Gransnet forums

House and home

Hand-held Vacuum Cleaners - any recommendations?

(15 Posts)
Sparklefizz Mon 01-Jun-20 11:34:26

I have read a previous thread from 18 months ago re various vacuum cleaners and people recommend Shark, but on reading the reviews for the hand-held Sharks, they are mixed.

I am looking for a hand-held vac to do the stairs, sofas, car seats etc with good suction and not too noisy.

tanith Mon 01-Jun-20 12:02:10

My stick Dyson also has handheld function I use it a lot for crumbs, the sofa, my mattress, stairs and corners a very versatile hoover.

Tabbycat Mon 01-Jun-20 12:10:44

Hello Sparklefizz
We've just bought a Hoover Freedom Handy, as I can no longer manage the stairs with our upright. We chose it because it has a powered rotary brush head and we have a cat who likes to spread his fur everywhere! Also been very useful for cleaning out the inside of the car.
So far, so good - but no more or less noisy than other hand held vacuums we've owned.

Sparklefizz Mon 01-Jun-20 12:32:12

Thank you tanith and Tabbycat - interesting what you say Tabby about cat fur as that is one of the problems I have with a rather fluffy black and white cat. I'll check out the Hoover Freedom Handy.

lemsip Mon 01-Jun-20 12:35:15

wouldn't be without my stick Dyson

shysal Mon 01-Jun-20 12:39:58

I like my Gtech hand held. I also bought the extra car kit, which has a useful flexible crevice tool for reaching all the nooks and crannies beside the seats. Not cheap but I have no complaints with the way it picks up the hairs from my two cats. I also like the way you don't have to hold the button in all the time you are operating it, like on some. It has a straight forward on /off.
I hope you find something to suit you.

Sparklefizz Mon 01-Jun-20 13:25:41

Thanks shysal and lemsip

Puzzler61 Mon 01-Jun-20 13:31:03

Dyson V7 cordless if you want to spend out (the brand is pricey). We have a cat who sheds fur too, and I go over carpets with sticky lint rollers if any fur remains after vacuuming.
We have several models of Dyson as DH worked there and during induction he built a vacuum cleaner!

Jane10 Mon 01-Jun-20 13:34:31

Which is the lightest in weight? I find my Dyson hoover very heavy.

Sparklefizz Mon 01-Jun-20 13:40:46

Tabbycat I see on Amazon that there is a separate battery charger for an extra £19 odd. Do I need to buy that as well?

Sparklefizz Thu 11-Jun-20 11:27:51

Hi Tabbycat I bought the Hoover Freedom Handy that you recommended and it's great. Really pleased with it. Thanks for your help.

Jabberwok Tue 16-Jun-20 12:25:04

Stick Dyson for me too! Had mine for three years and can't speak too highly of it! Had to have a new battery though after two years. Still under guarantee, engineer came within two days, fitted a new one without any problem, its been fine ever since! Mind you the Dyson factory is only 6 miles up the road from us ! Have had a Dyson since the early days and always been very pleased with them. Son now has our rollar ball upright and it's still going strong!!!!

Jabberwok Tue 16-Jun-20 12:27:18

Oh I see you've bought one! Brilliant! I hope you're pleased with it! There's always a Dyson if you're not!!!!??

Ramblingrose22 Tue 23-Jun-20 11:28:38

Can I check with people owning the Dyson V7 cordless or any Dyson vacuum cleaner - do you have to press a button on the handle fot the power to come on and keep it pressed all the time that you are using it?

DH wants to get a Dyson but I don't like the idea of having to keep a button pressed down continually.

Purpledaffodil Fri 26-Jun-20 14:54:24

Ramblingrose yes you do have to keep it pressed on the Cordless but not the normal wired vacuum cleaner. Can get a bit hot when using the extra power option.However I’m not happy with Dyson and his political shenanigans so won’t be buying another.