Gransnet forums

House and home

Octopus energy

(42 Posts)
mumofmadboys Wed 13-Jan-21 18:38:37

We have our electricity and gas from British Gas. Our tariff ends shortly and I am wondering whether to swop to Octopus energy. Has anyone had any experience of Octopus? TIA

CraftyGranny Wed 13-Jan-21 18:42:03

Yes, I have used Octopus. No problems with them at all.

Shinamae Wed 13-Jan-21 18:47:04

Yes I was with them and then a company offered to get me money off my bills switched me to another company, they are alright but when this contract ends I shall go back with octopus energy as I found them excellent. You definitely need to get away from British Gas!!! ?

tanith Wed 13-Jan-21 18:48:16

I’ve been with them 3 mths and all is well so far.

muffin Wed 13-Jan-21 18:48:20

Yes Octopus are fabulous, got into debt with British Gas during winter last year as they didn't ask for meter readings, Octopus email you every month asking you for your meter readings then next day you get a statement telling you how much your in credit or not, and if your paying enough, they are just great

Charleygirl5 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:49:08

I have been with them for around 3 years now. I have a 3 bedroom house and my gas and electricity bill is around £60 a month. I think I may have to pay a tad more because for obvious reasons I have not been out so much so the heating has been on for longer.

I also have a Smart meter fitted because I am partially sighted and I could not read an ordinary meter. There were a few problems but these were easily ironed out. None of the nonsense of waiting for an email reply in 10 days- the last time it was within 10 minutes.

I was with EDF before and each month they wanted me to change the amount I paid instead of settling 3 monthly or whatever.

I am definitely a fan of Octopus.

PollyDolly Wed 13-Jan-21 18:51:46

I suggest you exercise caution; my late father-in-law was allowed to get into debt to the tune of £800 with Octopus energy! They made no attempt to suggest adjustment to his direct debit; I acknowledge that he would still have had to pay for his energy usage but his payments should surely have been adjusted??? Sadly, he died before he could clear the balance.

mumofmadboys Wed 13-Jan-21 18:53:06

Thanks very much folks. What a wonderful resource GN is!!

mumofmadboys Wed 13-Jan-21 20:10:35

Please carry on sharing reports of Octopus if you have any more views

janeainsworth Wed 13-Jan-21 20:23:04

We’ve been with Octopus for 2 years & think they are good. No problems at all.
We don’t have to read the meter.

vampirequeen Wed 13-Jan-21 20:26:37

We're with Octopus. Never had a problem. Customer service is very good. Just had our smart meters installed so we don't even have to give meter readings any more.

Harris27 Wed 13-Jan-21 20:37:06

Just gone over to them on recommendation from our son . No problems so far.

mumofmadboys Wed 13-Jan-21 20:50:18

We have a smart meter with British Gas. I wonder if it is transferable to a different supplier?

David0205 Wed 13-Jan-21 20:52:35

PollyDolly

I suggest you exercise caution; my late father-in-law was allowed to get into debt to the tune of £800 with Octopus energy! They made no attempt to suggest adjustment to his direct debit; I acknowledge that he would still have had to pay for his energy usage but his payments should surely have been adjusted??? Sadly, he died before he could clear the balance.

My experience is exactly the opposite, if they think you’re paying too much or too little they say so and changing is just 3 clicks away.
The account is geared to online billing and if you didn’t take notice it could mount up and if you were registered vulnerable they couldn’t cut you off.

Hetty58 Wed 13-Jan-21 20:56:54

I wouldn't have a smart meter as you don't then have a free choice of the full range of suppliers.

I change supplier at least annually and find the cheapest deal.

I'm not interested in how good their customer service is (don't use it) just read my meter monthly, work out my bill - and pay it!

I do have a direct debit, but only £5 monthly, as it ensures a better deal.

Shinamae Wed 13-Jan-21 21:00:56

I had a smart meter and it was anything but!my bills were completely wrong so I rang them up and asked them to come and take the “thick” meter away and I would never have another one.....

David0205 Wed 13-Jan-21 21:08:44

I’ve had a smart meter for 4 yrs some suppliers used it some didn’t, if their estimate was wrong I read the meter phoned in my reading and job done. Octopus read remotely no issues so far.

Grannybags Wed 13-Jan-21 21:10:34

We switched to Octopus about 2 years ago and have been really pleased with them. They notify us if we are paying too much and reduce our bills accordingly.

Haven't had to use Customer Service (yet!)

Hetty58 Wed 13-Jan-21 21:16:24

Don't most people choose by price per KWh and standing charge - rather than supplier? If not, why choose to be ripped off?

Smart meters aren't necessarily accurate either!

Grandma11 Wed 13-Jan-21 21:17:11

We recently left Eon who’s customer service was horrendously inaccurate, painfully slow to respond to enquires, and overcharged us by misreading our meter, then charged us £100 for a meter check before we threatened them with the ombudsman and finally got a refund of the overpayments.
Octopus have been fantastic so far, easy to set up, accurate Billing, and clear monthly statements via email.
They are also recommended by ‘Which’ for the last three years running.

Redtop1 Wed 13-Jan-21 21:54:05

We have been with Octopus Energy for just over 12 months and have had no problems at all. Their Customer Service is excellent, they are quick to respond to emails. Definitely would recommend them.

Hetty58 Wed 13-Jan-21 21:57:45

But they're not the cheapest!

Shandy57 Wed 13-Jan-21 22:01:07

I'm in a rented cottage and delighted with Octopus. I read the meter wrong once, and now just have to send them a photo each month, they take the reading for me.

Gelisajams Wed 13-Jan-21 22:14:08

I’m happy with Octopus. Had one strange bill, it appeared as the total since we had been in the house! Customer services sorted it immediately when I phoned about it.
There’s always a human at the end of the phone even during lockdown. I don’t want a smart meter, though they offer it from time to time. I’m happy to read the meter and readings myself though the meter reader comes now and again. If I want the heating on I have it on. I don’t want a device reminding me how much it is costing?

JuneRose Wed 13-Jan-21 22:24:56

We had a really bad experience with Scottish Power. Changed to Octopus and had no problems at all. They do notify you if you're not paying enough. Also should you need to ring them they answer the phone within a reasonable amount of time. I used to have to set aside 30 minutes just to get through to Scottish Power.