Gransnet forums

House and home

Toilets, lavatories, whatever you call them!

(46 Posts)
phoenix Sat 08-Feb-20 16:23:35

Afternoon all, usual good wishes.

Whilst I appreciate that I'm not a candidate for domestic goddess of the year, I do have certain standards when it comes to cleaning.

Admittedly, there are times when it might be possible to write your initials in the dust on the thing that the tv is on blush (it's black, shows every speck, and that, M'Lud, is the case for the defence) I'm quite diligent with the toilets.

Toilet cleaner is squirted under the rim and round the bowl every night, and left to do it's thing until morning. A toilet brush is then deployed, under rim and around bowl.

So, on deciding to do a "deep clean" I don my rubber gloves, get a bucket of bleach and water and a cloth, and set to!

Bleurgh! Yuk! What on earth is that black stuff that lurks beneath the rim?? How does it get there? How come the nightly squirt of toilet cleaner does not obliterate it? confused

Cherrytree59 Sat 08-Feb-20 16:27:16

Black Mould?
Bleach or black mould remover?

Juliet27 Sat 08-Feb-20 16:29:22

Wow! There’s so much google information on that black stuff!! You are not a lone sufferer!

Septimia Sat 08-Feb-20 16:30:06

I bought one of those loo brushes with the special bit to get under the rim, largely because of that horrible black stuff.

Having said that, DH (bless him!) is delegated to clean the toilet as, although I like it to be clean, it's a job I hate!

Eglantine21 Sat 08-Feb-20 16:30:38

I think it is the residue of the squirt of toilet cleaner that’s left behind. Is the stuff you use blue or green? If you leave a blob of it somewhere you’ll see it goes black as it ages.?

JuliaM Sat 08-Feb-20 16:36:57

Try adding some bleach to the water flush tank at the back of the toilet, that's where a lot of that black mould spores live before they grow into the larger areas under the rim.

shysal Sat 08-Feb-20 16:42:04

I use one of these rim brushes and also a Parazone bleach block on a hook.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lakeland-Long-Handled-Toilet-Rim-Brush/251664190810?epid=1834368985&hash=item3a985acd5a:g:GBQAAOSwlf5dVpzf

phoenix Sat 08-Feb-20 16:43:59

Thank you for the responses, all appreciated.

Eglantine21 the toilet cleaner I use is either clear or yellow, so don't think it's that.

Must confess to all who mentioned bleach, I'm reluctant to use it unless necessary, suppose harks back to living in a house with a septic tank, where bleach would have played havoc with the efficiency of the system.

Grammaretto Sat 08-Feb-20 17:14:35

It sounds like a slime build up to me too.
I never put any strong bleaches or chemicals down my toilet pan and in fact I don't own any filthy slut that I am and there is no black gunge under the rim. Is there?
Since I have been using solid soap instead of liquid soap and solid bar shampoo rather than plastic bottled kind, I have noticed a build up of a gunge down the shower drain hole but I have my trusty snake to probe with.

MissAdventure Sat 08-Feb-20 17:28:31

It sounds like the black stuff that builds up in the washing machine drawer.

Eglantine21 Sat 08-Feb-20 17:35:39

Ah well just a thought. Actually I never had the black stuff in my previous houses in hard water ares, but now I have moved to a soft water area the first thing I noticed in the toilets was the black stuff. Could that have anything to do with it?

phoenix Sat 08-Feb-20 18:35:47

Starting to wish I'd gone for one of those rimless toilets when we did the recent bathroom revamp!

Even though the one in there was only installed late November, while relaxing in the bath the other evening, my eye level was just right to see the invasion of the black crud below the rim!

annep1 Sat 08-Feb-20 20:54:31

I never do anything only squirt bleach/ toilet cleaner and toilet brush. What else is there to do??

Esspee Sat 08-Feb-20 21:16:52

We don't have water outlets under the rim. Modern lavatories don't.

MissAdventure Sat 08-Feb-20 22:23:35

How do the... erm... solids get flushed away then?

I can't picture it.

phoenix Sat 08-Feb-20 22:35:27

Esspee don't think mine has an under rim "outlet", brand new, fitted in November, but looking on various sites, there are now rimless toilets.

phoenix Sat 08-Feb-20 22:38:48

annep1 please do me a favour, put some gloves on and use a cloth or sponges under the rim and see what you find. I'm not being flippant, but would like to know if it's just me!

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 22:39:21

JuliaM I am always worried about squirting bleach into the cistern in case it damages the mechanism.

Apparently using hair conditioner or fabric conditioner can cause that pink mould to develop in showers or washing machines.

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 22:41:50

water outlets under the rim

I'm confused. If there isn't one in modern toilets, how and where does the water come into the bowl to flush the loo then?

annep1 Sat 08-Feb-20 23:01:51

Phoenix. I wouldn't do this for just anyone but having nothing better to do on a Saturday evening I plucked up courage, donned disposable gloves put a white cotton cloth on a mini flexible brush and very quietly swiped round the bowl ( didn't want husband who is in bed with cold appearing and saying, What on earth!.....
I rubbed hard several times and got very little apart from a little rusty mark.
Thankfully I can stick to my usual routine.

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 23:07:46

I'l try in the morning.

Something to look forward too if we can't go out.

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 23:08:06

to not too!!!

phoenix Sat 08-Feb-20 23:10:26

annep1 thank you for your efforts, much appreciated!

But it would seem that some others have the problem with "the black stuff", so will see what other feedback comes in.

Alexa Sat 08-Feb-20 23:17:22

Phoenix, to clean under the rim you hand and an abrasive cloth would be more sensitive to the curves than a toilet brush

annep1 Sat 08-Feb-20 23:24:04

Yes I noticed you're not alone with the problem. It must be something in the water. Can't think of another reason.