Gransnet forums

House and home

My reupholstered chair

(20 Posts)
annsixty Tue 23-Jul-19 16:07:54

A few weeks ago I posted on the wisdom on spending money on having a Parker Knoll armchair recovered.
I decided to go ahead and it had just been returned.
It is beautiful.
The craftsmanship is superb.
I sent it to a local man who has a workshop in some converted farm buildings.
It also houses a cafe, butchers, gift shop and a fabric and curtain supplier.
It cost me approximately half of the cost of a new chair.
Everything about it has been replaced.
I am so happy I went ahead.

aggie Tue 23-Jul-19 16:10:44

That looks like a superb job , so much better than some of the new stuff , enjoy xxx

Bordersgirl57 Tue 23-Jul-19 16:14:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 16:16:43

That's a lovely colour. smile
I hope you have many a happy hour sitting in it, ann.

gillybob Tue 23-Jul-19 16:35:13

Oh what a lovely chair annsixty . My first ever suite was a similar shade . I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it . You deserve it x

Auntieflo Tue 23-Jul-19 16:53:21

That’s lovely Annsixty. It looks so comfortable and the colour is spot on. Bet you’re glad you had it done.

kittylester Tue 23-Jul-19 16:59:04

Looks fabulous, ann.

Grammaretto Tue 23-Jul-19 17:06:04

So satisfying isn't it. I did a similar thing with my 1930s settee. What a difference. Now I want to get everything reupholstered!
Your chair is very nice.

Callistemon Tue 23-Jul-19 17:14:47

That looks lovely, annsixty and very inviting.

jusnoneed Tue 23-Jul-19 18:21:46

Lovely, I like the colour too.

SueDonim Tue 23-Jul-19 21:42:15

That's lovely! Money well spent. smile

mosaicwarts Tue 23-Jul-19 22:41:11

Fantastic, it is a tragedy to see so much furniture going to landfill.

grannyqueenie Tue 23-Jul-19 22:48:30

Beautiful, enjoy every moment you have to sit in it!

Coolgran65 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:58:21

Beautiful. Quality speaks for itself.

Shoequeen53 Fri 02-Aug-19 15:19:07

I’ve done the same. I absolutely love it, not least because it was my mum’s.

annsixty Fri 02-Aug-19 15:37:12

What a lovely vibrant colour and the cushion is perfect.

Day6 Fri 02-Aug-19 15:51:28

That looks lovely annsixty. It makes such sense to preserve well-made furniture rather than buy new. I love the colour.

Yours is gorgeous too Shoequeen.

I think you have both convinced me to get my small old fashioned brown tapestry-like fabric suite recovered and up-dated, because it is very supportive and comfortable. I have never used it really. (I bought the almost un-used small but solid sofa and two armchairs on Ebay almost ten years ago - very cheaply - for my summer-house, and had visions of covering them in blue-ish stripey deck chair fabric to make a sort of summery beach hut look in there, but it never happened, due to a number of health issues over the years. The suite, covered in stuff dumped in there, faded in the sun-light.) Now I need a suite for a second sitting room we've gained in our forever home, so you ladies have convinced me to waste-not, want-not and up-cycle that upright comfy suite I have never used!

glammanana Fri 02-Aug-19 16:05:18

What a wonderful job he has done Annsixty the colour is lovely please enjoy your comfy new chair.x

Shoequeen53 Fri 02-Aug-19 16:53:20

I thoroughly recommend it, Day6. I dread to think what that chair would cost if I’d bought a new one and it would have broken my heart to get rid of Mum’s “ladies” chair. It cost me £280 including the fabric to have it restored.

Glammy57 Fri 02-Aug-19 18:55:00

annsixty. Your chair looks lovely and has inspired me to have my two Parker Knoll, Penhurst chairs, re-upholstered.