Gransnet forums

House and home

Put up with it?

(71 Posts)
watermeadow Sat 18-Jan-20 10:19:04

It takes a while to get used to a new appliance, by which time it’s too late to send it back. Do you put up with it’s shortcomings for years, because it was expensive?
I’ve had my cordless vacuum cleaner (Bosch) for a year and it’s such a disappointment, obviously never tested by anyone old. Difficult, awkward, dirty, stupidly bad design.
I’ve never actually had a vacuum which I did like so could waste a lot by repeatedly buying a new one then finding it’s as bad as the rest.

vampirequeen Sat 18-Jan-20 10:21:48

I've never bought anything that bad but I have been disappointed with some things. If the vacuum cleaner is that bad I might cut my losses and get an easier one but only if I could afford to otherwise I'd be stick with it.

Curlywhirly Sat 18-Jan-20 10:40:26

Well, if I have/use something that I just can't live with, I give it to my grateful youngest son and replace it (I know not everyone can afford to do this). I have a Shark hoover (corded) and after 4 Dysons (corded) over many years, it is brilliant, so much better than the Dysons. My other son has a cordless Dyson and loves it, but seeing as we have a labrador that moults continuously, I didn't want a cordless, as I hoover up consrantly.

Whiff Sat 18-Jan-20 10:58:23

Watermeadow I have just brought a cordless Bosch must say I love it. My old vac was to heavy. I have problems with my limbs and loss of strength in my arms. It was the lightest one in Currys. Fine it easy to use and empty. What suits one person doesn't always suit everyone.

Eglantine21 Sat 18-Jan-20 11:47:45

No. I don’t put up with anything if I have the means to change it. I just don’t. Out it goes!

Moving in with my partner has been a challenge. I must try to cultivate some of his acceptance of things as they are.

Or maybe not......

kittylester Sat 18-Jan-20 11:55:09

I've got a shark corded which is brilliant, mostly used by our cleaner, but I bought a dirt cheap cordless for between times.

Two of my children have Dyson Cordless but I'm not keen.

wot Sat 18-Jan-20 12:06:03

Shark vacuums (corded and lift away) are brilliant.

Franbern Sat 18-Jan-20 12:26:24

Spent years trying to find vacuum cleaner that I liked. Different types, different makes (cordless, bagless, corded, with bags). Nothing was right. Like my old large Dyson 4, but could not move it upstairs and it was heavy, and cost a fortuante if it broke down.
For Christmas 2018, my children bought for me a package of GTech upright cordless and handheld cordless.
From when I first used them both I knew I had discovered what I had been looking for = for over twenty years. These were brilliant in my house and are equally brilliant in my flat and the cordless one is ideal for the car.
Cannot fault them in anyway at all.

ExperiencedNotOld Sat 18-Jan-20 12:29:00

Absolutely agree on the Shark. Miles ahead of Dyson but you do need to keep the filters washed.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Jan-20 12:30:52

Yes, I put up with things, probably to my own detriment.
I'm using a phone which overheats, randomly jumps from feature to feature, and switches off for longer and longer periods..

I just don't enjoy change.

rosecarmel Sat 18-Jan-20 14:12:53

The financial relationships between corporations and world governments have "changed" everything and not for the better except for investors, corporations and those in government-

Their practices and policies place financial burdens on the rest of the world while they rake in profits- Trying to stop it is like spitting at a raging wildfire, or spitting at your neighbor, who is impoverished, ignorant, bigoted and steeping in the lies told to them by their government, or spitting at your wealthy neighbor because they financially benefit from the burden being placed on persons around the world and the earth itself- Its like spitting into the wind-

Not many are in the financial position to protect themselves from succumbing to destitution due to unexpected life events, yet many pretend to be- Believing a ship won't sink even while it's steadily taking on water is the epitome of denial-

GrandmaMoira Sat 18-Jan-20 14:45:30

I always liked uprights but when mine needed replacement my son bought a Henry. It did work very well but I found it too heavy and awkward, I hated using it and could not carry it up or down stairs. When my son left home I gave it to him.
I know have a cordless Dyson as recommended by my SIL. I'm really happy with this, hoovering is so much easier.

