Gransnet forums

House and home

Hiring help for a building project

(6 Posts)
Polarbear2 Sat 27-Feb-21 18:02:13

Does anyone know the legalities of hiring someone to help us with building work - a labourer not a skilled person. We want to do an extension and OH is qualified to do this himself - but he’s getting older and can’t manage the heavy work himself. He’d supervise and guide and help where he can. I’m guessing we’d have to have insurance of some kind but what else do we have to consider? We’re thinking of looking for someone who has lost their job or a student maybe??

Septimia Sat 27-Feb-21 18:09:43

If you're in the UK I should think that you'd need either to get someone who is self-employed or to pay National Insurance and income tax for them, as well as insurance.

Jaxjacky Sat 27-Feb-21 18:49:37

If you get someone self employed, check they have public liability insurance.

muse Sat 27-Feb-21 19:20:16

As Jaxjacky said. Very important.

We are building a whole house. Everyone we've employed has public liability insurance. For ourselves, we have taken out self build insurance. Check with your house build insurance company. They will advice on what cover is needed during the building stage.

Hetty58 Sat 27-Feb-21 19:29:08

Yes, do check. My house insurance was invalidated because there was scaffolding up next door - and I neglected to inform them!

Polarbear2 Sat 27-Feb-21 21:24:10

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated 👍