though:
www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Doors+Windows/External-Doors/Front+Back-Doors/External-Timber-Doors/c/1000649?q=%3AtopSellers&show=All&perPage=15

www.theenglishdoorcompany.com/english_door_company/cottage-doors

Tegan2 Mon 18-Dec-17 23:14:42

It was in Alnmouth lemon, so nearly in Scotland. It's so frustrating. I don't want a pattern in the glass; the glass has to be square and I want it in solid pine, not veneer or composite. I've got so many things in the house that are not quite right, so this has to be spot on. the daft thing is that, as it's a kitchen door hardly anyone will ever see it except me. At least I know it's called a 'cottage door', which is a start.

Tegan2 Mon 18-Dec-17 23:15:45

...actually, the window isn't square, is it....

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Dec-17 23:20:51

You could go round looking for a door you like, then knock on it and offer them a price for the house
wink

Tegan2 Mon 18-Dec-17 23:32:43

Knowing my luck they'd take the door with them grin...

Granny23 Mon 18-Dec-17 23:36:53

How can people call themselves JOINERS if they can only fit ready-made doors? My DH when he was working made many bespoke doors for customers, but when our own front door needed replaced he ordered a bog standard one from Wicks and trimmed it to fit. I asked why I couldn't have the customised door that I wanted and was told that as I was only a poor joiner's wife, I couldn't afford a bespoke door.