Gransnet forums

House and home

Coffee Machines - Dolce Gusto ?

(16 Posts)
Ngaio1 Sun 25-Oct-20 15:47:13

I would like to buy a coffee maker - one of those in which a capsule is placed. No experience with them - would appreciate helpful comments on which to buy, please. Just me here with occasional visit from daughter.

Grandmabatty Sun 25-Oct-20 15:54:12

I was given a nespresso machine a couple of years ago when I retired. It was a basic one but I love it! I have a couple of coffees a day, I send for new capsules and they arrive promptly and the spent capsules are picked up and recycled.

Pittcity Sun 25-Oct-20 17:27:03

I love my Nespresso machine. We use the Lidl capsules as they are much cheaper and just as tasty as the real ones. (not recyclable though?) Ours has a milk frother.
We had a Dolce Gusto which made good coffee but we weren't keen on the milk capsules.

NanaandGrampy Sun 25-Oct-20 17:32:52

We have a Dolce Gusto. Previously we had a Tassimo machine - another pod machine.

Our Tassimo pods were generally dearer. It was a much easier machine to work, flip up lid, drop in pod shut lid. The Dolce Gusto you have to open the drawer put in the pod , shut the drawer and then select the strength.

Both are an equal faff to descale and that has to be done regularly and the machine will alert you to that and it wont work unless you do it.

We've tried also the non Dolce Gusto pods which are much cheaper BUT although they do work , if you are a fraction off inserting them you damage the pin then its game over. So not really worth the savings.

Both have a good range of coffees but the full range for both is only available on line and hardly ever reduced .

I love a latte so wont be without a machine but if it was my choice I might go back to a Tassimo.

Hope this helps a bit.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Oct-20 17:47:55

We have a Lavazza A modo mio It has a milk warmer/frother and capsules are now compostable.

Much better than the Dolce Gusto (we didn’t like the milk capsules, they tasted artificial)

Franbern Sun 25-Oct-20 18:33:32

I had a Dolce Gusto. Just a bit of a novelty really, the g.child who used to be with me a lot back then loved using it. However, those pods all go to landfill and is a very expensive way of making coffee. Better to purchase a good quality coffee machine and not bother with these pod things.

chelseababy Sun 25-Oct-20 18:59:44

Don't recommend Dolce Gusto as not really automatic.

merlotgran Sun 25-Oct-20 19:21:17

I'll keep an eye on this thread as our Dolce Gusto conked out about three weeks ago.

Kalu Sun 25-Oct-20 19:31:24

I have a Nespresso as I prefer a stronger coffee. Too strong for DH, who prefers his Tassimo, Costa pods.

Oldbat1 Sun 25-Oct-20 19:41:23

I love my dolce gusto - I’m on my second one. I only use the Americano pods - I buy online. We also have a lavazzo coffee machine which dh prefers but I don’t like their coffee. Both do the same job.

NotAGran55 Sun 25-Oct-20 20:23:52

I love my Nespresso machine and the huge selection of wonderful coffees. Free next day delivery and recycling of the capsules.

Ryan147 Tue 27-Oct-20 12:16:49

I have recently bought an espresso coffee maker online that delivers a strong coffee

Mrst1405 Tue 27-Oct-20 12:29:31

I'm on my second Dolce Gusto. I love coffee and drink a lot out in normal times. I've tried various systems but like the Dolce Gusto most. I buy the capsules on line and there's usually some sort of offer on

PECS Tue 27-Oct-20 12:34:08

I think that whatever you choose you should take account of the plastic/recycling aspects. We all, me included, put too much plastic into the bin.

Shandy57 Tue 27-Oct-20 13:17:02

Lidl have a £40 De'longhi capsule machine this week - it's £99 in Argos smile

NanaandGrampy Tue 27-Oct-20 13:19:07

The Dolce Gusto pods can be recycled - we have a collection point for that and other items in the village .