Gransnet forums

House and home

Painting wood furniture

(13 Posts)
Lindylou23 Sun 26-Jul-20 15:55:31

I have a teak fire surround a bit dated and thinking of painting it,maybe in chalk paint, has anyone done this successfully? Any tips and what paint did you use. Thank you

Puzzler61 Sun 26-Jul-20 16:10:54

Lindylou DH painted our dark wood staircase and turned it to a chalky white 2 years ago.
We looked up on the internet and several people had given tips on using a product called Zinsser to cover the dark wood colour, before you start the undercoat and top coats of a light paint.
Many coats were needed - but the result was gratifying - we got our chalk white staircase ?
Good Luck!

timetogo2016 Sun 26-Jul-20 16:17:09

I hate painting over wood,it`s just wrong in my opinion.

FlexibleFriend Sun 26-Jul-20 21:04:16

Teak doesn't take kindly to being painted as it is a very oily wood. I did paint a teak garden bench once but it had been weathered outside for many years first.

Chewbacca Sun 26-Jul-20 21:12:17

I've had good results from painting pine but not teak. As Flexible said, teak is an oily wood and doesn't take paint preparation well. When I Googled "painting teak" I found this:

We would recommend against painting your teak wood furniture. Not only does paint hide the natural beauty of teak, but water will eventually penetrate the coating, causing it to flake, peel or crack. Teak's naturally high oil content also makes it difficult for paint and other finishes to adhere to the wood.

merlotgran Sun 26-Jul-20 22:19:35

Go on YouTube and look at some Annie Sloan tutorials. I have no qualms about painting over wood if it's dated. Chalk paint will cover anything and it won't need sanding down. You rarely need more than two coats.

It's important to make a decision about the finish. I would use wax on a fire surround. Lacquer is better for table tops and anything that needs to be hard wearing.

craftyone Mon 27-Jul-20 06:10:46

I would definitely not paint over teak, instead treat the wood with tlc. Use wire wool and gently sand in the direction of the grain, wipe with water and do it again until you get a lovely finish. Then use a proper finisher like renaissance wax, definitely not any sort of lacquer

lopoko Tue 11-Aug-20 12:42:23

You can check charred wood, but it cost a lot. Here are some degmeda.eu/colors-of-shou-sugi-ban-wood/ colors of Shou Sugi Ban wood

MerylStreep Tue 11-Aug-20 12:46:59

Timetogo
Some woods are not as nice as others but I just couldn't paint Teak ? Such a lovely wood.

lopoko Tue 11-Aug-20 12:56:45

Why not?

jeanie99 Thu 13-Aug-20 02:05:20

I think with teak you would need to give it a really good sanding with fine sandpaper. Try the back for a start if you are not sure and see how it goes.
I bought a pine dresser from John Lewis when we married 50 years ago and I wouldn't be without it but a couple of years ago I just wanted to update it.
Did a bit of research and had a go, painted in a chalk paint, put on 3 coats and sanded in between coats it looks great. Took me over 7 days to do it but I am so pleased I did it and I've bought a TV cabinet to match.

Alexa Thu 13-Aug-20 09:34:58

I painted an old ' mahogany ' plywood bureau in matte dove grey and matte duck egg blue. I used white primer first. Complete success. I keep it in the hall with toning print of greyish garden chairs on the wall above it, and a Denby set of the duck egg blue 'Studio' design on the top where the fruit bowl is to drop keys into.

Akira56 Thu 10-Dec-20 19:13:49

Prestige Paints E100-9 is a pretty good option. It can be used for interior and exterior surfaces alike. It is a self primer available in multiple finishes. Great paint. Highly recommended.
Though I have one more piece of advice. Do patch the wood if there's any need for it to get the best out of this product. Though I agree this paint may be a tad bit expensive. And let me tell you there are cheaper alternatives. So if you want to check out more paints for wood, you can check em at the link below.
woodymanreviews.com/best-exterior-paint-for-wood-siding/