Gransnet forums

House and home

Laminate, vinyl flooring for Living room - All and any advice pelase

(31 Posts)
Franbern Mon 28-Sep-20 14:34:41

I live in a first floor flat. All of ground floor are garages so no-one living beneath me. I want to have the carpets that were in there when I moved in taken up and a nice, easy to clean, good to look at golden oak colour flooring put down in my large living room and hallway. Would also like some sort of border around the edges. About 44 m2 in the Living/Dining room and a further 8 m2 in the hallway.

I know I will need, probably a 5cms underlay as we have concrete floors. I have had in a previous house a gorgeous Amtico floor in my through lounge, this was done for me some 15 years ago.

When I look I am totally confused between Vinyl and Laminate. Do not understand what is the difference? Prices also seem to vary enormously - from something like £13 M2 to £45 m2. I am not looking at doing any of this myself - lots of things I look at seem to just want me to purchase the boxes of something to take home with me. Will need a company that does the whole thing, measuring for me, advising me, taking up old carpet, etc. etc.

So, any advice would be really gratefully received. Hoping to get this done late winter/early spring and am hoping the whole job of 52 sq m can be within a approx budget of three grand.

Doodledog Mon 28-Sep-20 14:46:35

Amtico will do it all for you, from estimating the amount needed to the fitting.

I think that vinyl flooring is sold by the roll, whereas laminate is more solid and sold in planks or tiles - like wooden flooring, but made of laminate (and I'm not sure exactly what that is, but it is cheaper, and washable grin ).

I think that if you go to a store like JL, there will be someone who can advise about underlay and so on, and will organise a fitter for you, although it will probably cost more than a local one.

Another alternative is to ask for recommendations on your local Facebook page if there is one. Most towns have one - the sort of place where people discuss missing cats and moan about parking.

Pantglas2 Mon 28-Sep-20 14:48:05

We did ours in solid oak 12 years ago for £20 per sq m, when B&Q had it on offer (+10% off Wednesday!) with DH hiring a proper saw for a couple of days.

Prices in Wickes now around £40 sq m so add on 2 days labour for a good carpenter and it should come in on £3000 with underlay/trim

Well worth doing as it’s warm under foot even in winter although I put a large rug down in the sitting room around November-March to give the room a ‘hygge’ feel!

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 15:07:31

I’m not a fan of laminate, I prefer Amtico or Karndean, but there is one advantage especially in the newer ones - they can have built in underlay which will absorb any noises from underneath, from the garages.

Willow500 Mon 28-Sep-20 15:14:58

We have vinyl laminate in the bathrooms which is very like ordinary laminate but obviously more suitable for bathrooms and kitchens. We have wood laminate in our very large through lounge and I love it - it's so easy to clean. As you have no one beneath you it shouldn't be a problem with noise (my husband lived in a flat below a lady with a zimmer frame and the noise was pretty bad).

Willow500 Mon 28-Sep-20 15:17:16

Sorry forgot to add we had ours laid by Carpetright's fitter - he did an excellent job. I would think 3k should be adequate. Maybe get some quotes from different carpet shops.

Chewbacca Mon 28-Sep-20 16:08:45

I've had laminate and Karndean flooring and imo, there's no comparison; Karndean or Amtico is far superior.
Laminate flooring does chip, scratch and mark, no matter what the sales blurb tells you. It's "clicky" to walk on and feels cold underfoot, even with insulation underneath. If you're unlucky enough to have water spillage on it, the edges of the planks swell and lift, making it uneven and dangerous. In bright sunlight, it fades unevenly.

Karndean or Amtico is warmer, is very forgiving if you drop anything heavy or sharp on it. Water ingress isn't a problem. In the rare event that water does seep underneath it, that part can be lifted and replaced with no problem. I had mine down for 12 years and it looked as good as new, with no sign if damage or fading. The range of styles, patterns and designs is huge.

V3ra Mon 28-Sep-20 16:18:03

I've just had LVT (luxury vinyl tiles) laid in my hall by a local company. They're 3' x 18" and can be swept, vacuumed or mopped.

Oldbat1 Mon 28-Sep-20 16:18:37

Don’t go for laminate the clacky sound will drive you mad we used to have it in our conservatory. We have Karndean in our very large hallway and it looks as good as new after 8yrs of multiple dogs and people trailing over it. Go to Karndean or Amtico approved installers.

Elizabeth1 Mon 28-Sep-20 16:31:15

I’m hoping to get my hallway carpet lifted it’s had many a professional wash I’m looking to put another floor covering down can’t say I’ve heard of Karndean or Amnico I’m just going to google them now. I fancy putting a runner down too these can be changed every few years or so.might be cheaper in the long run. What’s the best advice anyone can give me. I’ve got some main rooms with wood covering which Ive taken very good care of. (So expensive in the day) These past 20 yrs I just love the colour of it and I’ve some flooring covered with laminate which has taken loads of hammering over the years.

grannypiper Mon 28-Sep-20 16:56:39

Enjoy choosing your new floor but don't forget that as it is garages underneath you there wont be any heating down there.

phoenix Mon 28-Sep-20 17:02:05

We have vinyl throughout downstairs, more than one visitor has thought it was engineered wood! grin

Large rugs in the sitting room, 1 heavy pure wool, 1 flokati.

