Gransnet forums

House and home

Sale fallen through

(71 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 06-Oct-20 10:22:07

Just do not know what to do. Since my OH died in February I had set my heart on moving 2 villages away to be back with my friends. House selected and offer accepted. My own sale fell through a couple of times due to coronavirus; but a buyer was found and all was proceeding - albeit slowly, while the solicitors mucked about.

This morning I am told that my buyers have lost their buyer - I am beyond furious as I was told that my buyers were in a position to proceed or I would not have agreed to the sale.

The builder of the new property that I was to buy has been champing at the bit to get the sale completed. I do not blame him.

Agents have asked if I want to put my property back on the market or give the failed buyers a chance to get another buyer for their place (grrr.....I did not even know that this was their position).

I have told them I cannot decide that until they see where the builder stands - if he is going to sell it to someone else, then that decides it for me.

Or do I just throw in the towel and give up.? I seriously do not want to stay here - too many truly dreadful memories.

Illte Tue 06-Oct-20 10:30:54

I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't usually comment as I'm fairly new and you have longstanding friends on the site, but I have been through this mill when I decided to sell the house after my husband died, also because of the dreadful memories.

It went wrong so many times. I was in despair too. Almost as if someone was ill-wishing me.

I would keep going. I'm glad I did. To stay in the house would have destroyed me.

Personally, I would put it back on the market and let your buyers know. If they get another buyer they can proceed but I don't think you can just wait for them.

That's my thoughts anyway. 💐💐

Ellianne Tue 06-Oct-20 10:37:58

Put your post on the other thread too Luckygirl and you will get suggestions and support from those who have been through this. Sorry to hear.

Kalu Tue 06-Oct-20 10:38:51

What a heart sinking disappointment for you Lucky. I sincerely hope it turns out that the builder can wait for you to find another buyer🤞

Squiffy Tue 06-Oct-20 10:39:50

Personally, I would put it back on the market and let your buyers know. If they get another buyer they can proceed but I don't think you can just wait for them

Exactly my thoughts, too. It might spur your original buyers on! Even if it doesn't, you may get another buyer along very quickly. Good luck!

GrandmaKT Tue 06-Oct-20 10:48:37

Oh Luckygirl, I followed your posts when your husband was so ill and dying. You really are due for some good luck flowers.
As others have said, I'd get the house back up for sale asap. The market is very lively at the moment due to the stamp duty holiday and you should find another buyer quite quickly. Tell the estate agents to do their job and check that any potential buyers are in a position to proceed this time!
All you can do with regard to your potential purchase is talk to the builders and hope they hold it for you.
You've coped with so much, don't let this beat you x

Framilode Tue 06-Oct-20 10:53:03

I agree with the other posters here. It is SO disappointing for you luckygirl and I do feel for you. I was many years working as an EA and about 30 per cent of sales fall through. You have nothing to lose by giving it another go. Do you have to let your builder know at this stage? You seem to have a very saleable property that has sold quickly before and may do so again.

I do think, however, that you need to make sure that your EA has checked any chain thoroughly. Good luck.

Whiff Tue 06-Oct-20 10:54:07

Luckygirl join us on stresses of home and buying and selling. You will get a lot of support and advice. We are a friendly bunch. Craftyone began a good thing when she started the thread.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-20 10:57:08

It is far worse for you lucky as you are hoping to move, they say it is the most stressful thing after death.

We are trying to sell mums flat after she died in January, and we get immediate response from potential buyers but they are having a lot if trouble getting a mortgage, I think that the lenders are pulling back, giving the economic uncertainty. We are waiting at the moment and it is touch and go. There have been a lot of disappointed buyers.

biba70 Tue 06-Oct-20 11:04:55

Just do not know what to say- the English house sales system is just so bad- with people lying knowing they can pull out right at the last minute. We were taken for a ride when we moved from our first house - with me heavily pregnant, with a toddler and OH already working at new job 2 hours away, living in digs, and no family. And then with our last move- again taken for a ride by an awful man - who also let us down at the last minute, having lied through his teeth and got his solicitor and account to vouch for him. So stressful - and you have been through so much.

For us, the delay meant that my poor mum died before we could move near them, and we had to pull out of the purchase of the apartment in UK. I so hope you will find a way- and sometimes, one way or another, it all works out in the end.
Massive hugs.

Luckygirl Tue 06-Oct-20 13:29:50

The builder of the house I want has said he will give me "a couple of weeks" and the estate agent wants me to give my buyers time to sell again. But I have said I want my bungalow back on the market now and if the original buyers manage to sell quickly then they can still buy. I do not think agent is best pleased with me, but I need to take the right steps so that the builder knows I am seriously trying to move things forward.

