Gransnet forums

House and home

Dishes for everyday

(101 Posts)
CanadianGran Sat 08-Aug-20 21:30:19

Have you changed out your everyday dishes?

I have a set of corelle that I have had since the children were small. Practical but ordinary. I have a hard time justifying replacing them since I still have enough for 12 settings, other than coffee/tea mugs. The darn things just won't break!

In the past I thought of replacing them with a nice set from Denby or Maxwell Williams, but after doing dishes at my daughter's place I find stoneware/pottery so heavy.

What does your everyday table setting look like, and does it bring joy to you?

GrannyLaine Sat 08-Aug-20 21:34:38

Plain white from Ikea 365, fits my dishwasher and cheap to replace. Though I did find three very nice Maxwell Williams dessert bowls at the local tip shop for 50p and they fit in nicely.

crazyH Sat 08-Aug-20 21:39:43

Corelle here as well?
I have a decent old fashioned Royal Doulton Dinner service, which was probably used twice and sure, looked lovely when they were set out .
I don't entertain as such these days...just family and close friends for a quick lunch or dinner. They are happy with my Corelle.
Oh those Denby things are soooooo heavy !!!!!!

TrendyNannie6 Sat 08-Aug-20 21:43:14

I had a long serving eternal beau dinner service thar seemed to go on for ever, but for the last 10/12 years I have plain white, as I just don’t like patterned plates anymore

Chewbacca Sat 08-Aug-20 21:52:20

When first married, I saved up to buy a Wedgwood dinner service, item by item, until I had a full 6 piece set, complete with coffee jug, serving plates, cruet set and tureens. It cost an arm and a leg and was far too precious to use for everyday. So it sat in a cupboard, being brought out only for high days and holidays. It's never used now. It's patterned and old fashioned and very heavy but it cost too damned much to get rid of. Instead, I use plain white Jasper Conran china every day, including the high days and holidays. And I'm not worried about bunging it in the dishwasher, unlike the Wedgwood.

MiniMoon Sat 08-Aug-20 21:59:37

I have a Denby dinner set. It started off as eight of everything, but slowly the bowls have decreased, I'm down to four. I dont particularly like them. DH bought them when we moved here, to match the new kitchen, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the previous set but he gave them away.

I wish I could justify the expense of buying some that I like but I can't so will just have to put up with them.

J52 Sat 08-Aug-20 22:00:11

We have always had Denby for every day use. It’s almost indestructible.

grannysyb Sat 08-Aug-20 22:43:12

We had Spode Toscana for our "posh" tableware, but it's not made anymore, so can't replace it. I now buy Royal Worcester Serendipity which is white, John Lewis usually have it in their sales.

Lilypops Sat 08-Aug-20 22:49:15

Plain white Ikea for everyday alongside Eternal Beau makes me have enough dishes for the dishwasher, but my very best tea set is Royal Albert Old Country Roses. , but it only comes out for “best”.

Gwyneth Sat 08-Aug-20 22:55:05

I am still using my eternal beau set from when I married 37 years ago!!

SueDonim Sat 08-Aug-20 23:13:17

I’ve just used our new tableware this evening. We’ve had Denby since 1992 but I’ve fancied a change for a while. It almost caused a meltdown in my family when I said I was buying new stuff. ‘But we’ve *always’ had the Denby! You’ll ruin our childhoods if you change it!’ ?

I’ve replaced it with M&S Maxim, plain white. I have a set of modern pink and white china with roses on and they’ll all go together well.

Denby is so expensive now, £168 for a 12-piece basic set and I need eight place settings. I did have plans to sell the Denby as I have eight settings of three sizes of plate, bowls, cups & saucers and some extras but dd1 has now laid claim to them. ?

Lexisgranny Sat 08-Aug-20 23:37:23

I collected Denby Greenwheat in my twenties, fifty years ago.
I eventually had the complete range, even down to the banjo shaped celery dish. Tastes change and I found them a bit heavy, and after a flurry into plain white M&S we now are using my mother’s dinner service which is plain white with a dark green band edged with gold. I know it won’t be wanted by my family as is not Dishwasher proof but I always loved it, and what good was it doing in the loft when it gives me great pleasure everyday. There was such a tradition years ago of keeping things “for best”, but use them and enjoy them I say!

SpringyChicken Sat 08-Aug-20 23:42:05

We bought Churchill's Ports of Call Prague about fifteen years ago as we were tired of our mishmash of supermarket crockery (which never seemed to last). I bought extra plates and dishes to account for breakages. We use it every day, never kept for best and it's so cheerful and hard wearing. It's been a good investment and brought much pleasure.

Ninarosa Sat 08-Aug-20 23:55:22

An interesting thread, although I had hoped for easily put together meal suggestions as I find I have a two week wait for my new oven to arrive. Oh well

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 00:08:19

I've had various every day crockery and china over the years but now we use plain white Royal Doulton plates bought from an outlet store in Swindon years ago.
Other bowls are a mish mash.
Denby mugs.

A Royal Worcester dinner service for best (very plain too).

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 00:09:21

Ninarosa

An interesting thread, although I had hoped for easily put together meal suggestions as I find I have a two week wait for my new oven to arrive. Oh well

I thought it would be easy men suggestions too

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 00:10:20

Easy men! Is there such a thing? They're all difficult, aren't they?

Easy menu

Chewbacca Sun 09-Aug-20 00:14:03

I thought it would be easy men suggestions too

And you were trying to convince us about the vicar Callistemon! grin

Coolgran65 Sun 09-Aug-20 00:38:19

About ten years ago I bought 2x 4 place settings from Asda. This gave me the required 8 places needed for regular family Sunday dinner. They were simple while with a pale grey pattern and a very nice shape. Cost me £30 total in the sale. They were temporary while I thought about what I wanted. I had a full Country Roses dinner set in a cabinet.

Well ten years on I still have every piece of it. Not a scratch from the dishwasher. It still looks nice.

And the Country Roses I sold on eBay, first checking if any of the family wanted it.

Coolgran65 Sun 09-Aug-20 00:39:25

**. while - white.

Chewbacca Sun 09-Aug-20 00:45:51

Seems that plain white is liked by the majority!

craftyone Sun 09-Aug-20 04:32:31

I got rid of my plain boring jamie oliver white and replaced by denby regency green. It gave me a chance to de-clutter. I am loving regency green, denby quality and the beautiful way they wash and come out of the dishwasher sparkling

Calendargirl Sun 09-Aug-20 06:57:09

I use plain white ones, cheap and cheerful. A friend who married 30 years ago had a very expensive set on her wedding present list. We bought her the gravy jug, horrified at the price of even that small item.

I wonder if anyone would really notice the difference between hers and mine, assuming they break the same if dropped on a tiled floor.

I also have a lovely dinner service, wedding present 1972, very 70’s retro design, but only used occasionally. I contacted Chinasearch, to see if it was sellable, but no, not interested.

kittylester Sun 09-Aug-20 07:41:14

J52

We have always had Denby for every day use. It’s almost indestructible.

Oh flipping heck j52.

We have Denby for every day. I would like to change it but it is indestructible.

fiorentina51 Sun 09-Aug-20 08:00:44

Plain white from Sainsburys for everyday. If we have a big gathering (not often, especially now) I use a dinner service inherited from DH granny. It's plain white background decorated with pink rosebuds. She bought it in 1958 at the World Fair in Belgium. Apart from 1 coffee cup broken by me, it's still in fine fettle.