Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone recommend a topper for mattress

(22 Posts)
jeanie99 Wed 22-May-19 23:40:16

I am wanting to purchase a topper to soften the firm bed which we have in the spare bedroom.
I've had a look round and done quite a bit of research but the prices are from about £30 to £180 with different fillings and thicknesses.
Does anyone have a topper they could recommend?

Doodle Wed 22-May-19 23:48:11

Have you thought about just using a duvet on top of the mattress and under the sheet. I find that makes a comfortable base to sleep on.

jeanie99 Thu 23-May-19 00:01:41

Doodle,
I did in fact think about that strangely enough, but thought it would be too thin but it's certainly worth trying.
Does the duvet stay in place?

Sussexborn Thu 23-May-19 00:37:57

We have some elasticated suspender type things that you fit to each corner to hold everything in place. Just looked on eBay and they are called bed sheet holders. Might be worth trying these with a duvet before investing in a topper. We bought a topper for the spare bed from ikea which I am told is quite comfortable.

NotAGran55 Thu 23-May-19 05:44:23

www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-synthetic-soft-touch-washable-dual-layer-6cm-deep-mattress-topper/p1519431?size=double-135-x-190cm

Can Highly recommend this one .

tanith Thu 23-May-19 06:25:48

We bought one from Dunelm which felt so comfy but I found once I lay on it for a few minutes I felt like I was stuck to it and it was really hard to turn over it didn’t even stay on the bed one night sadly.

mumofmadboys Thu 23-May-19 06:32:18

Do fitted sheets still fit or do you then need to buy deeper sheets?

lemongrove Thu 23-May-19 07:44:58

Although our new mattress is fairly comfortable, I still like the topper, memory foam and cost about £60.
Ordered from Amazon, can’t remember the make, but it’s absolute bliss.

teabagwoman Thu 23-May-19 08:22:49

Tanith, I had exactly the same experience. A friend loves hers but then she sleeps on her back. I have a medium priced one from John Lewis that works very well. My fitted sheets did still just fit. Am going to have to sleep on a zbed for a week or two so was wondering about getting some sort of topper for it but will try folding a duvet under the bottom sheet first.

sodapop Thu 23-May-19 08:26:27

I have one but the elasticated corners don't hold on my deep mattress. Check this before purchase Jeannie as the topper then rides and wrinkles, its annoying.

jura2 Thu 23-May-19 08:41:14

Can highly recommend the one I use- it is not foam, and relatively thin and washable, and has deep fitted tuck in for perfect fit. I also have bought a single one I take with me everywhere I go if we travel by car, to use in Hôtels, B&Bs or even family/friends- it is brilliant.

From Fine Bedding Co - Spundown mattress protector.

jura2 Thu 23-May-19 08:42:50

They have deeper toppers too:

www.finebedding.co.uk/products/spundown-mattress-protector

FlexibleFriend Thu 23-May-19 09:30:20

I bought mine from sleepkings via amazon it's 4" thick and has a cover that stays cool it was around £80. I love it.

shysal Thu 23-May-19 09:40:36

I am a great fan of all things Octaspring. My topper has made sleep so much more comfortable. I received a free pillow with mine and it is fantastic. Looks and feels like a brick but no more stiff neck or sore ears. Unfortunately this product is expensive so probably not worth the money just for a spare bed, unless you have a topper on your bed and switch them. I hope you find what you need.
www.dormeo.co.uk/bedding/mattress-toppers/octaspring-mattress-toppers.html

POBCOB Tue 28-May-19 10:45:30

King of Cotton have a great mattress enhancer which I bought for all my beds even though they weren’t all needed.
The beds are wonderful to sleep in and look great when made. www.kingofcotton.com/product.php/140/perfect_comfort_mattress_enhancer_cotton_microfibre.

Jane10 Tue 28-May-19 13:04:28

Can't believe I only saw this thread this morning! Just last night I put in an online order to M&S for a memory foam topper! I'm hoping it will be good. My last mattress had 7ins of memory foam and was fabulous. Sadly it wore out. The new mattress only has 2ins of it so I hope that adding the topper will take me back to blissful nights floating on it. DH hated the feel of memory foam and loves a hard sprung mattress. Oh well. Fingers crossed.

Charleygirl5 Tue 28-May-19 13:36:19

I have a memory foam mattress with a topper bought from Dunelm Mill on top. It was not cheap, closer to £100 but I find it very comfortable. I do have to adjust it most days as it goes slightly walkabout. My fitted sheets only just fit, I should really buy deeper ones.

My duvet is 15 tog, I am a cold morsel so I do have a bit of difficulty getting out of bed but who cares after the night's sleep I usually have.

Avor2 Mon 03-Jun-19 20:11:43

Got mine on internet, can't remember who, mine is 3" and is fabulous, so comfortable,I also have those suspendery things to keep all in position. Think I paid about £100 but I think you can get them cheaper nowadays.

annep1 Mon 03-Jun-19 21:06:30

The duvet didn't work for me. Mine is from Dunelm ( Hotel I think is the make) quite expensive but good. I only use the elastic holders at the top. That works.

KitKatt Wed 18-Mar-20 12:51:09

Too bad that duvet didn't work for you. I ordered mine on the internet too, it's fine. Maybe you should try something like sheets for adjustable beds, here's a page on Sleepingmola about those. Hope it helps.

tinaf1 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:56:38

Bit off OP’s topic but has anyone have an Emma mattress or a similar make, they are a big expense if you don’t get on with it.
I have a topper but have had same experience as Tanith.

lynx Sun 22-Mar-20 23:00:53

Another recommendation for the dual John Lewis one NotAGran55 mentioned above.