Gransnet forums

House and home

Overstaying lodger!

(479 Posts)
Anniechip Fri 09-Feb-18 22:10:26

Hi everyone,
I don't post very much but always read the very interesting topics, such great advice on many things, which leads me to this topic.
8 or 9 years ago my husband met a young lady through work. She is the same age as our DD- 36. They (DH and female) are both big rugby and football fans so had a lot in common. She started coming round to watch matches, stopping for tea etc chatting about this and that. A nice enough person who I chatted to about cooking,holidays etc general life 'stuff'! Her family live away but she has a very large social circle.
Last March she told us that she was going to have to move out of her rented house that she shared with another female as the owner had sold up. She had a month to find somewhere alternative. We live in a 3 bed terrace, both our children have families and houses of their own.
DH asked me if she could move in with us 'for a few weeks' until she found somewhere.
Reluctantly I agreed but really wanted to say no, I felt under pressure as she was having no luck finding anything.
12 months previous to this our DD, her husband and 15 month old who had been living with us for 18 months, saving for their own place, had moved out and I was just about getting my house back to what I wanted it to be.
So....... The lodger moved in lock stock and barrel.
I had to empty a large wardrobe in my second bedroom, clear 2 kitchen cupboards and fridge and freezer space.
We agreed on a rent of £300 a calendar month.
Now she is becoming far too comfortable and complacent.
Leaves washing in the machine for a couple of days or on my dryer in the back room, coats over dining chairs, shoes in the hallway, dishes in the sink for a couple of hours, etc etc.
Now I feel it's time she was moving on. My dGC like to have sleepovers but have to sleep on an air bed in our room instead of a nice comfy bed in their own little room.
The back room is my 'office' so no room for a bed.
I want my own space back but unfortunately my husband sees no wrong. If anything his life has been enriched as night after night they sit and watch sport and chat endlessly. I end up in the dining room or upstairs in bed!
AIBU to say it's time now? I want my house back!!
DH doesn't think there is a problem and says we need the money- he was made redundant in June after 18 years in the same job, but has since found another so we are both still earning.
I would willingly give up the £300 a month to have my life and house back! Any ideas on how to get rid?!

SpringyChicken Fri 09-Feb-18 22:23:15

I'm appalled to be honest. Give her notice that you want her out . If you let this continue, it won't end well. Go to a solicitor if necessary to check where you stand.

MissAdventure Fri 09-Feb-18 22:25:27

Oh, tricky! I would just explain that I no longer wanted to share my home with someone else. How do you think your husband would react if you stuck to your guns and insisted that his friend find alternative living arrangements?
You could give her a long notice period. I do wonder if your man would be quite so keen if it was a young man, and you and he sat up chatting whilst he was in bed?

MawBroon Fri 09-Feb-18 22:31:27

I have to say £300 a month rent is a bit of a bargain. No wonder she doesn’t want to go. Try suggesting a fair rent and you may not see her for dust!

lemongrove Fri 09-Feb-18 22:36:26

Time for her to move on, why? Because you want your house back for one thing, and your DGD to sleepover, and also tbh it’s a bit too cosy with her and your DH spending their evenings together.Be firm.

cornergran Fri 09-Feb-18 22:46:11

You want one thing, your husband seems to want another. In your position I would be having a straight talk with my husband and wanting him to understand that family needs come first and tell her together it’s times to move on. Good luck, wishing you well.

Cherrytree59 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:48:57

Anniechip you have the patience of a Saint!!
Agree with Springchicken give her notice.

If need be check your rights with citizens advice.

Mean while Remove her clothes from the wardrobe and food from kitchen cupboards.
Keep TV remote in your possession.
No sport.
Ask her to use the launderette.
In other words no more cosy nights and taking liberties.

Could you ask your daughter to remind her father that he has a family and grandchildren to consider.
I would also be reminding him (DH) that he has a wife to consider.
I feel angry on your behalfangry

Good luck!

SpringyChicken Fri 09-Feb-18 22:51:08

If you google 'what rights do lodgers have' you will see they do not have many rights. I'd formally give her notice in writing after speaking, to her to get the ball rolling. If your husband objects on money grounds, tell him you can make a lot more money renting her room through AirBnB. If she has a wide circle of friends, she should have no difficulty sofa surfing until she finds a place of her own.

Bathsheba Fri 09-Feb-18 22:53:04

Good grief, I think you're a saint to have put up with this for nearly a year! I would be seriously pissed off if my husband moved a young woman in and spent every evening chatting to her about sport, leaving me in another room on my own.
You really need to have a conversation with your husband about this, and be very clear about how you feel, detailing all the reasons - not least that you feel totally pushed out by the two of them having cosy evenings together watching and discussing sport while you sit alone elsewhere. Tell him that you want this arrangement to come to an end by (insert date here), then both sit down with her one evening and tell her. You can offer to help her find somewhere else, but please do not back down.
Good luck!

Synonymous Fri 09-Feb-18 23:39:37

She needs to go! shock

Cherrytree59 Sat 10-Feb-18 00:07:06

There's a cuckoo in the nest!!