SparklyGrandma Sat 18-Jan-20 14:55:26

I have a Miele Cat and Dog, works brilliantly, is light. Practically sucks the carpet up.

GillT57 Sat 18-Jan-20 15:26:43

I have a Bosch cordless and like it, but hate the Dyson that it replaced. Why not just get rid of it? If you have FB, look on your local selling pages, list yours and put the money towards something else, life is too short! The Shark seems to get excellent feedback, and the Miele ( although they are far more expensive).

Pittcity Sat 18-Jan-20 15:44:25

We have a fridge freezer that has been noisy from the off and we still can't get the shelves in a position that suits us. We've put up with it and will do so until we move or it breaks down. A case of CBA to do otherwise.
On the subject of vacuums, I have recently acquired a robot vac and I love it. Almost no effort required and it cleans better than anything I've owned before.

Hetty58 Sat 18-Jan-20 15:50:03

Either replace it or (my favourite) get somebody else to do the hoovering. I have a look at the Which reports before I buy things (they are available free in the library or £1 for temporary membership).

JuliaM Sat 18-Jan-20 15:59:36

We bought the Gtech K9 package last year on the free hand held Vac deal when buying the upright, we love it! Light, powerful and easy to empty with no expensive disposable bags to buy, it simply slides the dirt out of the canister and into the bin. Theres enough power to do the whole of the downstairs, including any bits off the kitchen floor, and then swop to the lightweight hand vac for the Staircase itself. It's so lightweight that even my young grandaughter likes using it to clean around the Guinea pig cage when shes had them out!

grannymy Sat 18-Jan-20 16:02:36

I have a Henry which I only purchased last week and I love it.

JuliaM Sat 18-Jan-20 16:29:58

The Henry's are brilliant if you are fit and strong enough to carry them around your home. We have still got our pink Henrietta bought for cleaning up on jobs when my husband was a joiner before he retired, he still uses it to clean the mess out of the garage if hes been doing his wood carving out there.

annep1 Sat 18-Jan-20 16:47:04

I have a Bosch Athlet 3 years and think its good, although the third level switch isn't working now which is disappointing but I rarely used that one anyway.
However we are all different. If money wasn't an issue I would most definitely get rid now if I were you. Put it on local Gumtree or similar.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 18-Jan-20 16:53:44

Totally agree CurlyWhirley we have a corded shark best hoover ever, after buying corded dysons including the animal oneThe shark beats all of them , I will say we have a Bosch fridge freezer that sounds as if it’s singing. A bit of a sad song I must admit but we are used to it humming away

humptydumpty Sat 18-Jan-20 17:15:37

Love my (20-year-old) Henry so much I can't bring myself to get another vac, although having broken a leg and now a hip a lightweight cordless would be much more suitable!

Daisymae Sat 18-Jan-20 19:07:40

I have a Dyson animal which I dislike. Find emptying it such a faff. Half if the time I get dust on the floor, then I can't get it clipped back on. I just keep it upstairs, I think that they might have updated the emptying process. However it was a lot of money and I don't think that it's fit for purpose.

Witzend Sat 18-Jan-20 23:38:30

I wish I could swop my Bosch washing machine that has no ‘just spin’ programme, for one that does! You can get it to spin only by fiddling with the ‘rinse and spin’ programme but it’s a bloody faff every time, and just after we got it I wrecked a lovely hand-knitted jumper - the wool cost over £70 - because after hand washing it I mis-faffed with the wretched machine.

oldgimmer1 Sun 19-Jan-20 08:48:12

I'm a simple soul.

Nothing like a Henry/Hetty. Long lead, excellent suck and easy peasy to empty.

A bit heavy and being round, difficult to store.