Gransnet forums

House and home

It's cheap, and it works!

(67 Posts)
phoenix Wed 26-Feb-20 14:43:28

Hello all, I maybe teaching grandmothers to suck eggs, but here goes!

While visiting an acquaintance with severe visual impairment, I commented on her magnificent display of antique cranberry glass, valuable China and other knick knacks on a large sideboard/dresser.

I asked her how she managed to dust it (She is very houseproud!) She said that the answer was to use a "proper"ostrich feather duster.

A while later I spotted some in Morrisons, for £3. Throwing caution to the wind, and ignoring the fact that it wasn't on my carefully prepared shopping list, I added it to my trolley.

It's brilliant! My mantelpiece is home to a large collection of candlesticks and taking them off, dusting them getting them back in the right place is a real faff.

A few flicks with the feather duster, dust all gone and everything still in its place! grin

AGAA4 Wed 26-Feb-20 15:07:12

I have one! It is useful for dusting my blinds and removing cobwebs from light fittings amongst many other awkward dusting jobs.

timetogo2016 Wed 26-Feb-20 15:09:43

Well I`m of to Morrisons girls.
Thank you.

grannypiper Wed 26-Feb-20 15:16:42

They are the best

M0nica Wed 26-Feb-20 15:50:15

A friend recommended a feather duster to me about 40 years ago. I bought one and wouldn'tuse anything else.

jo1book Wed 26-Feb-20 15:51:12

If you flick your feather duster over tv screen, the absorbed static will attract dust

Auntieflo Wed 26-Feb-20 16:26:05

Phoenix beware the moult! ?.

I had one and loved it, then one day it just sort of gave up the ghost and feathers flew everywhere when I wielded it about.

Auntieflo Wed 26-Feb-20 16:27:43

Sorry, posted too soon.
The moulty one was ostrich. Ordinary feather dusters don't seem to have the same problem.?

phoenix Wed 26-Feb-20 16:46:41

Mines ostrich Auntieflo no sign of moult so far!

The person that recommended it says it must be ostrich, as the feathers are softer and dislodge the dust, but not the ornaments, which ordinary feather duster are inclined to do, being stiffer.

MiniMoon Wed 26-Feb-20 16:50:09

I've had one since I got married. It was in a box of cleaning things left in the under stairs cupboard for me by my late mother in law. Everything in the boxes very useful and much appreciated.

quizqueen Wed 26-Feb-20 16:52:53

I think I'd rather see the feathers still on the ostrich. Unless they are shed naturally it will be detrimental to the bird to have them plucked and, most certainly detrimental, if the ostrich has been killed for meat.

Auntieflo Wed 26-Feb-20 17:35:17

Phoenix, patience is a waiting game.?

annep1 Wed 26-Feb-20 17:35:26

I have an extra large one feathers are about 8ins long, on an extendable pole. I got it in Dunelm Mills . Very good for light fittings and curtain poles efc.

phoenix Wed 26-Feb-20 18:32:27

quizqueen I think there a a few ostrich farms in the UK, pretty sure there is/was one here in Devon.

If animals are bred for meat, it makes sense to use as much of the animal as possible, I believe the leather from ostriches is also used.

If I'm correctly informed, ostrich meat is low in cholesterol, as is venison.

paddyanne Wed 26-Feb-20 18:40:27

a hairdryer on a very low setting works well .I have an old very intricately carved chess set and thats what I use on it .

M0nica Wed 26-Feb-20 22:41:27

Mine is not a real feather duster, but a fluffy one probably made from petrochemicals, well you cant have everything and as I have had the same duster for decades, at least it isn't one use plastic.

Marmight Wed 26-Feb-20 23:23:11

Do the feathers retain the dust or does the flicking just relocate the dust? Just asking ?

Liaise Thu 27-Feb-20 07:29:12

Mine is the same as MONICA'S. it was cheap many years ago. I wouldn't be without it as it saves a lot of bending and stretching and reaches the cobwebs and everything else.

phoenix Thu 27-Feb-20 07:33:53

They seem to retain it Marmight, I took it outside and gave it a shake when I'd finished.

Esspee Thu 27-Feb-20 09:06:14

@quizqueen. If the animal is dead, for whatever reason, doesn’t it make sense to use whatever resources are available to us?
? can’t believe I am contributing on a thread about feather dusters. ?

henetha Thu 27-Feb-20 10:56:44

I doubt if mine is from any animal but I love feather or non-feather dusters, and mine has a telescopic handle so I can reach up high.

Aepgirl Thu 27-Feb-20 11:23:08

Dusting? What’s dusting?

Phloembundle Thu 27-Feb-20 11:24:03

Ate ostrich in Africa. It was just like fillet steak.

GrandmaJan Thu 27-Feb-20 11:31:03

I have a feather duster and had it for years but I don’t know what the feathers are. However it does the job particularly reaching cobwebs in high places.

Dottynan Thu 27-Feb-20 11:35:25

Esspee: At least this is a warm and friendly post unlike the one I have just waded through on different opinions !