Gransnet forums

House and home

New Sofas

(14 Posts)
lundylinda Wed 30-Sep-20 18:43:28

I need to replace our sofas, and need delivery quickly. Has anyone bought from Dunelm, Argos or Ikea? If so which sofa did you choose and is it comfy and still looking good?

staffietara Wed 30-Sep-20 19:26:36

British Heart Foundation shops have a great selection of used and new furniture.
They will deliver too for 20 or 25 pounds within a couple of days.
As a bonus they will take your old sofa / furniture for sale in their shop.
Recycle! Reuse! Support a great charity!

NotAGran55 Wed 30-Sep-20 20:54:48

Some John Lewis ones are available for delivery in 3 days .

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 21:07:27

My neighbour had an ikea corner unit for almost 18 years, and she has a very busy household, with people sleeping on it for months at a time, boisterous grandchildren jumping on it, and a doberman who slept on it.

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 21:08:48

Is it a corner unit?
Not really. Corner sofa.

Callistemon Wed 30-Sep-20 21:30:21

Is it worth ordering something in a hurry?
You may have to live with it for years.

Other stores may be trying to get rid of stock too, so you could check them all out for delivery times.

LadyBella Wed 30-Sep-20 21:36:51

Try SNUG. Great sofas and fast delivery. Lovely colours too.

Chewbacca Wed 30-Sep-20 21:44:12

My friend has just given her IKEA sofa and 2 Poang chairs away on Freecycle. She bought it when her eldest child was 10. He's 36 now and they were in immaculate condition with nothing whatsoever wrong with them after 26 years of robust use.

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 21:57:46

I bought mine (2) from a friendly online Welsh company called I think Sofa, Sofa.
Very comfortable but why did I choose cream when I have a black dog? Hence the Gotland fleece throws!

Jane43 Fri 02-Oct-20 12:17:09

Two of our granddaughters have bought IKEA sofas and chairs and are pleased with them. I believe you can also get separate loose covers with some models.

watermeadow Thu 08-Oct-20 18:05:09

Mine are from SofaSofa too. Made in Wales, big choice, loose covers if wanted in many colours, robust, reasonable price, excellent service.
I’ve had mine for about 15 years. I have 2 sets of covers, all machine washable.

PECS Thu 08-Oct-20 18:17:16

Can't recall how long from purchase to delivery but pleased with our sofas from Barker & Stonehouse and from Wesley Barrel. But also recommend British Heart Foundation for furniture too.. have picked up excellent items from them.

cornergran Thu 08-Oct-20 21:29:16

One son has an IKEA sofa he bought 15 years ago, still looks good, still comfortable. We have one from Sofa Sofa, very comfortable, removable covers, we bought an extra set in a different colour. Would recommend both.

GagaJo Thu 08-Oct-20 22:22:31

My 2 IKEA sofas are going strong. Had them for 10 years. One I would like to wear out so I can justify replacing it but it's as solid as the day I got it. It has a removable cover so gets cleaned 3 or 4 times a year. Always comes up like new.