Gransnet forums

House and home

Warm white or cool white light bulbs

(10 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 27-Feb-20 17:52:36

We have cool white lighting all over our home and love it, but recently had to buy some more bulbs, unbeknown my husband had replaced one in study but he had bought warm white, when I go into that room at night it seems really orangey, and gives me headache, so back to the cool white that we are used to lol, has anyone else found this

gillybob Thu 27-Feb-20 18:14:15

I’ve got both . Cool white in my kitchen, hallway and bathroom. Warmer white in my lounge and bedrooms .

Chestnut Thu 27-Feb-20 18:17:05

I use these Phillips Warm White and they're lovely. They are not orange at all, in fact they seem quite white to me. I wouldn't want them any whiter.

SpringyChicken Thu 27-Feb-20 19:56:03

I go for daylight white bulbs in the kitchen, bathroom, hall and landing, warm white elsewhere. Daylight bulbs are in between warm white and cool white, I love them.

Lisawill Mon 06-Apr-20 03:37:41

Cool white and warm white are from one company and daylight white is made by a different one completely. Cool white is like clinical/sterile looking really white bright ideal for kitchens and bathrooms (and doctors surgery), warm white is warmer/cosier looking sometimes casts a hint of yellow with orange tint so ideal for bedrooms and living areas (normally). As for daylight white they are somewhere in between the other two types previously mentioned and can be found mostly in hallways or utility rooms. I once worked in big hardware store.

NotAGran55 Mon 06-Apr-20 05:48:50

The three primary types of colour temperature for lamps are:

Warm White (2700K – 3000K),
Cool White (3500K – 4100K),
Daylight (5000K – 6500K).

The higher the degrees Kelvin, the whiter the colour temperature.

I work for an LED manufacturing company .

The different temperature colours aren’t made by different companies .

craftyone Mon 06-Apr-20 06:03:04

I use biobulbs made by ecozone. Biobulbs are very good for winter sad and for doing close work and they don`t flicker, they closely replicate natural sunlight. They are relatively expensive so I made darn sure to replace all of these from my previous house with cheap bulbs.I have a mix, some of the table lamps have a warmer-looking light. Depends on my needs

rosecarmel Mon 06-Apr-20 06:25:03

Warm white-

M0nica Mon 06-Apr-20 15:37:57

Every bulb is warm white. I hate the cool white bulbs they make a house look like commercial premises.

rosecarmel Mon 06-Apr-20 16:03:21

I've never been a fan of fluorescent lighting- Even as a child- I prefer rooms to look more gas-lit- So I picked up some Edison bulbs- They're too bright on the eyes without shades, but with shades they're perfect- Oddly enough they're LED and not standard, but they emit great color-

I've always been a fan of neon lights! Just not for lighting home interiors- smile