Gransnet forums

House and home

Where do the holes in front of my tee shirts come from

(78 Posts)
robbo Sun 21-Jul-19 15:32:59

I just cant work it out, so many of my tee shirts tiny holes appear in the front, nowhere else just the front on my waist line. I dont wear a belt so it isnt that. I am mystified I have so many teeshirts that have very little wear and ruined after only a few wears. Any ideas ??

Poppy11 Sun 21-Jul-19 15:49:13

I too have holes suddenly appearing but in my underwear.
My husband and son have no problem with their laundry.i am wondering if I have a gremlin.
This is my first message so I have kept it short. Bye the way hello to all.

SueDonim Sun 21-Jul-19 15:54:52

My dh has suddenly been getting holes in t-shirts. I twigged recently that it's where our two rescue cats like to make themselves comfortable on him. They must make tiny holes with their claws and the washing machine does the rest. hmm

Welcome, Poppy11!

MiniMoon Sun 21-Jul-19 15:57:18

Are you standing beside a work surface at waist height? Perhaps you are catching your tee shirts on a little rough place you haven't noticed before.
This happened to me at a flat my daughter and her family lived in for a while. The rough place was just beside the kitchen sink.
Do you do the dishes in your undies poppie. ?? Welcome to Gransnet by the way.

Sealover Sun 21-Jul-19 16:11:33

Same here, so annoying, had a beautiful open weave linen top ruined by pesky little holes. I THINK it's the top of trousers/jeans rubbing against the fabric. Or, the button. I sent for some silicone covers for the button. They are from a firm called HOLA (4 for £10, cheaper than a new top) and I'm getting less holes!

J52 Sun 21-Jul-19 16:13:34

This happens to DH’s t shirts, I blame sparks from the BBQ.

Kittye Sun 21-Jul-19 16:46:48

I find them too. I thought perhaps it was the metal button on my jeans rubbing against my t shirt. Will look for those button covers as I’ve ruined so many tops

djkk Sun 21-Jul-19 16:51:23

Got to be the kitchen worktop from too much washing up. An apron solved it for me.

Niobe Sun 21-Jul-19 17:02:30

I get them too! I always blamed the button of my trousers but doubt that the worktop could be a culprit too as I am only 5'1" tall and the worktop level is higher than the holes.

gillybob Sun 21-Jul-19 17:09:12

This has happened to me a few times too Robbo always on favourite tee shirts ! The little holes are always just above waist level which I can’t understand ? I wondered if they were getting caught on something in the washing machine ? confused

Daisymae Sun 21-Jul-19 17:28:30

Same here. I keep thinking that it must be the zip to blame.

loopyloo Sun 21-Jul-19 17:32:25

Is it splashes of bleach?

Loulelady Sun 21-Jul-19 17:44:08

Definitely jeans’ buttons in my case. I had exactly the same thing.

GillT57 Sun 21-Jul-19 18:25:54

I had the same then I realised it was the car seat belt rubbing against the button/stud of my jeans, t shirt strapped between

Bathsheba Sun 21-Jul-19 18:37:16

I've had this happen so many times. I wondered at one time if it was clothes moths, but I can't imagine they'd only nibble away at one small area of each tee shirt and leave the rest of the garment alone grin.

Like others, I'm now convinced it's the buttons on jeans.

Cherrytree59 Sun 21-Jul-19 18:42:27

We have same problem on both DH and my T shirts.
I treated all our our drawers and airing cupboard with moth spray and used moth repellent sachets.
This didn't work

Then thought was our belts that was the problem so went without, made no difference.

Finally decided that it must be the car seat belts.

But have wore a seat belt for decades and jean's since a teenager without any problems until about 2 years ago when the tiny holes started to appear. hmm

Septimia Sun 21-Jul-19 18:44:50

They're a bit of mystery, aren't they? I've always assumed it's the washing machine, especially as I try to cram in as much as possible hmm

phoenix Sun 21-Jul-19 19:09:36

It's moths, they don't just go for wool, unfortunately!

Had the same problem with T shirts, I was blaming the washing machine, went all over the inside of the drum,looking for rough spots, nothing.

Pretty certain (99.9%) that it's moths.

Cherrytree59 Sun 21-Jul-19 19:20:35

Phoenix if it is moths chomping on our T shirts why do the little blighters only make holes on the front lower part of the T Shirt?
Often three holes in a triangle ?️ smile

Kittye Sun 21-Jul-19 19:34:28

If it’s moths why do they choose exactly the same place ?

BBbevan Sun 21-Jul-19 21:15:27

I agree with loophole splashes of bleach.

etheltbags1 Sun 21-Jul-19 21:18:24

Ive the same problem but i get holes all over t shirts and jersey tunics. I think its the lower quality fabrics nowadays. Years ago t shirt jersey was much stronger

BlueBelle Sun 21-Jul-19 21:23:14

Well you’re all cleaning too much as I ve never had any holes whenever I ve splashed bleach it’s just made an unwanted pattern

Amee Sun 21-Jul-19 21:27:46

Yes, I too have had the same problem, with holes just on the one side at waist height. In my case it turned out to be the buckle on my watch strap catching as I moved my arm up and down. I also agree that fabrics are much finer too.

Eloethan Mon 22-Jul-19 00:32:49

This happens to my tops as well.

I wondered if it was something to do with washing powder or something in the washing machine that "catches" the clothes as they turn. It doesn't really explain why they appear mostly in the front though.