Gransnet forums

House and home

Dyeing old sofa. Is it possible?

(18 Posts)
LadyBella Sun 27-Sep-20 21:48:33

We have an old sofa originally from Tesco. So comfy we don't want to part with it. The arms have faded and I keep them covered with a throw. The fabric feels as if there's a coating on it - a bit like canvas. I wondered if it's possible to dye the arms or the whole sofa? I've seen dyes online. I just don't want to mess it up.

MissAdventure Sun 27-Sep-20 21:58:08

There are lots of videos on youtube about painting and dyeing furniture, and the results are good.
I suppose it depends on how brave you are.

Here is an example from youtube, and I've also looked at a lot of update videos on how well dyeing stands the test of time.
All very good reports.

An example youtu.be/DDrTUAlVOVM

Franbern Mon 28-Sep-20 08:46:21

What about having a loose cover fitted to this sofa.?

Sparklefizz Mon 28-Sep-20 09:18:46

I have found with dyeing clothes in the past that if there is an area that is worn, the dye doesn't take properly and comes out a different colour.

You mention that the arms of the sofa are worn so I think you would have this problem.

A loose cover would be better..... and safer.

PamelaJ1 Mon 28-Sep-20 09:26:50

We asked a local upholsterer to give us a price for making new loose covers for our very old , much loved sofa.
It was much too expensive so sadly we got a new one.
We did consider dyeing it but decided against it.
We were so sad to see it go but are delighted with our new one.
I had to keep reminding myself that sofas don’t have souls!

JuliaM Mon 28-Sep-20 10:11:12

We have a big comfy chair that's as old as my daughter who is now in her 30s, and no other sofa or chair that we have bought has ever matched it for comfort. We have bought a couple of extra large Throws from Dunhelm which are quite stretchy and easily tuck in around the Arms and the sides to make the chair look fairly smart again! They are easily washed and we always have the second one as a spare should anything get spilt on the original. We are very pleased with them.

LadyBella Mon 28-Sep-20 19:59:02

Thanks, everyone. The throw idea is good. I actually hadn't really thought of that. And I will certainly watch the YouTube video.

MissAdventure Mon 28-Sep-20 20:36:18

This one is a beauty!

I keep looking at my sofa now...

youtu.be/g4pye6OOBus

crazyH Mon 28-Sep-20 21:12:06

I had my cream leather sofa dyed and polished professionally, into a rustic red. Cost me £300. My visitors think I have bought a new one.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 21:18:40

Wow! MissA, that's some make over! I loved it but I don't think I'd have the bottle to paint my Parker Knoll! grin

MerylStreep Mon 28-Sep-20 21:29:42

MissA
OMG, that chairs beautiful.

LadyBella
Do you have any sewing skills? Making your own arm covers isn't as difficult as you might think. I made some for my daughter years ago before YouTube was my friend.
It really isn't difficult.

MissAdventure Mon 28-Sep-20 21:57:24

I love YouTube, for those times when I think "I wonder if I anyone has ever painted a chair/made a floor out of paper bags, or any number of things. smile

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 22:02:14

I've always wanted to have a go at painting furniture and so just befor I moved house, I decided to paint 2 old wooden bedside cabinets. I followed the YouTube tutorial religiously. The result was, at best, meh! They're ok, but I'm glad I didn't start on a larger piece of furniture or one that would be seen on a daily basis. YouTube makes everything look possible, even for the talentless amateurs, like me! grin

MissAdventure Mon 28-Sep-20 23:00:23

I almost got sucked into the idea of upcycling a sideboard or cabinet to go in my hall.
I found one I liked (already done) but my grandsons thought it was horrible.
I shillyshallied for so long, it sold, and then I thought I might buy a cheap old one and upcycle it myself.

Luckily I talked myself out of it!

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 23:03:39

I've got a Welsh dresser that needs repainting. Had it done professionally about 10 years ago for £150 but it needs freshening up now. Had a quote in for £500! I didn't pay that much for it in the first place!

MissAdventure Mon 28-Sep-20 23:10:54

I think there is a real market for repainting stuff lately.
Grandson's bedroom furniture is big old pine stuff.
I painted it years ago as it was too "piney", but it's on my to do list to try and make it look trendy in some way.
It's a magnolia colour, currently. Untrendy.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 23:18:15

My Welsh dresser is painted in Barrow & Ball's White Tie which, if it was Dulux, would be magnolia! To be honest, I'd be happy with any colour except grey! Sick of seeing grey!

MissAdventure Mon 28-Sep-20 23:26:09

I don't like grey, personally, but it's what I was thinking of to "add a pop of colour" to the white painted furniture.
Once I've painted it, of course. or once the bloke in the next block, who doesn't do a good job but is cheap, has