Gransnet forums

House and home

Recommendattion for a Cordless Vacuum Cleaner

(19 Posts)
jeanie99 Tue 02-Jun-20 11:48:35

My idea is to have the station fixed in the hall cupboard, cabling coming from above(we live in a bungalow)so convenient for me.
A machine which is very efficient for hard floors and carpets for a quick clean with a reasonable battery time.
Looking for a recommendation from someone who owns one.
Many thanks

MissTree Tue 02-Jun-20 12:00:17

I chose G Tech over Dyson.
I’ve had a few Dysons and the handheld ones had a problem with the electrical contacts . Plus you have to hold the switch down which isn’t great for arthritis .
So I swapped to GTech . The handheld has an on off button. The main cleaner works fine but doesn’t last long so you can’t vacuum for longer than 15 mins without recharging. Hooray !

jeanie99 Tue 02-Jun-20 12:06:33

Miss Tree
Thanks for the quick reply.
Which model did you purchase?

Bellasnana Tue 02-Jun-20 12:18:21

I’ve got a Dyson and I love it. With a very hairy dog it gets a lot of use and I’m very happy with it.

tanith Tue 02-Jun-20 13:23:07

Wouldn’t be without my Dyson, I do the whole house on one charge easily 2 bed semi. I use the handheld part for quick pick up of crumbs etc.

GrannySomerset Tue 02-Jun-20 13:30:11

I invested in a G-tech just before lockdown, knowing my wonderful cleaner would not be coming. I can get at least 45 minutes out of it, and the little hand held cleaner is brilliant for stairs and for picking up oddments between vacuuming sessions. I am delighted with it - never thought I would write that about a household appliance, but these are indeed very strange times.

MissTree Tue 02-Jun-20 15:32:28

I think it’s the Air Ram Mk2 - both stick and handheld. Think it was a set
Maybe it does do 45 mins. Maybe I call it a day at 15 ☺️

MaizieD Tue 02-Jun-20 15:36:26

I've a Gtech AirRam, too. I think it picks up an impressive amount of dirt, it's very light and recharges quite quickly. I love it. (Well, as much as anyone can love a vacuum cleaner)

I've heard that Sharks are very good, too.

Doodle Tue 02-Jun-20 15:42:43

I have a Dyson too. It works very well. We leave it plugged in all the time and haven’t had a problem with the battery at all. My only word of caution is what someone else mentioned. You have to hold the lever in all the time for it to work. It does not have an on off switch. I have very painful wrists and I do find it a problem.

jeanie99 Wed 03-Jun-20 18:33:58

Thanks everyone for your replies could you let me know the model please and I can check them out.
also I have long hair how do the models cope with this.

Is it straight forward having the electrical connection installed would you know.

GrannySomerset Thu 04-Jun-20 10:01:47

I take the battery out of my G-tech when I have finished, charge it (pretty quickly) and replace it so it is ready for next time. This means no special arrangements for storing it and it can live in the cupboard in the kitchen and no extra electrical work was needed.

shysal Thu 04-Jun-20 10:13:32

I like my Gtech Air ram K9, but it is a mark1 so has been improved since then. I have longish hair and with the removal of 4 screws I take out the rollers and pull the hairs from the spindles. I used a Youtube video the first time. Only takes a few minutes. The battery is removeable so I just recharge it at any plug socket, therefore no wiring required. The cleaner stands upright on its own, needing no wall mounting.
The Air Ram upright has no tools so I also bought the hand held multi, which is great!

lemongrove Thu 04-Jun-20 10:19:09

Am watching this thread with interest, I would like a lightweight but efficient vac cleaner.?The Dyson I have is far too heavy.

shysal Thu 04-Jun-20 10:31:57

Lemongrove, I can carry my Gtech Air ram with one finger! I can do the whole house 4 or 5 times on one charge. I bought it to use upstairs and kept my so-called lightweight mains Dyson downstairs. I never used the Dyson again! Gave it to DD when hers conked out.

GrannySomerset Thu 04-Jun-20 10:34:05

My G-tech came with the little handheld cleaner and tools. Not cheap but very well worthwhile.

gulligranny Sat 06-Jun-20 17:19:12

I got a GTech "bundle" (the upright and the handheld" last weekend, there was 20% off when bought through their website So far I think it's great, so light and very efficient.

And if you go onto their website it's 20% off again this weekend!

MaizieD Mon 08-Jun-20 09:35:34

I love my GTech but was disappointed to find it was made in China. I'd got the impression from their advertising that it was made in Britain. If you care about that sort of thing I understand that the Shark is British made

George441 Mon 31-Aug-20 10:07:28

We are using Deik Vacuum. It's cheap and easy to use.

maytime2 Mon 31-Aug-20 11:24:33

I have a Dyson, but you don't need a dedicated electric point to charge it. |I keep mine in the under the stairs cupboard and recharge it on one of points in the kitchen. It comes apart so it's easy to do. I recharge mine after cleaning a new 3 bed-roomed house. I say new as these houses are not so large as older ones. I empty it, clean it out with kitchen paper and put it on to charge. It does take about 3 hours though.