Gransnet forums

House and home

Central heating

(30 Posts)
Peonyrose Tue 01-Oct-19 17:57:46

I have got my central heating on, I have tried to wait as the thermometer says it's warm enough, goodness knows how I will get on when it's really cold!

Keeper1 Tue 01-Oct-19 18:01:17

I have too. Our house is quite cool so pleasant in the warmer months but with all the rain we are having the damp air makes it feel cooler. So heating on to take the chill off and warmer clothes being pulled out of hibernation too.

Septimia Tue 01-Oct-19 18:02:20

We put ours on today. I might change the thermostat so that it doesn't come on so much, but frost is forecast for the end of the week, so I think we're justified. We didn't want to wait until it was really cold in case the boiler (despite being serviced) decided not to co-operate!

gillybob Tue 01-Oct-19 18:03:19

I have been off work today and had to put our heating on too . Dreading the winter .

Sara65 Tue 01-Oct-19 18:04:28

I haven’t given in yet, I tend to go a few weeks just lighting the fires at night unless it gets really cold.

But I’m by no means a martyr, if I’m still cold, it will go on

tanith Tue 01-Oct-19 18:10:54

I haven't felt cold yet.

M0nica Tue 01-Oct-19 18:13:50

Our CH does not have an on/off switch. It is controlled only by the thermostat. We keep it set at 18.5 degrees and so far it has come on for less than an hour on one or two mornings only.

It is actually quite annoying at the moment as I do not have a tumble dryer, I use a drying rack in the garage, and I have one or two heavy cotton items I want to get dried ironed and put away before we go away for a week tomorrow and putting them on the radiator is a good way of accelerating the drying.

LondonGranny Tue 01-Oct-19 18:24:42

Really extremely lucky in this house. Really well insulated and good double glazing. We don't have the heating on much at all unless it's a particularly cold winter. Just doing cooking keeps us toasty, possibly because it's a small house. Also being in the middle of a huge city helps too...we just absorb heat from all around us. I have a max/min thermometer in the garden and it's a rare day that it gets down to freezing.

SueDonim Tue 01-Oct-19 20:04:21

It's been 8.5deg here today in Scotland so yes, the heating's on! I don't decide to put the CH on by date, I go by the temperature.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 01-Oct-19 20:22:28

Our heating is always set at 21c. At the moment it is set to come on for an hour morning and evenings and has hardly done so yet.

Eventually it is on all day.

SirChenjin Tue 01-Oct-19 20:31:19

Ours has been on in the mornings and evenings for a while now (Edinburgh). When I left for work this morning it was really chilly - winter is definitely on the horizon sadly

Pantglas2 Tue 01-Oct-19 21:37:18

No CH yet but have had gas fire on for a couple of hours this last week. Usually last until end October before doing so unless temperatures plummet but home is wall and loft insulated, with double glazing as thick curtains.

aggie Tue 01-Oct-19 21:56:37

Underfloor heating is on by the timer , I am told the thermostat should turn it off if it is warm enough , but ! I find it is better to just have it in before I get up , then give it a boost if needed later .
DD next door keeps hers on 24 hrs but sets the thermostat low , horses for courses

BlueBelle Tue 01-Oct-19 21:58:53

I don’t have any central heating so no mines not on but I have got my hot water bottle out ??

MiniMoon Tue 01-Oct-19 22:04:04

I've had our heating on twice today. Once this morning, and for an hour or so this evening. I wanted to dry some tee shirts of DH, so put them on the radiators.
I tend to go by how cold I get, as to when to have the heating on.
Besides, this house faces east, so in winter, it only gets the sun in the morning. Of course there w as no sun this morning, only rain.

craftyone Thu 03-Oct-19 06:30:02

room thermostats are often not accurate, I replaced one a year ago and it said on the instructions that it had a tolerance of 1-4 degrees. I have zones in my new house and am testing them one by one, the lounge for example says a degree warmer than my portable thermometer and it felt a tad cool this morning, I have raised the thermostat by one degree for the first morning period. Underfloor heating and I want to get the base temperature right, it is not instant heat

craftyone Thu 03-Oct-19 06:34:19

I just read your post aggie. Heating engineer says he keeps his at his house on at 18 all the time and gives it a manual boost. That is too cold for me, takes ages to warm the floor. Mine is on 24/7 with a warmer temperature, I am relying on the thermostat to turn it off later. Only downstairs, quicker and more familiar radiators upstairs

fizzers Thu 03-Oct-19 07:19:43

Mine's set at 17 and on all of the time, if it's very cold I just turn up the thermostat, I can't bear the heating on when am in bed so that temperature suits me fine

MandyFitz Thu 07-Nov-19 08:16:20

I bought 2 electric heaters this year, because last winter i though I'd freeze to death relying on central heating!

travelsafar Thu 07-Nov-19 08:27:26

We have ours on for an hour in the morning and the evening. But if it is chilly in the afternoon when i am sitting down i put it on for an extra hour. Usually this is when my DH has gone for a lie down and i am sitting down watching tv, reading or knitting. Once i have shut the door to the sitting room it becomes toasty warm and i love it, 'as snug as a bug in a rug springs to mind.' Cant bear feeling cold and with the heating allowance due sometimes this month i don't intend to be . Once winter really kicks in it will be on all day. I must admit when i first retired we were both scared to use too much heating in case we couldn't pay the bill and i remember sitting around in temperature of 17 or below and feeling pretty miserable, but now we don't. Heating when you are older and have aches and pains, and COPD is essential to your well being. After all, that's what the fuel allowance is for. smile

Newquay Thu 07-Nov-19 09:16:09

We’ve had ours on briefly, as soon as radiators warm up we switch it off here in very wet Staffs! I have a fleece over me when I sit. Very grateful for the heating allowance.

SalsaQueen Thu 07-Nov-19 14:10:42

I've been having my heating on for a month at least. It's on from 7am to 10pm. I even leave it on, at about 18 degrees, when I'm out. I can't stand being cold.

SueDonim Thu 07-Nov-19 14:58:39

I'm at home this afternoon with the heating on. It's 4.5 deg outside and it's been sleeting. shock

tanith Thu 07-Nov-19 15:00:29

I’m still using it for an hour morning and evening most days but it will soon be needing to be on constant at 18* in the day and 14* at night. That worked for me last Winter and my bills/ usage was ok bill wise.

annep1 Thu 07-Nov-19 16:20:37

I seem to have no body thermostat so ours is on off all day and evening with the living room door thrown open at times to let cool air in and cold drinks. Ten minutes later I'm freezing.