Gransnet forums

House and home

New bathroom

(38 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:53:46

We are thinking about installing a new bathroom, anyone here replaced bath with shower cubicle, also have they invested in a higher toilet, so many toilets are quite low, recently noticed there are higher ones out now

Calendargirl Sat 06-Jun-20 11:59:52

I could have written your post TrendyNannie so will look forward to replies.

York13 Sat 06-Jun-20 12:02:30

Yes we did two years ago Took out our bath and had walk in shower / new sink / and higher loo put in. It’s brilliant- I used to work caring for the elderly and so many of them found low toilets very difficult to use so when we came to remodel the bathroom that was a definite requirement! We are fit and well but it does future proof the house! You won’t regret it!

mokryna Sat 06-Jun-20 12:07:38

When I replaced my bath I added a wall shower. Fortunately I also have a shower room, as I never use the new shower/bath as it is difficult to lift my leg over the side of the bath. I always shower but I was told that for resale purposes a bath added value.
As for the toilet I regret not to have fitted an attachment all Finnish houses have which is a toilet hose to wash oneself as I got rid of the bidet.

Davidhs Sat 06-Jun-20 12:22:47

Go for a walk-in shower room raised toilet a modern basin as you get older the ease of use will be appreciated every day.

Franbern Sat 06-Jun-20 12:29:43

I am having my guest bathroom re-done shortly. Have lovely shower unit in my en-suite, so really want to keep that bath in there. It will have a shower unit over it for guest use. I am, however having a lower level bath put in, lower than normal one, which - I hope will mean that it will be a lot easier to get in and out.

Whiff Sat 06-Jun-20 13:01:49

Trendynannie6 I am having a new shower room fitted at the moment. I got all my shower room stuff from Clifton trade bathrooms my fitted recommended them also he let me have his discount. Which saved me £1,492 .82 on the shower room stuff and £805.82 on the floor and wall tiles.My toilet is called Rimini ease . I tried some they were to low. They have 2 models of ease toilet . Having a 800x1400 rectangular shower tray and surround with sliding door with proper handles on the inside and out so it is easy for me to use as I have problems with my limbs. Having a inset basin into a cupboard . The sink is waist height so no bending to was. Having handle fitted by toilet no necessarily for now but in the future. Handles in the shower cubicle. Also a wall mounted chair with back , legs and arms which I had from Screwfix. The shower will run off my combi boiler. My tiles are floor to ceiling as I don't like skirting boards in bathroom or shower rooms. 600x1800 ladder towel rail.

If you have health problems and need the bathroom changed to help with bathing you can claim the VAT back. Go on the gov web site to see if you qualify.

Hope this helps.

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Jun-20 13:08:13

I had my bathroom re-done many years ago with tiled floor to ceiling for easier cleaning. There was insufficient space for a shower and a bath so the bath went because although I could get into it I could not get out.

I am aware that removing the bath may reduce the chances of me selling my property but at present, I care about myself.

I deliberately bought quite a large shower so there is also space for a stool. I did not want a seat attached to a wall because friends have said that over time it works loose, probably taking the tiles with it.

Do not buy a shower with too large a step in- you may manage it today but what about years from now? I do not like the bi-fold doors- I thought I could wash my hair without having a shower but no- I would be soaked.

I also replaced the loo with a taller one upstairs and in the downstairs cloakroom, both have been a boon because I now have bil. knee replacements.

You will be told that every shower floor is non-slip- they are not when wet so I have bought some mesh-like fabric which washes well to place on it so I do not slip.

Make sure the water pressure is good before you have a shower fitted. No point having trickles of water for your shower.

tanith Sat 06-Jun-20 14:19:32

I replaced my bath with a long shower tray and screen, I just walk in at one end it works really well. There is no door.

Chewbacca Sat 06-Jun-20 14:37:11

I also had a complete bathroom refit last November. Bath was completely removed and replaced with a full length walk in shower with a grab handle as you walk in/out. I opted for the temperature controlled shower to avoid fiddling with taps to get the right temperature of water. The loo is a little higher than standard ones and I chose a rimless, easy flush one for easy cleaning. The washbasin is also a little taller than standard. No regrets. I can't remember the last time I've had a bath and climbing in and out of a bath to get into the shower was an accident just waiting to happen.

Sparkling Sat 06-Jun-20 14:42:58

I don’t know where you find an installer that doesn’t charge a fortune for Labour. I priced it all up and it was Up for the job been done, but the Labour was three times to cost of the fittings.