So long,
Farewell,
Au revoir
Aufwiedersehn
Adieu
Good Bye!

Rosieroe Sat 10-Feb-18 00:24:46

Oh dear what a dreadful situation. I totally agree with Bathsheba. The longer this goes on the more difficult it will become to get rid of her.

NannyTee Sat 10-Feb-18 00:32:44

I would be reminding my DH of the (few weeks till she found somewhere) appeal at the start.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Feb-18 05:01:56

Your husband seems way too fond of her and her company for me I’m afraid I would never have agreed in the first place (wicked woman that I am ) maybe I m thinking back to the young lady my ex husband befriended, he didn’t ask for her to live with us but he did use to tag her on to any trips out we made, to the cinema, parties etc as ‘ she was having such a bad time at home and he felt sorry for her’ she was a lovely girl and I liked her, well that is until I found out he was helping her in more ways than one and having an affair
This is not a situation that should go on a minute longer even if there’s nothing in it your husband is prioritising her friendship over you, disgraceful

I think you will have a problem getting her out and your husband will be the problem not the law

suzied Sat 10-Feb-18 05:44:10

Definitely overstaying her welcome. Alarm bells would be ringing for me too. This cosy relationship with the OH is not one to encourage. Doesn’t she have friends her own age who like sport? How would he like it if a young male colleague of yours moved in and you were up all hours watching movies or chatting about books? You need to have a frank discussion with the OH, it’s time she packed her bags. It’s not just about getting your house back, important as that is, you need to get your relationship back.

Grannyknot Sat 10-Feb-18 08:10:41

I would simply say "It's not working for me anymore" when asked why, say "I never viewed it as a long-term arrangement" and that you want your house back.

Actually you have plenty of reasons. It's not necessary to focus on lodger's rights, it is perfectly reasonable to focus on your wishes and needs.

I wouldn't hasten to CAB or anything like that, why would you when all you have to do is assert yourself.

Good luck!

ginny Sat 10-Feb-18 08:21:16

I agree with everyone that has answered already.

janeainsworth Sat 10-Feb-18 08:25:52

I think your mistake was charging her rent because that changed the arrangement from a very short-term, friendly one into an open-ended, business one.

This means you have the right to be business-like about getting rid of this woman, just like her previous landlord was.

But be honest, as far as you can, and stick to practicalities. Don’t refer to your DH’s friendliness towards her, as that will just be denied and they will become defensive. Leave out any references to her slovenly ways.

Your reasons are:
You need the space in your fridge and cupboard.
You need the space in the wardrobe.
You need somewhere for your DGCs to sleep.
You want your house to yourself and only welcome visitors for short visits.

All these are perfectly reasonable and can’t be argued with.
It will be hard but if you start thinking of yourself as a professional landlord it will be easier.
Most importantly, set a timescale.
Good luck.

notnecessarilywiser Sat 10-Feb-18 08:29:48

I'd be telling my husband that I'd complied with his wishes for a year and that it was time for my wishes for a lodger-free home to be taken into account. I'd try to remain on my best behaviour with her (no games with the TV remote, etc) to preclude any accusations of bullying. I wouldn't try to nudge her out by suggesting a higher rent, either (she might agree to it!).

Christinefrance Sat 10-Feb-18 08:31:58

Totally agree with janeainsworth. Remind her this was only meant as an interim arrangement. Set the timescale and stick to it. I suspect Bluebelle may be right in that you will meet more opposition from your husband.
You have been very tolerant, stick to your guns. Good luck.

OldMeg Sat 10-Feb-18 08:35:36

You need to sit down with your husband and have a Very Serious Talk.

Menopaws Sat 10-Feb-18 08:36:37

On yer bike young lady

Kittye Sat 10-Feb-18 08:52:58

I agree with all that's been said. I would not have agreed to having her stay in the first place, you're a much nicer person than I am!

eazybee Sat 10-Feb-18 09:48:23

Your husband is the problem here; he seems to regard this woman as a surrogate daughter/mate. He knows you want her to go, but uses the extra money as an excuse for her to stay. So you need to go on the attack.
Ask her bluntly and repeatedly when she is going to find somewhere permanent to live; she was only offered a few weeks. Have a list of available rooms to hand.
You are not a landlady. (Is this income registered and declared?)
Treat her as you would treat an untidy daughter, by immediately gathering all her discarded possessions, particularly the wet and drying washing, and dump them on her bed.
Unwashed dishes go back in (her) cupboard until you ask her to clear it because you need the space.
Invade the cosy sport watching sessions with a loud crackly newspaper and talk all through them. Insist on watching your programmes. Don't go off to bed or sit in the dining room; it is your house.
She is underpaying you, but don't raise the rent; it will only give your husband more reason to claim the excuse of extra income.
You are going to have to be extremely firm here, not only with this woman but with your husband.
I think you have been amazingly tolerant for the past year, and you need to reclaim your house, and marriage.

MissAdventure Sat 10-Feb-18 09:53:06

Tell your husband you really need some quality time, just with him, but feel inhibited by his friend being in the house..