Gransnet forums

House and home

Have you had a new conservatory roof

(10 Posts)
Judy54 Thu 09-Jul-20 14:53:47

We are thinking of getting a slate roof on our conservatory to make it a more comfortable and more usable room. In Summer it is very hot and in Winter cold. It looks as though it could be quite expensive so would welcome advice from anyone who has had this done. Was it the right thing to do and was it worth it. Thank you.

MerylStreep Thu 09-Jul-20 15:06:35

Judy54
We didn't have a slate roof fitted but a membrane roof done by a company called High-Tech membrane roofing. Absolute brilliant.
It's the same system that was used on the Olympic swimming pool.
Check them out on FB and Check-a- trade.

tanith Thu 09-Jul-20 15:54:48

My neighbour has just put a membrane roof on his conservatory, he’s in the building trade and did the work himself he’s said it’s now so much more usable.

MerylStreep Thu 09-Jul-20 15:59:19

The trouble is when you use the word membrane people have the image of those terrible flat roofs of years ago.
Things have moved on a tad since those horrors.

FlexibleFriend Thu 09-Jul-20 16:15:33

I replaced my conservatory roof 2 years ago but went for a glass roof, which is energy efficient, self cleaning and opaque. I also had a cornice added inside which is insulated. Mine now looks like an orangery rather than a conservatory. It wasn't cheap but my conservatory is large and with everything cost £24,000 for the replacement roof which was more than the original conservatory. It also depend on several things, I didn't want to reduce the amount of light and it hasn't whereas a solid roof would have. My original conservatory was well built and strong enough to take the extra weight. Some of the quotes I got were sky high, double what I eventually paid. My conservatory was already well heated by radiators and a gas heater, it never suffered with being too cold but it was definitely too hot in summer and it isn't any more. Also when it rains now even heavily I can't hear it. I would have had it done much sooner had I realised how great it would be.

Dollymc2 Thu 09-Jul-20 21:51:15

Yes, we had a 'slate ' roof put on our conservatory Judy, by doing so, we were able to open it up into the kitchen , because the temperature is so much more stable
We are really pleased with ours
We used a reputable local firm
For us, it was money well spent

Judy54 Fri 10-Jul-20 14:10:42

Thanks for all your replies. FlexibleFriend £24,000 is a staggering amount and way out of our budget. Dollymc2 a slate roof is exactly what we are looking for rather than membrane roofing. We will get some quotes from local firms and see how it goes.

Iam64 Fri 10-Jul-20 14:50:05

We had a proper tiled roof on or conservatory two years ago. It isn't a big area, the cost was under £7000. We saw similar replacements for half that price but we decided to pay slightly more and have it done by the firm that originally put up the conservatory years ago.
It's been money well spent and we use the space much more often. I'd have liked those extendable doors in place of the patio French window types between the sitting room and conservatory, but they cost much more. We keep the doors open and it makes the two rooms feel like one large room. We had vellux windows in the roof to help keep the light coming into the original sitting room

Greyduster Fri 10-Jul-20 15:53:05

There are so many options now, there is bound to be one to suit your needs. We had a lightweight tiled roof put on ours four years ago and it as money well spent. We now spend more time in there year round than we do in the living room. Loss of some light into the dining room was a trade off we considered worthwhile.

Judy54 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:30:11

Thank you Iam64 and Greyduster around £7,000 was the sort of figure we had in mind. We just want to make it a more usable and comfortable room to sit in. I am sure we will find something to suit our needs. Thanks again.