Gransnet forums

House and home

Mice in my car

(12 Posts)
MooM00 Mon 27-Jan-20 23:30:46

Hello, I just wondered if any of you have ever had mice in your car, if so could you let me know how you got rid of them. I have caught 3 in the boot of my car using mice traps over the last week. I Look after grandchildren 4 days a week so I really want rid of the mice they are quite disgusting.

Summerlove Mon 27-Jan-20 23:43:28

Oh my goodness

Do the children eat in the car?

Sussexborn Tue 28-Jan-20 00:47:35

Check any wiring or anything soft and chewable!

We had to get Rentokil in as the shop brought products didn’t work. They would pinch whatever OH put in the traps without setting them off.

Good luck!

rosecarmel Tue 28-Jan-20 04:17:34

Yes! Not the interior but under the front hood- One winter morning I was driving my husband to work and out comes this mouse from under the hood- It sat on the windshield wiper- When we stopped I turned the wiper on one click and it scurried off the car, across the road and into the woods-

The mechanic found acorns under the hood when he changed the oil!

Whiff Tue 28-Jan-20 07:24:22

MooMoo I don't drive but had mice in my bungalow. Had pest firm in they got rid of them. Asked for advice on another thread I use plug rodent and insect repellers. But you can get battery operated ones. You could put one in the boot . They work.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Jan-20 08:26:50

Quite a few cars have mice. My dog, a JRT, will stop to investigate parked cars as she can smell them!

timetogo2016 Tue 28-Jan-20 08:32:17

If you have a mobile go to you tube and type in mouse repellant and it sends off sounds that mice/rats hate.
Ideally when parked up with the doors open.
Keep your mobile on charge too.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Jan-20 09:00:55

Yes, I have an electronic repeller in the garage (mainly for spiders) and it works. They hate the smell of peppermint oil, too, so maybe it's possible to dab some around where they've been hiding.

endlessstrife Tue 28-Jan-20 09:07:14

We get mice. A humane trap, with a piece of chocolate and flour, yes, you did read it right! The flour seems to clinch it, and that’s what they went for in the kitchen before we caught them. Once caught, drive them somewhere wooded if possible, about a mile away. Any closer, and they’re back a few days later! They home!

Fennel Tue 28-Jan-20 12:32:28

When we lived in the country we had mice living in our van.
You could tell they'd been there as they tried to eat the plastic lining of the floor carpeting. All we could do was lay little sachets of poison, but they soon got wise to that.
They also lived in my piano and did a lot of damage. I don't know what the answer is.

dragonfly46 Tue 28-Jan-20 12:35:48

My DS had squirrels in the car which caused a lot of damage to the engine.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 29-Jan-20 15:38:08

Mice eat electric wiring in cars, so you need rid of them as soon as possible. Your local garage might be able to advise what to use, otherwise try Rentokil.