Gransnet forums

House and home

Karcher window cleaner

(22 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 22-Jan-21 09:47:03

Does this actually clean the windows, or simply suck up the wet after you have cleaned them yourself?

midgey Fri 22-Jan-21 10:07:55

You wash the window with soap and water, then, just as you say, it sucks the water up. They are good and leave no streaks.

JessK Fri 22-Jan-21 10:26:24

I wouldn't be without mine. A quick wash of the windows and then use the Karcher to dry the window. Excellent for removing condensation in this cold weather too.

shysal Fri 22-Jan-21 11:02:53

I decided against buying a Karcher.
I use a double ended fluffy head / squeegee. I timed myself cleaning my french door and its windows against my neighbour with her Karcher. I was finished in about 1/3 of the time with no more effort. I have an extending pole for upstairs too although it is a bit too w
Hope you get some good advice here.

shysal Fri 22-Jan-21 11:04:14

Messed up there! It is a bit too whippy to get a good purchase on the squeegee at full stretch.

henetha Fri 22-Jan-21 11:07:30

Before I had central heating installed I used my Karcher to soak up the condensation on windows. Now I just use it when washing the windows. I think they are very good and they do soak up every bit of moisture.

JaneD666 Fri 22-Jan-21 11:13:36

I've found mine really good, and it's fun to use and actually encourages me to clean windows etc. Mind you, I've just discovered e-cloths - haven't tried them on windows yet, but they get excellent reviews.

Smileless2012 Fri 22-Jan-21 11:15:45

I wouldn't be without mine. I use the recommended cleaning fluid which has a lovely fresh scent and cleaning windows takes half the time it used too.

Chestnut Fri 22-Jan-21 11:22:30

You spray the windows with white vinegar or a cleaner, then use the soft headed mop thingy to clean over them (very quick) and then just run the Karcher down in straight rows. Not a single mark is left on the glass. It is very quick and saves all that rubbing to get streaks off.

beverly10 Fri 22-Jan-21 11:22:30

My Karcher is still in the box it came in after a guy knocked at my door offering a window cleaning service.

Cherrytree59 Fri 22-Jan-21 11:30:25

Windows,
Condensation on windows, toilet cistern and tiles (at this time of year)
Also when cleaning shower cubicle and tiles.

Useful gizmo, which I have had and used for several years,
Have only had to purchase once new rubber blades (pack of 2 sets) .

Mapleleaf Fri 22-Jan-21 11:36:07

I got one recently and think it’s ok. Very easy to use.

I have a window cleaner, too,*Beverly10*, but he only cleans the outside of the windows, not indoors - that’s down to me!

PaperMonster Fri 22-Jan-21 11:36:27

I just use it for getting rid of the condensation - not even thought about using it for washing the windows!

Teacheranne Fri 22-Jan-21 11:44:09

I cannot get to grips with mine, it leaves awful streaky marks on the glass and I still need a cloth to wipe up drops from the bottom of the window. I guess I need to learn how to use it properly as so many people seem to love them!

Chestnut Fri 22-Jan-21 23:34:10

Teacheranne you will get a line of water at the bottom and maybe the sides, but that is easily wiped with a clean cloth or kitchen roll. Once you have washed the windows with the spongee thing just switch on and drag the blade slowly down in one straight line from top to bottom. Then move across to do another wipe, overlapping the edge of the last wipe. There will be no marks left at all. Then wipe the edges of the windows if any water remains.

Hetty58 Fri 22-Jan-21 23:43:53

I was given a Karcher and find it useful (on the rare occasions I clean windows) to remove the water. Still, I have to polish them up with a cloth, afterwards though.

I don't think I would buy one myself, though. After all, if they were that good, window cleaners would use them!

I have a brush on a pole that attaches to a hose for high windows. It works well but it's heavy.

merlotgran Fri 22-Jan-21 23:44:45

I love my Karcher. We live in a hard water area so I spray a small amount of Viakal on the windows before using the Karcher spray. I also use an e cloth to quickly wipe the bottom edge of the windows.

SpringyChicken Sat 23-Jan-21 07:56:33

We use ours for the shower. It’s also great de- fogging the bathroom mirror.

Puzzler61 Sat 23-Jan-21 08:12:28

I’ve been tempted as so many reviews say people love them, but it’s priced around £70.
For the inside of my windows I use a handled wide rubber wiper blade from Lakeland, £15 and an old towel to lie along the windowsill to catch liquid and spray window with Mr Muscle shower shine £2.99. No smears.

maytime2 Sat 23-Jan-21 11:01:40

I think it all depends on the size of your windows. It was good on my previous windows, but these are smaller and I have to use it horizontally on some of the windows. It is much more of a faff and doesn't give as good a result.

Auntieflo Sat 23-Jan-21 11:45:44

We bought ours 14/15 months ago, from ALDI. I think it was around £45.00 ish.
Makes me do the inside windows after our window cleaner has been, and I use it in the shower as well, so it was a good buy for us.

Spice101 Sun 24-Jan-21 01:52:42

I was given one for Christmas and used it for the first time yesterday. Found it good and leaves the window dry and streak free. I also found it excellent for mirrors.

I'm not sure I liked the cleaning solution that came with it and would probably not buy more but use something else.