Easy to maintain.

Ellianne Mon 28-Sep-20 19:34:03

I got these huge directories delivered today Franbern..Heaps of ideas. Tonight's bedtime reading!

Hetty58 Mon 28-Sep-20 20:00:37

Generally, laminate (unless it's the waterproof kind) can only be damp mopped whereas vinyl planks, that look very similar, can be washed.

I have Quick Step waterproof laminate in the hall and kitchen diner, laid diagonally. It's quiet (good underlay), hardwearing and easy to clean - very practical and attractive. It was expensive but you get what you pay for.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Sep-20 20:20:33

Don’t get sheet vinyl (roll) get strips or tiles, with a few extra, if it gets damaged, it’s easier to replace.

craftyone Mon 28-Sep-20 20:25:54

I have had karndean and prefer the quickstep that I have everywhere now, apart from bathrooms. I got the more expensive one that looks like a golden oak, it is lovely and warm underfoot and very easy care. Cheap laminate looks completely different, mine looks like wood. I have had a wooden floor in the past, they need special care to maintain them
www.quick-step.co.uk/en-gb/laminate/impressive-ultra/imu1848_classic-oak-natural

Glorybee Mon 28-Sep-20 20:26:35

We have Amtico, fitted by their fitters and have many compliments about it. The dogs claws don’t clack on it, unlike laminate and it is warm underfoot.

Hetty58 Mon 28-Sep-20 21:35:42

craftyone, I have that in 'soft oak light'!

Georgesgran Mon 28-Sep-20 21:52:20

Whatever you decide on - preparation of the subfloor before laying is paramount!
This can actually take as long as putting down the finish.

Laminate is just a photograph of wood, bonded to a backing and sealed - hence it’s relatively inexpensive. There’s a wide range of ‘underlays’ available and you should opt for the best you can afford - otherwise the laminate will be noisy and echo.

We have Tarkett golden oak, laid in a herring bone pattern from the front door, across the hall and through the lounge. It was laid on two layers of plywood, first installed in opposite directions - so the floor won’t move nor will it echo. As it’s ‘real wood’ it can be sanded every 5/8 years to remove any dents/marks, then resealed and polished. This can be done 5 times, so it’s here for life! It’s not cold underfoot, but we do have a rug in the lounge.

It was eye wateringly expensive but looks a work of art and took 3 chaps best part of a week to put down. Easily cleaned using a steam mop as it’s designated sealed hardwood.

craftyone Tue 29-Sep-20 06:05:59

Hetty it was the best decision, I wanted good quality, silent and warm easy care. I just give it all a quick wipe with a damp microfibre mop. It is called impressive because it has texture, like real wood. It feels like real wood, not the old smooth shiny laminate. I got samples first and any carpet fitter can put it down

I remember when we had to sand and re-seal our wooden floors, never again

craftyone Tue 29-Sep-20 06:09:26

I just looked at the colours again, mine is soft oak natural
www.quick-step.co.uk/en-gb/find-your-floor?filter=floortypecode.eq.lmp&page=1&page_size=18&view_size=18

Greyduster Tue 29-Sep-20 06:45:15

We have a German made laminate in our hall, lounge and dining room. It was quite expensive and after nine years it still looks as good as when it was put down. It’s not cold underfoot or noisy. We had Quick Step in our last house and were pleased with that too. My daughter has Karndean; very hardwearing and keeps its good looks. A good option if you can afford it.

Franbern Tue 29-Sep-20 08:40:45

Many thanks for all these comments. Please keep them coming.
I have decided - probably - not to go for Amtico. In my house it was lovely - herringbone pattern with my individually designed border all around. Took a week to put down, tile by individual tile. 20 year guarantee and it looked just as good when I left the house some 15 years later. However, it was dreadfully expensive - I can remember at the time, being horrified at how much I was paying out for one room flooring - although from the moment the last tile was in place I never regretted it.

But do not really have that sort of money to spend now - and at my time of life 20year guarantees are not really important. So, will be looking for cheaper alternative. Karndean is one that I am seriously considering and have found out where my local dealer is - so will go sometime to that shop to have a look.

I take the point about a single sheet being more difficult to replace any one area if damaged -
My flat is a very warm one, I will have the 5cms underlay put down - In actual fact - although the ground floor of this block is taken up with garages, my flat actually goes over the main entrance foyer which is kept very well heated throughout the winter months - so no worries there. Been here nearly a year now and never had any noise from that foyer area.

Alexa Tue 29-Sep-20 09:25:02

sheet vinyl flooring will not lift and might come apart at seams when it gets wet, so is better for kitchens and bathrooms.

Laminated flooring comes in rigid planks that click together lengthwise, so there is always going to be a series of joints that are not entirely impermeable.

Alexa Tue 29-Sep-20 09:26:46

Error Sheet vinyl won't come apart at seams when it gets wet. I expect it can be laid in a fraction of the time it takes to lay stick on tiles.