Gransnet forums

House and home

Burglar alarm/security systems

(36 Posts)
kittylester Wed 20-Jun-18 15:18:11

Recently, two of our neighbours have been broken into - one couple were away on holiday but the others were in.

Any advice, tips, suggestions or pitfalls from anyone would be gratefully received.

Our house has no patio door or french windows but does have very tall windows with some remaining victorian glass.

I am loath to have the tyranny of an alarm system but I am slightly concerned now.

tanith Wed 20-Jun-18 15:45:18

We had an attempted break in last year and we did have my grandson install a simple wireless alarm which wasn’t too expensive. I hated the thing but I’ve got used to remembering to turn it on when we go out and I’ve always locked up properly.
But the police officer who came to investigate said you could spend thousands but if they are determined to get in there really isn’t that much you can do to stop them apart from usual precautions. We have insurance and I don’t worry about it what will be will be.

kittylester Wed 20-Jun-18 15:50:53

We have insurance too tanith but the burglar who bloke into one of the house turned it upside down, smashed stuff and took their safe. The couple are away and people realised something was amiss when bank statements were found blowing in the wind further down the Road.

Horrifying thought.

OldMeg Wed 20-Jun-18 16:21:03

I want a system like my son’s.

He has security cameras inside and outside his house at strategic points. They are movement activated and send an alert to his mobile. Then he can see via an app. if anyone is outside or inside his house. And he can speak to them even if he’s miles away!

I have one in my kitchen so I can check up on the dogs if I go out and I can see them, hear if they are barking and speak to them.

OldMeg Wed 20-Jun-18 16:22:24

PS it can also take snapshots

Teetime Wed 20-Jun-18 16:22:27

We have an alarm system No tyranny juts a simple key pad ours is Secure One- Jelson homes use these in all their properties I think. The only house we were burgled in didn't have an alarm.

J52 Wed 20-Jun-18 16:24:39

As soon as I went back to full time work we had an alarm system installed, as our movements were very predictable. Fortunately we were never burgled.
When we moved we had another system installed, it has some very bright red lights on the bell box that are brighter in the dark. From the outside there is no way of telling whether it is set or not. I think alarms are definitely a deterrent.

workernan Wed 20-Jun-18 16:24:40

Took their safe? That's scary. We have one and I thought it would be impossible to take it (it was fitted by a security company not by us) We also have an alarm. I don't think anything will stop someone who is determined to get in, but I do think that if there are houses in the road without they are likely to go for those first. It makes us feel safer to have it at least. We put it on downstairs when we go to bed as well as when we go out

kittylester Wed 20-Jun-18 16:31:39

We had one before we loved here and it was a bit tyranny Al in the we had to round up the animals and herd them into one room. A spiders set it off once etc.

The people who were broken into over the Road had an alarm linked to their phones but the police said that if a burglar just wears a hoodie then they are not really identifiable.

OldMeg Wed 20-Jun-18 16:34:04

we has to round up all the animals and herd them into one room

Sounds like a cross between Noah’s Ark and Old McDonald's Farm kitty ???

OldMeg Wed 20-Jun-18 16:36:14

There’s a difference between a burglar alarm linked to your phone and interactive cameras kitty

M0nica Wed 20-Jun-18 16:44:10

We have had burglar alarm systems for nearly 30 years in both our last two houses and they have foiled break-ins in both. It is just automatic to set the alarm, which is in the hall close to the front door, every time we leave the house

We are away a lot and it is a relief to go away without worry. We had two break-ins in houses we lived in previously, where we did not have an alarm, nothing valuable stolen because we didn't have anything particularly valuable to steal. But it is a hassle dealing with window repairs and valuations etc etc.

