Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing

(35 Posts)
Mollybest1 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:05:00

Never when I was younger would I have thought it would make me so happy to hang my towels outside on the washing line. ?
Let the sunshine ?

Ro60 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:24:06

Agree ? lovely job - now I have the time. - I'm such a 1950s housewife ???

TrendyNannie6 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:26:12

Nothing nicer than watching a full line of washing blowing in the breeze

Curlywhirly Mon 01-Mar-21 12:28:45

Me too Ro60! Quite happy doing the housework and washing and positively enjoy ironing! Bit sad really ?

Berylsgranny Mon 01-Mar-21 12:32:34

Here's another 'sad' person, love getting washing hung out in the sunshine. Just gives a nice feeling all round. smile

Nannan2 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:33:01

My son won't let me hang the washing out due to possible 'airborne' covid.??

Nannan2 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:34:37

I do miss the 'fresh air' smell of the washing when you bring it in though?

Nannan2 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:35:24

I hate ironing!?

TrendyNannie6 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:35:39

Oh dear Nannan2 ? I’m afraid I would be hanging it out anyway

shysal Mon 01-Mar-21 12:53:38

I like to dry washing outside, but towels are always tumble dried, otherwise they end up like cardboard!

midgey Mon 01-Mar-21 13:08:27

Oh dear that man needs a reality check Nannan2! Not sure I would be ‘doing as I’m told’.

annodomini Mon 01-Mar-21 13:15:35

Although a soft, fluffy towel, tumble-dried is comforting, I also like the bracing feeling of using a line-dried towel. In this weather, I'm drying them outside. Has anyone actually heard of someone getting Covid from line-dried laundry? hmm

M0nica Mon 01-Mar-21 13:39:05

I long to get my washing outside on days like today, but we are having an extension built and a mini-digger currently occupies the spot where the whirligig line used to stand and the garden is nearly inaccessible, so into the garage the washing must go.

janeainsworth Mon 01-Mar-21 13:47:25

My son won't let me hang the washing out due to possible 'airborne' covid
That's ridiculous Nannan. The chances of any Covid particles landing on your washing are zero.

Why do you have to obey your son, anyway?

I hung out my washing this morning for the first time this year & my inner 50's housewife rejoiced.sunshine

Elegran Mon 01-Mar-21 13:51:19

Does your son never leave the house in case the air is full of airborne infection, Nannan ? Surely you have more sense than that?

Calendargirl Mon 01-Mar-21 14:50:02

Nannan2

What nonsense!

Ignore him.

Tangerine Mon 01-Mar-21 14:54:11

Nannan2 - Like others, I think your son's reaction is over the top. I suppose he means well but, in your position, I think I'd hang the washing out. I also understand that you don't want to fall out with him.

BigBertha1 Mon 01-Mar-21 15:02:49

DH put my new line up and concreted it in last week and I am so pleased with it. I love to see a nice line of washing - not towels though they need tumble drying.

tanith Mon 01-Mar-21 15:17:35

I’ve not stopped hanging my washing out apart from the snowy week, I prefer rough towels so no tumble drier for me. I love hanging the washing out.

varian Mon 01-Mar-21 15:22:36

Everything is best dried outside. If the towels are not fluffy enough finish them off in the tumble drier. Drying anything completely in a drier is a terrible waste of electricity.

felice Mon 01-Mar-21 15:29:59

Oh don't, one thing I miss so much here in Brussels.
No washing outside, there is a good reason for it but I really miss it.
We have a big garden too which would dry stuff wonderfully.

Reason is, we have tram lines everywhere and after WW11 when there was a massive influx of migrants from north Africa, many lived and still do on narrow city streets and put lines across the tram lines.
Very dangerous so hanging washing outside was outlawed.

It has been a really good drying day today too, ah well.

silverlining48 Mon 01-Mar-21 15:36:22

Hung mine out for the first time this year as sun was forecast this afternoon. Love putting it outside but the sun never materialised ( south east) and its got bitter cold, so washing back in, still damp, but radiators on so they can dry out on those.

MerylStreep Mon 01-Mar-21 15:48:01

Nannan2

I must be very high risk at the moment as ive spent most of my time in the garden for the past week ?
As for one of my children telling me what I can/can't do they know they're on dangerous ground ?

AGAA4 Mon 01-Mar-21 15:57:37

I used to love hanging out my washing but living in a flat I can no longer do that. sad envy

jusnoneed Mon 01-Mar-21 19:05:42

My washing goes outside all year round, I don't have a tumble dryer and no central heating so drying indoors is a pain. I prefer my towels slightly rougher too, they dry better, and the laundry with the fresh air smell is lovely (don't use fabric softener either).

I hung mine out this morning and got it all dried and away early afternoon.

It has never occurred to me re the covid v outdoor washing Nannan. Makes no sense, does he not wear clothing near other people?