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Jun-20 15:02:53

Sparkling could you ask neighbours if they know of a reasonably priced plumber.

When I wanted an electrician I tried my local Nextdoor online. One who did the majority of work for me was good although I did have to introduce him to a dustpan and brush because he cleared up zilch.

The next one was okay but the outside light he fitted did not work and he refused to return to fix it so do your homework if possible.

You could ask the store where you are considering buying from and ask them if they could recommend a plumber. As you know, high prices do not mean quality workmanship.

Chewbacca Sat 06-Jun-20 15:18:32

I had the whole bathroom project planned, designed and fitted by a local company who have been in business for almost 50 years and so I trusted them completely. They decided that the loo and its fittings could be moved to a different space in the bathroom, thus giving a little more room in a ridiculously small space. They removed the old fixtures and fittings, replaced all the old plumbing under the floorboards, replaced with new fixtures and fittings, shower screen, taps, bathroom cabinet and illuminated mirror, retiled the whole bathroom floor to ceiling, replaced the flooring with QuickStep Waterproof and replaced the original single light bulb with energy efficient ceiling spot lights. The whole job was £5,000. It took just under 9 days from start to finish.

SpringyChicken Sat 06-Jun-20 15:37:43

We replaced our bath with a walk in shower, no regrets. A large shower tray the length and width of the old bath and one big fixed glass screen. No awkward channels to clean.

Why be concerned about the likes of someone who MAY want to buy your house one day. Have what you like.

Rimless toilets seem the latest thing , worth investigating.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 06-Jun-20 15:39:47

That’s a very good price all in Chewbacca and under 9 days too brilliant, yes sparkling the fitting usually costs the earth, we are looking for quotes in next few weeks

York13 Sat 06-Jun-20 16:44:42

We have a non slip floor on our shower- it’s slightly textured - that was again a definite! Like others who replied our shower has no raised lip on the shower and we just walk in - the glass has two parts so we can adjust it to partly close or have both completely straight! We had Karndean flooring to match the wood flooring in the rest of the bungalow ( sorry put house in my earlier post !) as the floor does tend to get a bit drippy! smile

Framilode Sat 06-Jun-20 17:57:42

We had the bath taken out and a walk in shower put in as we never used the bath. In Spain we had 4 bathrooms and 2 baths and never used the bath in 15 years. I love my new shower but why is it when I no longer have a bath I long for one?

dragonfly46 Sat 06-Jun-20 18:03:00

We have recently replaced two bathrooms.

We kept the bath in one of them for the grandchildren and myself occasionally but also have a walk-in shower.

We removed the bath in the other and had a walk-in shower put in. Where the old shower was we made a big cupboard.

We have tiles floor to ceiling in both and on the floor.
We also had the comfort height toilets put in.
I absolutely love both of them.

cornergran Sat 06-Jun-20 19:13:43

We used a local, independent supplier for our bathroom refit six years ago. Spent a long while in there looking and thinking. They solved my concern about hair washing other than in the shower by demonstrating a mini spray that can be plumbed in next to a sink. It seems there are three different toilet heights. Encouraged by the staff we sat on them all. Felt more than silly but of course they were right. We’re both tall, so chose the tallest and are very pleased we did. We have a large walk in shower, a wall hung basin basin to make cleaning easier. The walls are tiled to the ceiling, we loved some ceramic floor tiles so had those installed with some trepidation. So far so good. The supplier could also have recommended an installer, we preferred to use someone known to us. He took two weeks over the whole thing working alone. We were happy with the speed as he’s a perfectionist. If there’s an independent supplier in your area trendynannie it may be worth a visit. We’ve no regrets about taking the bath out and the height of the toilet, good luck with your project.

Willow500 Sat 06-Jun-20 19:44:35

Yes did this some years ago in the main bathroom and installed a corner shower - never regretted it. We also refitted another property a couple of years ago and put corner showers in both the main and en-suite bathrooms. We did these with wall panelling instead of tiles too which makes cleaning them so much easier.

Purpledaffodil Sat 06-Jun-20 19:57:37

DD bought a house where the bath had been replaced by a walk in shower. Didn’t put them off at all and they simply replaced with a new bath because arrival of DGD meant a bath was easier with baby and toddler. Candlelit treat for Mum too occasionally.
30 years ago we bought a house that was notorious locally for NOT having a BATH. I think people are more flexible these days.
PS we put a bath in. Probably used a dozen times in 30 years. ?We do have daily showers though honestly.