DanniRae Wed 20-Jun-18 17:05:07

We have been broken into 3 times and after the last time we had an alarm fitted. There are sensors in hall, downstairs rooms and landing. I know about the theory that if they want to get in they will but surely they won't stay long with an alarm blaring out - anyway it makes me feel happier about going out.
I put it on even if I am just popping to nearby shops!!

kittylester Wed 20-Jun-18 17:06:46

oldmeg, they have cameras not just alarms - I miswrote. We had 5 children, 2 dogs and 3 cats to loath at one stage in a 3 storey house - it wore me out! grin

We have a very informal neighbourhood watch between our little group of neighbours but it obviously isn't working!! shock

kittylester Wed 20-Jun-18 17:44:24

Its the hassle really and the mess that our poor neighbours are going to come home to that would upset me. Their son and did have been round and done what they can but it will still be stressful.

callgirl1 Wed 20-Jun-18 17:48:53

About 3 and a half years ago, we got up one morning to find that someone had cup a piece out of the glass in the back door, in the corner just above the keyhole. Luckily they only got through one pane of the double glazing, but it cost us £120 for new glass in the door. For Christmas that year our son bought us CCTV cameras, 2 at the front and 2 at the back of the house. We`ve had no further instances, but the police have been a couple of times to look at what we had recorded when crime has been committed round here. They also come in handy when we`re expecting someone to call or deliver things, as we don`t always hear the front door, and I like people watching on them as well!

JustALaugh Wed 20-Jun-18 19:00:20

I can't quite see the point of burglar alarms - they simply let anyone know that someone has broken into the house (after the event).

We've got CCTV instead - 3 cameras - one at the front, one at the side, and one at the back of the house. I prefer them to an alarm, as the perpetrator will surely be caught on camera.

A person driving up our street was caught (long story but she was wanted by the police, and she was caught on our camera, which the police took stills of and used as evidence to prosecute her)

M0nica Wed 20-Jun-18 19:13:07

Justalaugh depending on the system they start sounding when someone tries to open a window (that is how it worked for us). The noise scares the burglar away because he has drawn attention to his presence and is worried that the neighbours will come out to see what is happening (at least, that is our experience). If he does ignore that, the noise in the house is so loud and piercing and uncomfortable to listen to, apart from stopping one thinking that the burglar is unable to concentrate on what to take and leaves. Our alarm has seen off two attempts at break-ins.

Yes, if burglars are determined to get in they will, but that is usually only when they know the house contains something worth all the planning and technical expertise needed to overcome any alarms and I certainly do not have those kinds of possessions and I doubt if many on Gransnet do.

bikergran Wed 20-Jun-18 19:16:55

We were burgled whilst asleep...pretty scary to think someone has been in your home whilst your asleep...my elder daughter (maybe around 15/16 at the time) hered someone downstairs but thought it was dh as he often got up during the night to go downstairs for ciggy..

kittylester Wed 20-Jun-18 19:22:46

Years ago a friend woke up to find a burglar in her bedroom going through her handbag trying to find her car keys. She took her handbag up to bed with her to keep it safe if anyone broke in. My friend was the head of a girls school and nothing phased her so she got out of bed and gave the burglar a good tongue lashing!! shock

I understood that you had to put a warning outside if you had CCTV (!!) and that just encouraged the perpetrators to put their hoods up and turn their back to the cameras.

tanith Wed 20-Jun-18 19:25:04

I’ve set our alarm off twice by accident and it’s pretty loud, no one took a blind bit of notice ??

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-Jun-18 20:34:34

I think they're worth it. We had three opportunistic break-ins in quick succession before we had our alarm fitted about 25 years ago (we've a back door that's hidden away and ripe for the kicking in). Very little was taken, but it's all the hassle of the insurance claim, new door, etc. Since the alarm, not a thing. I always set it, even if just going out for half an hour. DH and I regularly have the conversation about "did you put the cat out of the front room?" "I don't think so, did you?" "did you lock the hall door?" (to keep said cat out), "yes, I'm pretty sure I did, oh, but maybe she sneaked back in when I went back for my bag", but actually it's an automatic routine now and - touch wood - it hasn't gone off for years.

callgirl1 Wed 20-Jun-18 21:17:15

Kitty, when our son put our cameras up, one of my daughters said just that, about having to make it plain that the cameras are there, but the police have been a few times to look at what`s on there, and said nothing about it. Plus they are fairly obvious anyway.

OldMeg Wed 20-Jun-18 22:14:26

This is the law governing Domestic CCTV on your property

callgirl1 Wed 20-Jun-18 22:43:20

As I said, OldMeg, the police know about ours, have made use of it a couple of times, but have never said it`s not legal in any way. One camera covers our back yard, another the roof of the garage, then at the front, one focuses on the ground in front of our door, the other one points down the bank towards the main road, and that`s the one that`s been the most use to the police and to one of our neighbours when her car was damaged.