Gransnet forums

House and home

Another pan bites the dust

(12 Posts)
sassenach512 Thu 28-Jan-21 11:03:45

Yet again I've had to sling out a frying pan for sticking. I could have had a nice break somewhere warm (if it was allowed now of course) with the money I've spent on pans over the years. Can anyone recommend a good one? I've tried Teflon coated, ceramic - the lot but my fried eggs continue to burst!

Blossoming Thu 28-Jan-21 11:07:20

I’m using a rather old cast iron skillet, not very helpful I’m afraid.

Redhead56 Thu 28-Jan-21 12:16:20

My trade mark is burning every pan no matter what make. The one I have been using for a while now kitchenCraft Masterclass 28cm Amazon Choice £16 ish. It's non stick oven proof too but I do put a little oil in it before use.

Elegran Thu 28-Jan-21 12:44:18

Maybe you have the pan too hot for frying eggs? With your new pan try a lower setting.

Auntieflo Thu 28-Jan-21 13:22:42

Just what I was going to suggest Elegran.

shysal Thu 28-Jan-21 13:50:53

I use a cheap supermarket non-stick frying pan on a medium heat, with a squirt or two of spray oil. Covering with a lid helps to cook the top layer. The eggs just slide out every time.

NotSpaghetti Thu 28-Jan-21 13:54:38

I use a Le Creuset pan for fried eggs.
With a little oil or butter it doesn't stick unless I'm too lazy to "spread" the oil out first!

Spidergran3 Thu 28-Jan-21 14:14:40

All my pans are Stellar - I wouldn’t use anything else. Don’t have any problems with the skillet and fry pans with the non stick coating.

sassenach512 Thu 28-Jan-21 15:00:52

Maybe I should splash out on a caste iron one, the only one I haven't tried but they're a bit on the heavy side aren't they? I do try to keep to a medium heat, maybe it's washing it in detergent, someone told me you should just wipe a pan out whenever possible to keep a coating of oil on it but I like to wash it properly

Elegran Thu 28-Jan-21 15:08:23

If you rinse it well it should be OK. Using a lower heat and heating it up slowly ought to help. Don't put the ehhs into cold/cool oil, and don't turn them over too soon (if at all) but lift the pan and shake it gently to move them around a bit when they are just set but before they stick.

"She can't boil an egg!" isn't as much of an insult as it sounds. Eggs are not easy. I believe Delia Smith has a whole book on how to cook them.

Elegran Thu 28-Jan-21 15:10:20

Fried ehhs are probably even more difficult than fried eggs. Supermarkets don't stock ehhs.

Squiffy Thu 28-Jan-21 16:17:51

I use this one:

www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-30cm-aluminium-shot-blast-frying-pan/p/0468451

They do smaller sizes as well. As Elegran says, don't have the pan too hot! I've found these Wilko ones the best of the lot once you're used to them.

If necessary, I finish off whatever I'm frying by putting the frying pan under the grill for a few minutes - great for crisping the tops of saute potatoes!