Gransnet forums

House and home

Help please. Flies are a blooming nuisance!

(11 Posts)
Puzzler61 Tue 07-Jul-20 09:36:43

I would welcome your tips on removing excrement of flies, from cream coloured conservatory window blinds please.

They look okay when rolled up in the daylight, but when they’re down I can see just how many flies have been using the blinds as a toilet.

Should I take each blind down and clean it flat on a pasting table for example? Or can I spot clean?

I’m beginning to wish we’d bought charcoal colour blinds.

Ellianne Tue 07-Jul-20 09:53:33

I'm not sure how it would work on blinds, but here's a suggestion.
When we lived in rural France we had terrible trouble with flies and daddy long legs depositing on the pristine white bed linen. After trying everything I bought some ink stain remover and had success. Good luck!

Puzzler61 Tue 07-Jul-20 11:34:01

Thank you Elliane I’ll do that.

I looked on the ‘net and there were ideas like making a baking powder paste or spot cleaning with a diluted proprietary cleaner - but it’s clear you have to be careful not to take the colour out of the fabric while concentrating on individual spots.

Judy54 Tue 07-Jul-20 13:04:56

Not sure what would remove it Puzzler61 we have a fly screen over the door which has greatly cut down the number of flies that come in. Before this our conservatory was inundated with them so perhaps something to think about.

Puzzler61 Tue 07-Jul-20 16:51:45

DH went shopping and came back with some ink stain remover and I’ve worked on the blinds and the silicone around the windows and windowsills where the fly poop was.
I’m very pleased as it looks much better,
Also we’ll take a trip to Ikea for a door fly screen to prevent it getting so bad again.
Thanks Elliane and Judy54.
3 heads are definitely better than one ?

Ellianne Tue 07-Jul-20 16:54:49

Good Puzzler61, I was worried it might not be as good on blinds material.
Keep the ink stain remover in the drawer for your grandchildren's school shirts!

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 16:59:26

They look pristine Puzzler so it worked well, a tip I have squirrelled away for future use.?

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 17:00:37

How did you discover that ink remover worked Ellianne?
I mean...how did you think of it?

Wheniwasyourage Tue 07-Jul-20 17:02:54

This is no help with your problem (although it seems that you have solved it anyway) but I have always found that spiders' webs natural fly traps are a help with cutting down the amount of dusting required number of flies in the house.

Ellianne Tue 07-Jul-20 17:26:13

I'm no great expert on poop, but here's the story ....
I'm sure we all remember fountain pens at school with black ink, and I'm sure we all remember flicking them at each other, (if you don't then you've missed out!) Well, the ink lands in little dots like insect poop. I thought I'd try ink stain remover on the white bed linen and then wash it at 60 degrees and somehow it worked!

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 17:34:18

Ah! What a memory you have.....using ink pens ( remember the scratchy nibs on school ones?) I can honestly say that none of us would have dared to flick ink ( run by nuns, say no more?) at each other.