Gransnet forums

House and home

Changing electricity supplier

(50 Posts)
gerry86 Thu 20-Feb-20 15:11:03

We seem to be paying way over the odds for our electricity and are looking to change our supplier. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on who to avoid please.

Yehbutnobut Thu 20-Feb-20 15:14:23

I’m with Octopus. Excellent customer service.

Calendargirl Thu 20-Feb-20 15:28:26

I think it also depends whereabouts you live, as not all suppliers or tariffs are available in all postcode areas.

amazonia Thu 20-Feb-20 15:38:00

Do a price comparison theough something like Uswitch. Have your current bill to hand so you can input your current usage. Bulb have become very popular.

AGAA4 Thu 20-Feb-20 15:38:37

I have just switched from Scottish Power To EOn by using Comparethemarket, saving me a good amount of money. The main thing is to switch as if you stay with the same supplier they will keep increasing the price.

Jane10 Thu 20-Feb-20 15:49:19

I left Scottish Power too and saved a huge amount each month. I ended up with EDF which I found helpful as they have a direct dial fogeys line if you need to phone. No hanging about pressing one number after another. They arranged for an old meter to be removed which Scottish Power had been promising to do for years.

Esspee Thu 20-Feb-20 15:54:53

Money saving expert are excellent at organising special rates. Just register with them (free) and go to their utilities pages. Currently we are with Tonik -a supplier of green energy and pay only £56 per month for a 4 bedroom house in the West of Scotland.
I should say that while careful we do like a warm house, so around 21C from 6am to 10pm when at home.

WishIwasyounger Thu 20-Feb-20 15:56:48

You need to decide first of all whether you want to go with the cheapest or a supplier that is 100% renewable such as Ecotricity.

MamaCaz Thu 20-Feb-20 19:21:35

If you are thinking of going for the cheapest, do a thorough search of reviews before changing to them (but be aware that companies can sometimes get unfavourable reviews removed), and if you are on Facebook, even do a check to see if any groups have been set up by disgruntled customers / ex customers of that company!

I was with one such supplier - one of the cheapest - and just such a group was set up so we customers could support each other and try to 'escape' unscathed from a company whose practices suddenly became unbelievably bad.

MamaCaz Thu 20-Feb-20 19:26:09

And be wary of the renewable energy claims:

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/renewable-energy-suppliers-green-electricity-which-research-a9123566.html

Lisagran Thu 20-Feb-20 21:12:01

I recently moved from edf (£80 a month for gas and electric) to Green Network energy (£60 pm). Switch was very straightforward. In West Midlands area.

Grannybags Thu 20-Feb-20 21:15:59

We're with Octopus. We've found them to be very efficient

Charleygirl5 Thu 20-Feb-20 21:16:47

I am also with Octopus and they are really good.

phoenix Thu 20-Feb-20 21:30:22

Recently switched from EDF to Bulb, switch was easy, price better and Bulb seem to be green energy.

Happy so far, only niggle is that despite providing monthly readings (optional, but no problem doing it) and getting a quick response saying (for example) "You have used £48 this month" they still have our direct debit set at £67. So we are actually in credit.

Perhaps once we have been with them a bit longer, they might adjust it?

Charleygirl5 Thu 20-Feb-20 21:43:29

phoenix when I was with EDF I got fed up with them changing my d/d monthly whereas Octopus leave it at the same rate so I am paying slightly more in summer and the credit pays for the extra used in winter. We may have a cold snap yet. I think they would adjust the rate if eg you were in credit to £100.

mrswoo Thu 20-Feb-20 21:56:52

I switched from Shell Energy to Utility Point last October and have just discovered that although I’ve been paying UP each month Shell have still been supplying gas and electric. The whole saga has been a nightmare and I never want to go through the hassle of changing suppliers again. They always say it’s easy to change but in my experience it’s been a drama.

I’m back with Utility Point - I think.
Sorry for the rant.

Chewbacca Thu 20-Feb-20 22:05:50

I was with Bulb at my previous house and asked to stay with them when I moved to my new house. Because I'd "recommended myself as a new customer" they immediately credited my account with £50. I then recommended them to a friend and she got £50 credited to her account and I got another £50 credited to mine. I'm very happy with them!

twiglet77 Thu 20-Feb-20 22:41:04

I switched to Bulb a few months ago and I'm very happy so far. I review every year, usually using MoneySavingExpert, but in addition to their table of possible cheaper suppliers, I read the discussion forum to see what other customers have experienced before I take the plunge.

Chestnut Thu 20-Feb-20 23:15:18

Another vote here for Octopus. They are renewable green energy and recommended by Which? You can scroll here to compare providers:
Which? Energy Reviews

aprilrose Fri 21-Feb-20 04:50:37

I dont have any qualms or similar concerning green energy ( although I think you will find all suppliers claim it these days).

I have swapped several times. I use an E7 tariff because I live in a rural area and have storage heaters which I do use .

I swapped from EDF several years ago. I am now with Yorkshire electricity . They are good and a cheaper alternative for me. before them I was with So Energy. I liked So Energy and would recommend them even though they were more expesnive for me which is what promted my move.

I just used a switiching search engine and picked the one that looked cheapest ( fixed rate and fixed contract with no penalties ). The move was managed by the company I was switching to. No problems at all.

Yehbutnobut Fri 21-Feb-20 06:28:52

I dont have any qualms or similar concerning green energy

What’s that supposed to mean aprilrose? That you don’t care if your energy is from renewables or what? Please clarify.

aprilrose Sat 22-Feb-20 07:57:30

It means what it says yehbutnobut. You trying to pick a fight or something?

Someone above made a link to the issues of green/ renewable energy. My comment simply pointed out that is not something I look at when I pick a supplier, so I have no idea whether So Energy or Yorkshire Energy are "Green" . If the OP is looking for green, she would have to check that for herself ( although as I pointed out most - if not all - claim it these days). It may well be something they have to do by law so I am not sure if it should be an issue but it was raised.

Riverwalk Sat 22-Feb-20 08:50:27

I'm another Octopus!

I changed last August and so far so good - they do seem cheaper but I'll wait until a year is up then see what I've actually spent over 12 months, compared to previous supplier.

Yehbutnobut Sat 22-Feb-20 09:20:40

Thank you for clarification april. Perhaps now that you’ve been made aware of the possibility of using renewables it might be something you would consider in the future. One of the good things about GN is the way it presents new ideas to those who hadn’t previously been aware.

Greymar Sat 22-Feb-20 09:25:28

I have just changed and will be changing back again! Be careful. The new one was more expensive per month. Their explanation " Rates fluctuate"