I was told that my buyers were selling their property to someone with cash, so I agreed to the sale as they were, I was told, "in a proceedable position." However it seems this was not the case, but that their buyer was dependent on an agreed buy-to-let loan that has now been withdrawn. I feel so angry that I have been misled.

I have also looked at a bridging loan and talked to a friend who had offered to lend me money a long time ago to see if there is some way - any way - to secure the house I want.

I am so very cross.

Davidhs Tue 06-Oct-20 13:32:07

So disappointing, but very common with unemployment due to C19, very uncertain times, which of us can be certain of the future.

Illte Tue 06-Oct-20 13:59:38

Can you change your agent or does the contract prevent you doing that.

They have not done their job properly in regard to your buyer and I feel doubtful that they will push another sale. I suspect they are handling both sales and will lose your buyers sale if somebody else buys.

My son was an estate agent for a whike so I know how it works 🙄

(he got thank you letters and presents 😬)

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 06-Oct-20 14:07:45

I can understand you being cross, it’s a poor system that sellers have to put up with I’m afraid and it’s time it was changed, I think Estate Agents will tell you what you want to hear, they should have all of the facts in front of them so it’s no excuse to tell you one thing and then for it to be something else.
If your builder won’t hang on, don’t despair, I’m all for believing that if you are meant to get a house you will, if not then it wasn’t meant for you.
Meanwhile get the house listed again and good luck.

Franbern Tue 06-Oct-20 14:26:31

Luckygirl, as others have said on here, put your post into House stress site, so many of us have been through this, and worse.

You need to let your agents re-market your house, and if your original buyer manages to get a quick sale of theirs then they can re-negotiate with you. But, do not wait for them.

Much the same thing happened to me, The lady who had a very large and very nice house to sell, thought she had what she called a cash buyer. Then, they dropped out - she was desperate to buy my house from me, but Agents said 'Let's us see how she gets on'. She did reduce the price of her property (although I thought it was still overpriced), and placed it with every single EA in the area. This was in May 2019.

I lost my next purchaser also, but the third did complete and I moved at end of October 2019. Rightmove still shows that lady's house up for sale!!!!

JenniferEccles Tue 06-Oct-20 14:34:39

What a horrible situation.
Is your new home on a new housing development?
Might there be a property there suitable for you which will be ready in a few months to give you time to sell ?

Luckygirl Tue 06-Oct-20 14:38:48

I am not sure how to transfer this discussion to another board.

The little estate of 8 houses is now sold out - just mine is empty, so there is no further scope there.

kittylester Tue 06-Oct-20 15:10:37

Lucky, I'm so sorry to hear you have this complication going on. I'd put your house back on the market again pdq.

Luckygirl Tue 06-Oct-20 15:21:21

It's on again - I have insisted that they come and change the sale board today.

I have put everything on hold for this sale making sure that coronavirus cannot impinge. But honestly I now think I will just go back to picking the children up from school etc and having some normal life - what will be will be.

merlotgran Tue 06-Oct-20 15:25:11

Sorry to hear this, luckygirl we know how much you had your heart set on this house.

I agree with those who say to get your house back on the market. Don't let the agent put pressure on you to dance to his tune. He should be working for you.

merlotgran Tue 06-Oct-20 15:26:22

X posts, lucky.

Shandy57 Wed 07-Oct-20 09:49:25

So sorry Luckygirl, I had two buyers withdraw over a period of six months and it is really frustrating. Fingers crossed you find a buyer with an acceptable offer soon.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 07-Oct-20 10:15:59

I'm so sorry Lucky as house selling and buying is stressful at the best of times, even without doing this by yourself after bereavement and now Covid in the mix.

My advice is to keep trying if you can face it. Other houses come along, they always do, and so will another buyer. I was mucked about by my buyer (an all too familiar story) the last time I moved and I vowed that I'd never do it again unless I could buy another house outright and then sell my house so that they can't 'have me over a barrel' . Best of luck. flowers

Redtop1 Wed 07-Oct-20 10:41:30

I feel for you Luckygirl, I don’t post on here often, but when we moved back to the UK 3 years ago we were cash buyers and the Estate Agent insisted on proof that we had the funds available for our house purchase. We had to provide a bank statement showing just our name, address and money to cover the house purchase). Also, when we sold a previous house in the UK our Estate Agent supplied us with a copy of the buyers Mortgage offer that was back in 2000.

I would continue to sell but may be find a different EA as the one you have currently doesn’t appear to have done a very good job for you.

Good Luck buying and selling houses can be very stressful, but given the current stamp duty incentive now is the best time for it.

Illte Wed 07-Oct-20 10:53:16

You've reminded me Redtop. When OH and I bought this house 15 months, ago we had to take proof of what was in the bank into the Estate Agent. They checked very thoroughly that we really were cash buyers.

What were Luckygirls estate agents doing!