Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone live in Edinburgh?

(6 Posts)
Factfinder Tue 16-Jun-20 23:01:45

We're thinking of a move to Edinburgh, but have heard that because of so many airbnbs there now, it's hard to find a nice residential area that is dependably quiet. Wondering if anyone lives there and can advise? Alternatively - are there nice villages close to Edinburgh?

Grammaretto Tue 16-Jun-20 23:35:20

Hi Factfinder are you new?
If so welcome.
I used to live in Edinburgh and there are quite a few who do and could advise.
There are still plenty of quiet areas to choose from both in the city itself or in country villages.

I live to the south on the edge of the Borders. Prices are cheaper here.
It depends what you have in mind?
How quiet does it need to be?
Do you have family or friends here?
Where would you be moving from?
All the usual things to consider. Transport links, doctor, shops and so on.

Jane10 Wed 17-Jun-20 08:19:47

I've lived in Edinburgh almost all my life. The dreaded AirBnBs are largely in the central area and have sucked the life out of the 'Old Town' and made life hell for the remaining residents. They've also had the effect of pushing workers further away from the centre thus filling up the more peripheral areas. However, if you're not bothered about going into Prince St, and there's not much need to anyway, there are several pleasant suburbs. All comes down to cost as usual though. Edinburgh isn't particularly cheap. I've always thought Portobello was a nice area. Lots of different housing styles and a real community feel.
Look at the ESPC website for available property.
Ask again for more detailed info as required.

Factfinder Thu 02-Jul-20 20:23:03

Thanks @grammaretto, I am new-ish! Thanks also @jane10. Sorry about my slow response. Plans are in flux now so I will leave this topic for now, might revive it at some point. Thanks for commenting.

paddyanne Thu 02-Jul-20 20:37:43

My friends live in the Balerno area,its nice a good mix of housing and not too far from the centre of the city,other friends live in Haddington and Currie ,might be worth a look

Elegran Thu 02-Jul-20 21:23:28

Why not come to Edinburgh for a holiday and just look around to see which areas you like? You could do a bit of homework with Edinburgh Solicitors Property Centre (better than signinup with an estate agent - solicitors do a lot of conveyancing in Scotland)

You could stay in one of those many airBnBs!