Gransnet forums

House and home

Blackout curtain lining- which way out?

(12 Posts)
Farmor15 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:16:25

I’m in the process of making bedroom curtains for 2 rooms. I bought the type of blackout lining which is the same colour both sides, with the black part sandwiched in the middle. Having started, I realised that one side was sort of fuzzy- like a kind of suede finish, and wasn’t sure whether this should be the ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ side. I phoned the shop, and was told the fuzzy side should be out.

However, having made first pair, I’m not convinced and Googling only made me more confused. One site was a forum for professional curtain makers, some of whom said it didn’t matter! I think if cotton lining, the blackout and fuzzy coating protects from sun, but the lining I have is polyester.

I’m thinking of making the other pair with fuzzy side in. My impression is that this coating is more likely to pick up dirt.

Any advice? Even if you haven’t made curtains with this kind of lining, you might have them, so can you look at lining and tell me which side is visible? Thanks?

Ellianne Fri 18-Sep-20 13:47:03

Fuzzy side out and plasticky side against fabric.

Ellianne Fri 18-Sep-20 13:48:25

And watch out if you have a window sill sitting cat. The curtains pick up all their hairs!

Farmor15 Fri 18-Sep-20 14:20:00

Thanks Ellianne. My lining doesn’t have plasticky side- other side is smooth, woven fabric, which is why I thought it might be better on outside. I can imagine the fuzzy size picking up cat hair! I might try to post a photo.

Farmor15 Fri 18-Sep-20 14:24:27

I folded over a corner so both sides can be seen. If you click on image it should enlarge enough to see surface of each side

Ellianne Fri 18-Sep-20 14:26:48

Does it help if we say ridged (fuzzy) side and plasticky side?

Ellianne Fri 18-Sep-20 14:27:55

My cat is black,that's why it looks dirty!

Ellianne Fri 18-Sep-20 14:36:19

By your photo I would say ripply side out?

Ellianne Fri 18-Sep-20 14:38:09

But that would mean what looks like fuzzy next to fabric? I'm confused.

Ellianne Fri 18-Sep-20 14:40:00

I've looked again. Yes definitely fuzzy next to fabric, ridge side out.

Ellianne Fri 18-Sep-20 14:40:56

Ignore post at 13.47.

Farmor15 Fri 18-Sep-20 15:19:05

Thanks again Ellianne- I’m going to do it that way for the other set. I think there a a variety of types of lining. The one I have doesn’t have a plasticky side. I’ve never used the blackout lining before, so just trying to figure it out.