Gransnet forums

House and home

Best cleaner for laminate floor please

(23 Posts)
Katyj Thu 04-Jun-20 08:30:37

Hi, I have laminate floor kitchen, hallway and downstairs loo. I bought a flash mop with the disposable cloths that you attach, after a couple of weeks my floor looked awful so decided to get down in my hands and knees and give it a good old scrub. My goodness you would not believe how dirty it was ! Mop has now gone in the bin. Can anyone recommend something else please not too expensive. Thanks .

maytime2 Thu 04-Jun-20 09:27:51

I just use the old fashioned mop and bucket. I twirl the mop and then squeeze the excess water out with my hands. I find it better than a square sponge mop as it can go under the washing machine, fridge etc. and I can also wipe the skirting boards at the same time without having to bend.
You can buy a mop for about £2 and a bucket for about £5, I bought mine in Asda some years ago. So quite cheap .
Hope this helps.

lemsip Thu 04-Jun-20 09:34:41

yes but what 'cleaner' would you add to the water?

craftyone Thu 04-Jun-20 11:53:01

I have just finished my laminate, the whole of downstairs, quickstep matt. no children or pets but I am in and out from the garden and outside. Was very satisfying

vacuumed first with a shark cordless then used a shark steam mop which gives me an excellent result. It is pump steam ie it pumps as it is used. Each mop has 2 flat sides and you just flip over. I used 4 sides, changed over half way through the hall to living room and now have 2 satisfyingly dirty mops to wash. They are good, microfibre and very slightly abrasive. I got both at qvcuk when each was on special

I used only water

craftyone Thu 04-Jun-20 11:55:02

katyj, sorry just re-read your post, I would go with the cheap mop and bucket and add a few drops of washing up liquid

Katyj Thu 04-Jun-20 11:59:35

Thanks craftyone. I also have the shark cordless which is great.Will have a look at the steam mop.

Xxjanexx Thu 04-Jun-20 12:08:36

I don’t like mop and bucket as too me your just spreading the dirt around the floor.
I tend to use cheap floor wipes,I might be hard going to start with but I found once nearly all the built in grime was up,it was quite easy going.
I have a kneeling pad and when the wipe starts to get dirty,I just use another one.

paddyanne Thu 04-Jun-20 12:14:19

I use a steam mop and I spray the floor as I go with Bona ,stone ,tile and laminate cleaner .I buy it in B and Q normally but got it from Amazon.

maytime2 Thu 04-Jun-20 12:25:32

I put a splash of Flash liquid in the bucket. I do use the Dyson first so the floors are quite clean. I have tried floor wipes, but I don't like them, they left the floor in my bathroom, which has cream tiles, quite streaky.

Purpledaffodil Fri 26-Jun-20 15:04:01

After vacuuming I use a spray mop from Lakeland. Microfibre pad which goes in the washing machine. It’s also useful for mopping accidental spills because not having to fill a bucket and trail it around is much easier. I use only water and tiles and laminate are fine.

Hetty58 Sat 27-Jun-20 03:46:14

I have the Quickstep laminate mop (basically a large rectangular one with detachable microfibre heads). I just use diluted washing up liquid and squeeze out until just damp.

When I've mopped a bit, I rinse the microfibre head under the tap and again it goes into detergent etc. If it gets grubby, I use a spare one. That way, I'm not just moving dirt around.

I was told never to use a steam mop or squirt liquid on it, just vacuum then damp mop, although it's 'impressive ultra' water resistant!

Katyj Sat 27-Jun-20 06:20:32

I haven’t heard of that one Hetty, off to investigate. I’m getting a bit tired of getting down on hands and knees now.

JackyB Sat 27-Jun-20 07:03:55

I can get a special laminate cleaning fluid here in Germany. There is quite a choice actually. My favourite is an eco-friendly one which smells of orange.

I NEVER use the vacuum cleaner on it. Too much hassle, to noisy. I use the mops with microfibre or other light material covers, and wash them after each use. You can pick up a pack of 2 in pound shops so I have several.

I half fill a bucket with very hot water and a squirt of the laminate cleaner, dip the mop-head in and wring it out really tightly. The mop is wider than a vaccum cleaner head so you're done quicker.

Wipe around (without lifting the mop). Do not rinse or rub dry as this takes away the shine.

If there are lots of bits, e.g. fluff, dirt, crumbs on the floor, you can sweep them up first using the dry mop. I find this gets more than a vacuum cleaner would and you can listen to the radio while you're doing it!

Lisagran Sat 27-Jun-20 07:40:51

I use Bona fluid - from B and Q or online www.bona.com/en-GB/Consumer2/Products/Wood-Floor-Cleaners/Wood-Floor-Cleaner/.
Or Method cleaner - more expensive, but lovely smell! www.naturalcollection.com/shop/method-all-purpose-floor-care---739ml-by-method/?PCode=DSGPESS15&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqb-Kr7Gh6gIVCsayCh0hkgYiEAQYAiABEgKW_vD_BwE

Dottydots Mon 06-Jul-20 18:45:40

I use Flash All Purpose Cleaner (Safe on Wooden and Laminate Floors.) You don't even have to rinse it off. I, too, like to use a large square sponge and get down on my hands and knees.

FoghornLeghorn Fri 17-Jul-20 17:44:42

I use Method. It leaves the floor nice and shiny and the Almond one makes the house smell delicious. You have to vacuum or sweep first though or you’re just pushing crumbs and bits around.

PinkCakes Fri 17-Jul-20 18:15:00

I bought a steam mop from Amazon on Monday - it's a Russell Hobbs one, about £35. I've used it 3 times this week and found it really good.

It's lightweight, easy to use, does the job, and didn't cost much. The mop head things are removable (it came with 2) and washable.

Dollymc2 Fri 17-Jul-20 18:51:33

I agree with you Foghorn, the almond Method floor cleaner is the business
I love walking into the room after it has dried, it's just a gorgeous smell

Cabbie21 Fri 17-Jul-20 21:08:01

I use my cordless Shark regularly and wash as infrequently as possible. I put a dab of laminate cleaner ( from Boyes ) on a barely damp Microfibre cloth and wipe round on my hand and knees.
A bit tough on the knees but my back loves it, helps stretch the spine and relieves any sciatic pain.

grannyrebel7 Fri 17-Jul-20 21:19:49

I've got a spinner mop. I love it! I use it with Flash liquid and Zoflora. Does a great job.

diygran Sun 19-Jul-20 11:11:18

The instruction leaflet with our new B&Q laminate advised to use only damp mop, no steam. I use spinning mop from Home Bargains.

glammanana Sun 19-Jul-20 11:40:17

I came across Mr Sheen Spray & Mop Floor Cleaner quite by chance and my floors have never looked so good.
After brushing or hoovering the floor I just spray one section at a time and mop over with a wide headed noodle mop and leave to dry,excellent results every time.Lovely orange & lemon smell wonderful when you walk into a room.
Can anyone tell me is The Method item available to buy only on line or can it be purchased from Supermarket's ??

jaylucy Sun 19-Jul-20 11:47:26

Vaccuum first then use my Vax steam mop - has microfibre mats on it that you sling in the washing machine after - two types, one for general use and another that has slightly harsher fibres that are great if the floor is dirtier such as in the hall - don't need and cleaning solution, but have been known to put a bit of Flash floor cleaner in the water every now and then!