Gransnet forums

House and home

how do you store bags? I don`t have an excess

(93 Posts)
craftyone Mon 03-Aug-20 09:04:02

I have around 9-10 bags, some shopping as in kipling or radley and a few shoulder/cross body bags. Not a lot really but I would like to store them so as to remember what I have, rather than grabbing the same bag when I go out.

I don`t want them under the bed, not any more. Anyone have any good ideas?

harrigran Mon 03-Aug-20 09:13:52

I have my bags on shelves inside the wardrobe, I place each one in it's cloth bag and line them up in size order. The bag used every day is placed on the floor of my nearest wardrobe in the bedroom I use, the others are in guest rooms.

Illte Mon 03-Aug-20 09:16:41

I've tried all sorts. Under the bed, hanging on the back of doors, in the bottom of the wardrobe, even displayed on shelving!

What a good thread. I'd love some other suggestions. And I've only got 8 plus the rucksacks

But that's another story?

BlueBelle Mon 03-Aug-20 09:18:42

Ask flyinghandbags ? she ll know

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:29:23

The drawers under the hanging space of my wardrobe hold evening bags in blue/grey on one side and cream/beige on t'other - I don't have many.

Shopping bags are slung on top of a shelf unit under the stairs.

Holiday luggage was in 'under bed' storage until I retrieved a large bag which I'd forgotten about and was disappointed to find the surface of the bag had gone flaky. It's on the floor in front of the wardrobe while I ponder (procrastinate) what to do about it.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:35:03

Ask flyinghandbags she will know oh Bluebelle you do make me giggle

TrendyNannie6 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:38:57

Well I have one of those carrier bag holder things and mine is full, I also have several of the canvas bags as I’m a bit of a collector if I see nice words on them, I have to buy, my friend has got a funny one, take this old bag home, but I have bought hooks for my many handbags and I hang them over my wardrobe rail and now my handbags are hanging in there,

Ellianne Mon 03-Aug-20 09:41:42

Daily bags are on hooks in a corner of the (integral) garage, I just grab the one I want as I go.
Holiday ones are in the loft in suitcases. Special (wedding, party) ones are in their cloth bags in the wardrobe. Shoppers are mainly in the car. Beach bags, picnic bags are in another section of the garage with surfboards and kites. Work bags are in a cupboard in the study. The dog has his own bags too in his wardrobe.

annep1 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:51:11

Mine are on hooks down the side of the wardrobe. Special ones in zipped bag above wardrobe.

Sussexborn Mon 03-Aug-20 10:06:29

I bought a hanger similar to the photo but from a shop rather than online. Surprising number of options if you google handbag storage. A lot depends on what storage space you have and how accessible it is.

Davida1968 Mon 03-Aug-20 10:20:55

We keep most of the shopping bags in the car - all packed into each other. A couple of "smarter" shoppers are hanging up in the coats cupboard. I possess only one handbag!

SYLVIAPATTEN Mon 03-Aug-20 10:21:01

Hi to store handbags I use a hanging plastic thingy meant for shoes! Ideal as you can see from picture.

brigid18 Mon 03-Aug-20 10:21:25

Mine are on 2 hooks inside the wardrobe door.
Shopping bags etc on the back of loo door downstairs

CarlyD7 Mon 03-Aug-20 10:33:07

I have only 3 handbags and a daypack. They are all stored in the same shelf in my wardrobe. Shopping bags are in the boot of the car. If I go to the beach, I use the daypack. If I need a bag for a special occasion, I either buy a cheapie and then donate it to charity; or borrow one from a friend. (I started doing all this when I had a massive clearout a few years ago and found that I had 11 handbags, of which only 1 had been used in the past year!)

Unigran4 Mon 03-Aug-20 10:33:31

SYLVIAPATTEN shoe-thingy is inspirational

Maggiemaybe Mon 03-Aug-20 10:45:27

Shoppers, backpacks, totes, daily handbags are on a long shelf above the hanging stuff in my wardrobe, in size order. Evening bags lined up in order of colour on a small shelf in another wardrobe.

The tote bag, two cross body bags and canvas bag I actually use are down by the side of the sofa ready to grab.

Time for a cull, I think.

Rosalyn69 Mon 03-Aug-20 10:47:14

I store my handbags in their soft bags in the wardrobe. Shopping bags in “the cupboard under the stairs”.

Ellianne Mon 03-Aug-20 10:48:53

Those plasticky hanging bags look good. Is it important to let the handbags breathe inside the plastic?

Pittcity Mon 03-Aug-20 10:57:08

Does anyone use one of those inner bag things to transfer stuff from bag to bag easily?
I don't like switching because it's such a kerfuffle to swap without forgetting something.
Mine are on top shelf of wardrobe with one in use beside the settee.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 03-Aug-20 11:03:36

Agree with Pittcity, so basically i have a summer handbag and a winter one. Both neutral colours (boring). Took some to the charity shop last year, the rest on the wardrobe shelf. Haven't bothered changing to summer one yet 'cause I've hardly been out.

Ellianne Mon 03-Aug-20 11:19:32

Oh yes, I agree, the daily roll call when one swaps bags Pittcity.
Purse, phone, hairbrush, tissues, make up, oyster, mints, dog poo bags etc.
And now .... mask, hand gel, wipes etc to add in.

Arty2 Mon 03-Aug-20 11:19:40

my handbags are few, one summer, one winter, one shopper/bag, one evening bag. All are on a hanger one below the other using coca cola bits to lower the hanger

craftyone Mon 03-Aug-20 11:31:11

I cannot do any of these storage ideas, my shopping bags, the common ones, are already in my car. Inside one wardrobe door I have a marvellous hanger for scarves, it has holes in it and scarves are threaded through, silk scarves, all sorts of scarves. If I am honest, I have scarcely worn a scarf all year, what a waste. Inside the other wardrobe door, I have screwed a shoe hanger with individual shoe pockets and that is useful

I don`t have many bags of the tote size, the most expensive was a radley but even that was not dreadfully expensive from the radley outlet

Time to bite the bullet, I think I will de-clutter some bags and several scarves. This de-cluttering is becoming personal

Keeper1 Mon 03-Aug-20 11:55:39

How to store handbags, I wish I knew. I have bags on backs of doors, inside wardrobes, holiday ones inside suitcases and then just in case I didn’t have enough bags I went and bought some more. They are lined up on the floor of one of the spare bedrooms waiting for me to sort out and donate. They have been there for most of this year ?. The good bags are in there bags most not used as I have a fad for a particular bag and use that all the time until I choose another favourite. Help....

Theoddbird Mon 03-Aug-20 11:55:46

Oh gosh...all these organized people....I need a strong drink after reading this....