Gransnet forums

House and home

Has anyone had a venting hob installed in their new kitchen?

(13 Posts)
mokryna Wed 30-Sep-20 20:44:25

My daughter is thinking of having one of these installed in her new kitchen. If you have one, what is your opinion on it and what type of hob you do have, gas etc is it vented or reçu un what make?

mokryna Wed 30-Sep-20 20:46:24

Sorry auto check
vented and recirculating extraction and what make?

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 21:43:31

I have a recirculating extractor Mokryna as my cooker is against an inside wall. Is that what you mean? I should have had it against the outside wall but it didn’t suit the arrangement I had planned for the kitchen.

Chewbacca Wed 30-Sep-20 21:50:35

I have the recirculating extractor too, for the same reason as Maw. My hob is an induction type but I've no idea what the spec of the recirculation extractor is because it was planned and fitted by IKEA. I've had absolutely no problems with it though touch wood

BradfordLass73 Thu 01-Oct-20 07:18:18

Nah, I'd never be able to stand the constant complaining

vegansrock Thu 01-Oct-20 07:20:59

Much better to have the one with an outside vent. More efficient.

J52 Thu 01-Oct-20 07:44:48

A venting hob actually vents the steam, smells through the hob, usually induction, without the need for an over the hob hood. They’re a really good idea for hobs placed on kitchen islands.
They are extremely expensive. Whether they’re worth it, would be up to the individual.

Franbern Thu 01-Oct-20 08:16:25

I had never heard of these until this post. I do hope to re-do my kitchen in a couple of years time, read this, and thought 'What a great idea, as it will mean where the usual 'over-hob' extractor is placed could be a further cupboard - looked them up, read about them - all fine, then looked at prices. WOW!!!

Hope they will get cheaper over next two or three years.

Looks great though, if you can afford them.

mokryna Thu 01-Oct-20 09:59:42

Sorry no, you have the wrong idea It’s a new concept
The following is copied off the web
What is a venting hob?
A venting hob is a ceramic, induction or gas hob with an integrated extractor fan in the centre of the hob. It functions as two appliances in one and is most commonly used on kitchen islands where other forms of extraction are not possible or desirable

J52 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:21:21

As I said, vents steam smell etc through the hob.

mokryna Thu 01-Oct-20 12:26:43

Thanks J52 Have you used one? The kitchen people are offering one free of charge. However, although there is no cost would it be regretted because it does not do the job properly and all the new kitchen will have been installed round this devise.

Toadinthehole Thu 01-Oct-20 12:36:52

When we had our kitchen done last year, we put in an induction hob, and extraction which circulates round the kitchen, and out of the windows. We did consider an outside extraction, but our fitter told us, that although they are good, they often rattle in the slightest wind, and can be quite draughty. I’m pleased with what we have.

J52 Thu 01-Oct-20 16:22:47

No, I have looked at them for a kitchen refit, as putting the hob on an island is an option. I do hesitate at the cost of them. I’ve already had an inherited kitchen with all singing and dancing appliances. Gradually they went wrong and cost a lot to replace! I try now to stick with simple.