Gransnet forums

House and home

Decor: wallpaper or paint

(63 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Mon 08-Feb-21 14:20:19

Just that really ! Which do you prefer, or both For me it’s got to be paint, this year,

B9exchange Mon 08-Feb-21 14:21:30

Definitely paint, much less hassle to change! grin

M0nica Mon 08-Feb-21 14:54:59

Depends on the house and the wall. Currently we have a very old house, lots of beams and rough walls. wallpaper isn't an option.

Different house the answer could be different.

MaizieD Mon 08-Feb-21 15:01:19

Wallpaper for choice

But, like MOnica, we have a very old house with no straight lines or flat walls in it. I wallpapered one room when we first moved in. Result was a bit 'odd' grin

Amberone Mon 08-Feb-21 15:07:11

I always paint, simply because it is so easy to change when I want to. I can paint myself but would have to call someone in to paper. There are many very lovely papers now but they can so easily look overdone in smallish rooms like mine. Maybe one day I'll take the plunge

grandMattie Mon 08-Feb-21 15:08:43

Always paint. It can be changed easily, is washable and the furnishings can be any pathing you like.

vegansrock Mon 08-Feb-21 15:11:13

It depends . We have a feature wall with wallpaper and all the rest are painted.

tanith Mon 08-Feb-21 15:35:37

My GS runs his own decorating business and he just used wallpaper in his own living room when I commented as I had him paint all the walls in my house he said a lot of his customers are asking for wallpaper lately so it seems it’s coming back into fashion. Not for me though.

FlexibleFriend Mon 08-Feb-21 16:11:53

I prefer plain walls, so paint.

Redhead56 Mon 08-Feb-21 16:13:25

Paint I recently did the living room it’s good exercise and easier than wallpaper. When I get fed up with the colour change it and the soft furnishings.

eazybee Mon 08-Feb-21 16:20:34

Paint.
I can't bear feature walls, having had enough of them in the seventies, usually orange or olive green, but I like the unexpected piece of wallpaper, in a small alcove or behind shelves.
But not in my house: too small.

Lillie Mon 08-Feb-21 16:26:13

It has to be wallpaper for me, the bigger and bolder the better. I've just done a room in Harlequin wallpaper. It looks like a rainforest, and quite a statement.

sodapop Mon 08-Feb-21 17:25:07

Sorry eazybee I've got some feature walls as well. grin I like some interest in the room. So for me its a mixture of paint and paper.

Shandy57 Mon 08-Feb-21 18:03:09

I have always loved William Morris designs, and might buy some wallpaper for my new bungalow. Still deciding on a style - might go Bloomsbury instead.

Davida1968 Mon 08-Feb-21 18:24:18

Definitely paint. Then nice things of your own can be hung on walls, as liked, such as family photos of chosen artworks.

Davida1968 Mon 08-Feb-21 18:24:56

or chosen artworks!

cornergran Mon 08-Feb-21 18:43:56

Paint for us every time. Not had wallpaper for over 35 years. Our family have all gone for wallpaper though, guess Mum and Dad are behind the times, again grin.

Pittcity Mon 08-Feb-21 18:44:37

We have wallpaper on one wall to cover uneven plaster where a fireplace was removed. I hang it myself so much cheaper than a plasterer.
We are moving soon and hopefully it will just need a coat or two of paint.

Calendargirl Mon 08-Feb-21 18:50:19

Paint.

Have never had wallpaper all our married life, nearly 49 years.

Can remember some wallpaper on my bedroom wall when I was little. It had Japanese figures on it, I loved it.

FarNorth Mon 08-Feb-21 18:51:31

I have wallpaper in one bedroom and it was also in the kitchen a couple of times - otherwise it's paint everywhere.
I've always been the one to do the decorating and I can't see me doing any more wallpapering, however trendy it is.
That's a nice idea about small, unexpected pieces of wallpaper, tho, eazybee.

Greyduster Mon 08-Feb-21 19:48:04

I spent 19 years living in houses we were only allowed to paint - often we weren’t even allowed to choose the colours! I said when we had a house of our own, I would have wallpaper. But the walls in a 1930’s semi were a challenge, so we fell back on textured vinyl, which didn’t show defects, but it had to be painted. In this house, the walls are good enough to paper but we decided that paint was less trouble. There are some fabulous wallpapers available now, though, and I am often tempted!

Urmstongran Mon 08-Feb-21 19:49:36

Paint for me. Chalk white. Interest added by hanging prints or patterned curtains etc. An easier life altogether.
#lazygran

PBKNOX Tue 09-Feb-21 10:46:12

Hello there,
Of course, you should paint your house, do not spoil your wall with wallpapers. I have used cartooned wallpaper for my kid's room. Now feeling regretted. Because my kid's cartoon mind had changed!!! They all were grown up, and now they need standard colors. Once you use wallpapers, it is tough to remove and re-paint them. It's a time-consuming process and money wastage. You can use LED light hanging for improving the beauty.

Hope you got it!!!
Thank you

Lillie Tue 09-Feb-21 10:57:47

By the way, John Lewis send out big free samples of the wallpapers they stock. You can choose up to 6 designs.

LauraNorder Tue 09-Feb-21 11:10:08

Paint every time for me. Big canvases on the walls for colour. Cushions, furniture, plants. I feel that wallpaper can make a room too busy.