Gransnet forums

House and home

The Shelfie

(44 Posts)
gillybob Fri 19-Jun-20 09:00:36

I recently read about the new trend for creating a “Shelfie” and have realised that this is something that I have always done.
I love arranging and rearranging my various shelves until I am happy with how they look. I live close to the sea so my “Shelfie” has a coastal theme.

Do you have a favourite “Shelfie” you would like to share ?

Sparklefizz Fri 19-Jun-20 09:03:13

Your shelfie looks very pretty, gilly

Lucca Fri 19-Jun-20 09:03:43

I admire you for doing that! I realise I’m guilty of leaving things as they are. Same books pictures etc in the same place. Although currently I’m into clearer spaces, no “Knick knacks” unless I really like them.

gillybob Fri 19-Jun-20 09:09:52

Thank you Sparklefizz and Lucca I regularly collect all my bits and pieces together and change them around into different places . I add a few of my favourite books of the moment and hey presto ...a new Shelfie is born . Simple things, pleasing simple minds smile

merlotgran Fri 19-Jun-20 09:20:24

Thanks, gilly. If it rains this afternoon you've given me something to get on with.

The shelves on the kitchen dresser are an absolute mess!

kittylester Fri 19-Jun-20 09:21:38

I love your selfie, * gilly*. I rearrange my shelves but they are fairly minimalist.

seacliff Fri 19-Jun-20 09:49:03

I LOVE your shelfie gilly, my sort of colours/design.

In these days of zoom, I'd love to be sitting in front of that display. I have a big bookcase but it is full of books, so not a display area. I also have two quite high shelves, may have to out some new ideas there.

seacliff Fri 19-Jun-20 09:51:48

I love the co ordinated colours. I never thought I had OCD tendencies, but I have just got a new phone, and have arranged the icons front screen so the colours all "go".

ninathenana Fri 19-Jun-20 10:00:15

I have other dolphins scattered around the house

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Jun-20 10:44:34

Fabulous Shelfie gillybob .........I shall reorganise my kitchen shelves this afternoon ??

Puzzler61 Fri 19-Jun-20 10:54:15

Your pretty shelfie reminds me we should be going to the seaside next week but won’t be. ?
However it’s cheered me up. ?
Here’s my shelfie. There are a few interlopers between the Russian grandma’s! (Please tap it to make it bigger - I’m no good at “cropping” photo’s).

Lisagran Fri 19-Jun-20 10:55:02

Snap! Gillybob I have a seaside themed little shelf!

silverlining48 Fri 19-Jun-20 10:57:18

I have a boat shaped Shelfie with a seaside theme too.

Sparklefizz Fri 19-Jun-20 11:10:10

Lovely shelfie pics putting me to shame. I shall have to do some rearranging this afternoon. grin

Nortsat Fri 19-Jun-20 11:18:05

Does the mantle shelf count? I have some of my favourite things there (though a few more have been added since I took this photo...)

annsixty Fri 19-Jun-20 11:59:09

Oh I love your shelfies, but most of all I envy you all your gift of interior design on whatever scale.
I am useless, I have no eye or imagination at all.
When I was at college, art was a compulsory subject and the teacher told me that I was one of the very few people who she could get no spark of imagination from.

My home is ok but nothing sparkling or interesting.
It is definitely something you are born with, I don’t think it can be taught.

annsixty Fri 19-Jun-20 12:02:30

My main living room hasn’t been decorated for 20 years, what an admission!!
It looks ok to me and I wouldn’t know what to choose.??

Beechnut Fri 19-Jun-20 12:46:24

I think my sister in law is brilliant at this. She just knows what to do and where to put things.

EllanVannin Fri 19-Jun-20 12:57:59

My D has got sea-themed nik-naks on a shelf in her bathroom, she loves them and of course if I see anything pertaining to her theme and being a nik-nakker myself, I add to them for her. grin

Your nik-naks aren't unlike those my D's got Gillybob, being close to the sea and connected to it by family. Yours is so neat Gilly.

I've seen shelf-layouts in the shape of a rowing boat which would be an idea for that unmentionable time of the year.

My own place is beginning to look like a museum grin

Auntieflo Fri 19-Jun-20 13:56:07

Lovely shelfie Gillybob.

I have got shelves, but no themes, just favourite bits and bobs plonked down.

Sometimes they even get dusted.

Callistemon Fri 19-Jun-20 14:39:00

No.

I'd like you to come and shelfie my house please, gillybob!
It needs a stylist.
(So do I)

Callistemon Fri 19-Jun-20 14:41:15

Ps I have got a money box like that, I empty my purse of 1ps and 2ps and they go in there for charity. Mine's a bit scratched though.

Ninarosa Fri 19-Jun-20 15:27:34

A bit of a mish mash, a definite quirky animal theme going on. I'm particularly fond of Taz the Tasmanian devil Xmas tree topper, as it reminds me of when my son was absolutely bonkers about him.

Ninarosa Fri 19-Jun-20 15:38:09

Sorry , rubbish photo. It's like the black hole of Calcutta here today.

Witzend Fri 19-Jun-20 15:45:07

Love the seaside themes! Yours is very pretty, Gillybob.
Alas we don’t really have any shelves that aren’t crammed with books, some are double stacked.
Though there is a mini shelf in the downstairs loo with a scary looking wooden cobra on it - I don’t think it’s yet made anyone wet themselves out of ?or if so they haven’t told me.