Grannyben Sat 06-Jun-20 21:09:14

I work in a bathroom showroom. Have a look online at the Tavistock Micra comfort height toilet. Some can be quite ugly and bulky looking but this one doesn't stick out so far. They also do matching basins so the porcelain is the same colour.
I don't have any connection with the company, we sell from many manufacturers but this is the one I bought.

Sar53 Sat 06-Jun-20 22:08:45

We took out the bath and put in a large shower cubicle in our main bathroom when we totally gutted it at the beginning of last year. Fitted units along one wall, extra height toilet and tiled from floor to ceiling and floor tiles. Neither of us ever had a bath so was the logical thing to do.
We also have a shower in the en-suite but it doesn't get used now as it's a lot smaller.
We bought all the fittings and fixtures ourselves and used a builder we had used before. It cost around 7k and took around 7 days from start to finish. We are very happy with it.
I've added a few pictures as I kept a photographic record of the whole thing.

lemongrove Sat 06-Jun-20 22:54:02

Make sure you have a large shower cubicle, one which can take a seat should you need one in the future.We had a double shower fitted, the rounded type ( as in an en suite we once had, I kept catching my foot on the corner of the cubicle) so one without corners is great.Have the whole bathroom tiled.
Have as many cupboards under and to both sides, of the sink as you have room for.
Go for a large showerhead that also has an attachment showerhead (smaller) that you can unwind and use for rinsing hair or just having a ‘half shower’.
Have a large heated towel rail ( linked to central heating) and a small electric heater mounted high on the wall, for the colder days when the CH isn’t being used.Have a really efficient light/lights installed.Go for a neutral colour ....a friend had her bathroom tiled in green, fine in daylight, at night with the light on the effect is ghastly, like a goblins
hideout.

JuliaM Sun 07-Jun-20 00:05:13

We had our En suite refurbished a couple of years ago, and installed Mira valve shower that has a superboost shower pump installed in our Airing cupboard. This gives a really nice hotel quality powershower, much better than any Electric shower could ever deliver, and we also managed to lower the step into the shower by sinking some of the pipework to a lower level benieth the floorboards. The Toilet was also replaced with a Shower toilet, Ideal for Disabled use, as it can also give you a warm wash and air dry at the push of a button if needed, very handy if you struggle with using a conventional toilet and cannot reach to wipe yourslf at times. Not cheap, but well worth every penny. We choseto have it installed into the en-suite so that it was out of the way of any visitors or Grandchildren who may accidentally push the wrong button and get the shock of their lives with a jet of warm water squirted at them!
We also had a new shower cubicle installed in our downstairs utility room, a nice big square metre enclosure with space for a free standing shower stool and plenty of Grab rails. This was rather a disapointment when completed. Due to the floor base being concrete, and space being needed for the water to drain away to a lower level, we ended up with a full 12inch step up on the outside of the cubicle from floor level to get into it. Even with the small set of shallow steps the fitter made for me to gain easier entry, I do not feel secure, and Im afraid of falling. To top it all, the Electric superboost shower they installed is fairly useless. The hose fitting is of a non standard type, rendering it imposible to add a.longer length hose suitable for carer use. It also dislikes being used as a hand held shower, and if pointed in a upward direction, it switches itself into cut off mode and drenches out freezing cold water. Its best use is for showering down the dog when she needs a bath, or showering mud of the groundsheet of our Caravan Awning!
My final tip is regarding toilets. Whilst there are some lovely new shapes available on the market, please consider their practicalities. The more square shaped toilets popular a few years ago are not always easy to buy a new seat for, there are so.many sizes and variations of what various manufacturers consider to be 'Square'!
Choose a Toilet with a good sized base to the bowl below the waterline, and capacity to hold a large amount of contents prior to flushing. Again some of the latest are very small indeed, and can require a second or third flush to clear them, all very embarasing if you have visitors and they are in there for ages trying to flush what they have done away!
I would love a spar bath with a fitted bath lift, I tried a special hydrotherapy pool at a place we stayed at a couple of years ago and loved it. It was designed for disabled use, complete with ramps and hoists for easy access into the water, which was super warm. Just a shame that it was far too big to be fitted into a domestic house, and probably about the price of an entire house too!