Gransnet forums

House and home

Are you houseproud?

(193 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 18-Jan-18 22:05:22

My friend is always telling me how she pulls her furniture out at least once a week to clean under it. The conversation usually dwindles into silence at that point, as I think she is expecting me to join in.
Last week she was horrified when I said I really don't care if its dusty under my sofa. I think I must be all 'top show'.
Are you particular about these things?

kathsue Thu 18-Jan-18 22:11:30

Life's too short to worry about a bit of dust under the furniture.

kathsue Thu 18-Jan-18 22:11:30

Life's too short to worry about a bit of dust under the furniture.

paddyann Thu 18-Jan-18 22:13:00

no,I grew up ith a mother who as excessively houseproud so I'm the opposite .My house isn't dirty by any means but I dont obsess about it and its often untidy..or lived in .I have 4 GC who spend a lot of time here and they need to be able to relax and use their things,paints and playdough and dolls etc .It gets vaccuumed and dusted but theres usually apile of magazines somewhere ,no ornaments though ..they are dust collectors

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jan-18 22:13:18

That's my theory too. smile I live in the parts I keep clean, not under the sofa.

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jan-18 22:15:28

My mum was ridiculously tidy. Some women see it as a kind of badge of honour, I think.
We would go down to my Nans, 6 doors away, and before we came home, my mum would turn our socks inside out in case they were dirty, and spit on our fringes to stick them down neatly.

Lynnebo Thu 18-Jan-18 22:16:41

6 grandchildren - my house is glitter and paint and glue and paper and playdoh etc etc
I don't care to worry about things I cannot see!!!
My GCs will remember me as a fun Granny - not the one with the immaculate house ?

Anniebach Thu 18-Jan-18 22:26:26

No, but have three sisters who are, one even irons teatowels and her nickers. I planted blooms in another sisters front garden , she said she wanted no higher than five to six inches and not petals all over the ground! I think they need to get a life ?

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jan-18 22:27:47

My mum ironed dish cloths, towels, etc. Even when she could barely stand..

BlueBelle Thu 18-Jan-18 22:29:58

Not at all, I keep it clean but only occasionally do a major clean.. life’s far too short, and it’s probably lucky if I move the furniture once a year (far too heavy)

hildajenniJ Thu 18-Jan-18 22:31:33

I like my house reasonably tidy and fairly dust free but I've never been houseproud. My DH came from an immaculate home. His mother vacuumed and dusted every day. He's got used to my way of house keeping over the years. ?

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jan-18 22:31:39

I'm so glad. Its taken me 17 years to tell my friend I don't care about what's behind my cooker and in inaccessible places. I could almost hear her sharp intake of breath!

cornergran Thu 18-Jan-18 23:34:23

Errm. Do sofas move? smile.

Eloethan Thu 18-Jan-18 23:35:07

I'm fairly houseproud but not to the extent that I'd move all the furniture every week to hoover underneath it - maybe every six months or so.

When we first married we lived in very modest rented accommodation. Nevertheless, I felt it important to keep things clean and nice because I appreciated having a home - and I appreciate it even more now when I see so many people struggle to find somewhere decent to live.

Menopaws Thu 18-Jan-18 23:46:49

I started a cleaning company with a friend and we got the local paper to do an article of us 'in action'. The photo was taken in my lounge and to get a better angle the photographer asked if we could move the small tv cabinet and underneath was a perfect square of dust, dog hairs, crumbs etc. !

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jan-18 23:48:18

grin

ninathenana Thu 18-Jan-18 23:51:04

Definitely not.
We live in our house it's not a showroom. I don't hoover/dust every day, as for moving the furniture that happens every few months but I do clean and tidy the kitchen every day.

Synonymous Fri 19-Jan-18 00:09:31

Not house proud at all! I couldn't physically move furniture anyway or push a vaccuum so no point in worrying about it. I try to make sure that our weekly 'mucker-outerer' has a clear run through which is why I am continually having to go through the drawers and the boxes into which I chuck things (usually in a bit of a panic) before she arrives! [ grin]

Synonymous Fri 19-Jan-18 00:11:10

Clearly spaced out! grin

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jan-18 00:14:22

My very (very!) untidy friend used to do what she called a "bag job" if company called unexpectedly. Literally everything would be swept up into a black bag and put in a cupboard. When they'd gone, she would be emptying out used cereal bowls, clean washing, dirty washing, etc, all mixed up together.

giulia Fri 19-Jan-18 05:28:22

Oh dear Anniebach! I'm not at all house proud but I do get a glimmer of pleasure from using an ironed teatowel and I think they take up less room in my (very small) drawer. My mother-in-law, on the other hand, used to iron knickers and socks - mother to six sons!!! I thought that was way over the top.

cavewoman Fri 19-Jan-18 06:25:18

Only do what has to be done day to day.
Have a massive clean at the beginning of each of the four seasons so there is never more than three months of dust under the sofas blush

NanaNancy Fri 19-Jan-18 06:32:06

How would you like to be remembered by your GC's? The Granny who had the ever so clean house (that as a child you will not remember) OR the Granny who had the time to play with you and lots of paint, clay, magic sand etc.?

kittylester Fri 19-Jan-18 06:49:50

I love my house and I like it to look nice but we also live in it. One corner of the dining room is full of toy boxes, there are children's paintings attached to walls in lots of places. There are always newspapers and books on the coffee table.

I have a cleaner who does move stuff - sometimes.

Nana3 Fri 19-Jan-18 07:10:37

Can't ever remember moving the sofa, might ask OH to take a look under it when he comes home from work this evening, wondering what's under there now. There's a coffee table in front of it that has a lid and is full of the Dgc's games, can't move that either, too heavy.