Gransnet forums

House and home

Summer Spruce Up

(21 Posts)
Brunette10 Fri 26-Apr-19 13:20:03

I have always changed the look of my lounge for winter and summer. I am today hanging my summer curtains, changing all cushions covers, changing colours of silk flowers etc. Does anyone else do this? I think I have inherited this tradition from my mum who did this but not sure how 'traditional' it really is. It's a lot of work but once it's done I sit back and admire and to me that's what it's all about. smile

glammanana Fri 26-Apr-19 13:38:03

I do the same Brunette last week I took down winter weight curtains and put up cream voiles,changed all the cushion covers to lighter shades and I take up the rug over the wooden floor for the summer,I even change the dogs bed covers from furry ones to cotton ones,a mini make over does you the world of good imo.

ninathenana Fri 26-Apr-19 18:25:22

I only have one set of curtains, full length at the patio doors and short at the dining window (same room) We never close them, they are only for show so no need for ones for winter and summer.

Charleygirl5 Fri 26-Apr-19 18:29:39

No- I really could not be bothered apart from the minor fact I only have one set of curtains and they were changed very recently.

Jomarie Fri 26-Apr-19 18:34:48

I don't as, same as above, we only have curtains for "decoration" not for closing but I do remember my Granny doing this in her house and me asking my mother why we didn't change our curtains too and her answer was that Granny was posh and we weren't! In other words we couldn't afford another set of curtains. This seemed fair enough in my child's view because we also differed from Granny in that we had a front room and a back room whereas Granny had a 'drawing room and a dining room. Funny how things stick in your mind from way way back. I loved my Granny to bits which is why I asked my DC for the GCs to call me Granny in her honour. I just hope I'm half as nice to them as she was to me and my sisters. smile

CanadianGran Fri 26-Apr-19 18:59:43

I thought that was just something that home décor magazines promoted to sell more 'stuff''!

My décor stays the same all year... year after year! The only think that changes is the heavy coverlet off the bed.

cornergran Fri 26-Apr-19 19:22:03

I changed ours a couple of weeks ago, curtains, throws, rug cushion covers and a canvas. Love a different look. I also changed from my winter to my summer slippers grin.

Callistemon Fri 26-Apr-19 19:40:04

Having changed the curtains every six months for my Mum after she was unable to do this herself the answer is NO!
grin

The only thing I change is from winter to summer duvet (but not yet).

Greenfinch Fri 26-Apr-19 20:03:33

No,I don't do it. I have never thought about it and nobody I know does it but if it gives you pleasure ,why not? I think I am basically too lazy to do it!

M0nica Fri 26-Apr-19 20:27:57

My aunt and grandmother always did this, but my mother never did. When you live in a succession of army quarters complete with furnishings and soft furnishings, you get one set of curtains only and you certainly do not buy any yourself, they will never fit another quarter.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 27-Apr-19 16:27:36

I no longer do it, but I used to. Still spring clean though.

phoenix Sat 27-Apr-19 16:43:10

In our bedroom I have deep burgundy/wine coloured curtains, bedding and even bedside lampshades for the winter months, last weekend I swapped them all for the light fresh green that had been put away in the autumn. (Yes, lampshades too!)

Gives the room a whole new look, without having to decorate!

phoenix Sat 27-Apr-19 16:46:21

PS. The whole thing took 30 minutes, if you don't count the time I spent trying to remember exactly in which "safe place" I had stored the lampshades blush

kittylester Sat 27-Apr-19 16:49:04

I thought that my parent's inane were really posh as they had a winter sitting room and a summer one.

I suspect it was because the summer one was too expensive and difficult to keep warm in the winter as it was much bigger..

chloe1984 Sat 27-Apr-19 16:59:24

Always change Winter curtains, cushion covers , duvet and bed room ones as well

M0nica Sat 27-Apr-19 17:06:13

Gosh. I would never have time to make them, let alone change and launder them every year.

M0nica Sat 27-Apr-19 17:06:45

..... not to mention the expense.

phoenix Sat 27-Apr-19 17:12:08

M0nica both my winter and summer curtains were pretty cheap, winter ones from Terrys Fabrics, about £35, summer ones from Kaleidoscope, many, many years ago!

I don't buy new ones each time, just have the 2 sets that I swap over.

Charleygirl5 Sat 27-Apr-19 17:19:24

Even if I could be bothered I do not have space to store winter and summer items.

Callistemon Sat 27-Apr-19 18:09:42

I do have some lighter curtains for our bedroom but so far have not attached the blackout linings to them so they are still in the packet (since last spring).
blush

BrandyButter Sat 27-Apr-19 18:18:38

I change a few things like the cushions, lighter- weight curtains and lighter quilts on the beds, it is so everything feels 'summery' then in winter I like heavier colours and patterns to keep cosy and warm.