Gransnet forums

House and home

Riser/recliner chairs

(28 Posts)
Franbern Wed 31-Mar-21 12:21:20

Has anyone purchased one of these recently. I do have an electric recliner chair, but have been having some problems actually getting out of it recently, and thought of getting a riser/recliner.
The differences in prices is incredible, ranging from a few hundred pounds to a few thousand!!!
Had one 'salesman' here this morning, demontrating the Grosvenor chairs. Very nice, but very expensive.
See that CareCo sell them for under a grand,
So, is buying cheaper, going to be more expensive in the long run.
I want one with a dual motor, so that the back and the legs can operate separately.
Anyone purchased one of these recently and has any thoughts and recommendations?

Charleygirl5 Wed 31-Mar-21 13:12:38

Yes, as part of a piece suite so did not cost me thousands. One part of the two seater sofa also raises its legs.

An aunt, now dead, bought one at great expense and luckily she was tiny in every form because the chair that came was really narrow. A "normal" person could not sit in it comfortably.

I bought mine in a local well respected furniture store. Please be careful and look around.

GrannySomerset Wed 31-Mar-21 13:16:40

We are about to take delivery tomorrow of one for DH. As he is very tall and long legged we chose a made-to-measure one which is costing £2800, from Oak Tree Mobility who are local to us and you (Bristol based). It has the capacity to raise the legs higher than the hips, which will help the swollen ankles he occasionally suffers from, and I am hoping that the strain on my back caused by helping him to stand will be a thing of the past. I’ll let you know how we get on, but I suspect cheap is much more risky.

HAZBEEN Wed 31-Mar-21 19:11:11

I bought one a few months ago from Care.Co. It was to replace another that I had bought second hand. I paid less than £600 for a dual motor one. They are better than single motors. Actually I bought 3 from their website as I got together for the order with 2 neighbours, we all bought different models and we are delighted. What we didnt do is pay the extra for the "engineer" to set them up. Its very easy if you have someone strong to do it for you ie. my OH!

vampirequeen Wed 31-Mar-21 19:26:46

Shop around and read a lot of reviews. Mine was from a mobility shop and cost about £1000 when new. DH's was an expensive made to measure one that cost around £4000. I have to say around because I don't really know. We bought them almost brand new off eBay. Mine was £25 and DH's was £100. Tbh although DH's has more bells and whistles (it has a heater and massager) he never uses them. So my cheaper one is just as good if you just want it to recline and be tipped out. My mam recently bought one from Eden Mobility for £500 and is very happy with it but I find it a bit uncomfortable so you really need to sit in some before you decide the type you want.

Spice101 Thu 01-Apr-21 01:36:39

Just make sure they have a battery backup just in case the power goes off while you are sitting in it.

welbeck Thu 01-Apr-21 05:07:08

if you have a disability, it's worth asking if the occupational therapist can get you one.
and a reminder to everyone. my previous job made me aware of some terrible crush injuries caused to children who were allowed to play around these items.
they cannot see the hazards and can get caught in under the mechanism. do not let them regard them as toys. they need to be off limits to children. and disconnect the power.

Franbern Thu 01-Apr-21 09:18:56

Thanks for all your comments. Had a demo yesterday in my home from Grosvenor Chairs. Yes, chair was fine, bit of a pushy salesman. And, the price somehow went down during that 'consultation' from over four grand to two and half grand!!! That sort of sales technique does not inspire me with confidence!!!

I do know exactly what I am looking for - my present chair is a lovelyelectric recliner one. But just now need one that will also help me to stand up - and fit in with my present electric recliner and electric recliner sofa.

I would never buy a chair or a bed that I have not tried out - so do n ot think I could I would take the chance with ebay, etc.

I have looked at the Careco catalogue, they seem fine - but my nearest showroom is in Cardiff, so will need to wait until I am permitted to go into Wales to have a look. I am interested in how well these stand the test of time - so Hazbeen will be interested to learn how you are getting on with yours.

Welbeck - I really dislike the ones that are supplied by Social Services, - so am willing to purchase my own in order to get what I really want - both to sit in and to look at,.

Have suggested to my AC that perhaps they could help towards the cost of this as my 80th birthday pressie.

Yes, I know I want a dual motor, and one that supplies a neck support and battery back-up. Had a bad experience in my existing chair, when I really hurt my back and could not move (eventually turned out I had a spinal stress fracture). My daughter came round on her way to work, and I refused to let her take me to hospital, but asked her to get my electric heating pad from upstairs for me to use. She did so, and plugged it in. Half an hour later, when I needed to use the loo I discovered that she had unplugged the chair to put that in and took me nearly and hour and a lot of pain to get out of that chair.

GrannySomerset I have another home demonstration next week from Oak Tree Mobility. Be interested to hear how you are getting on with yours.

Be grateful for any other comments, good and bad about these chairs. So many companies seem to do them.

GrannySomerset Thu 01-Apr-21 11:42:34

Like me, Franbern, the appearance is important and was a factor in our decision making. Will report back in due course.

travelnan Thu 01-Apr-21 16:44:57

I have a Sherborne riser which I purchased from a local furniture store. Sherborne have several to choose from and you can choose the upholstery of your choice. Mine cost about £1,300. but it is very comfortable and has battery back up. Should also mention they do different designs and sizes. They have a good web site you might like to have a look at until you can actually get to the store. Would definitely avoid salesman who come to the house just con merchants in my opinion, they would probably try and charge £3,000 at least for one like mine.

midgey Thu 01-Apr-21 17:51:11

My husband bought one from HSL, it is worth checking them out. Check the battery is actually present though! I recently discovered the battery pack was empty!

dragonfly46 Thu 01-Apr-21 17:57:29

Y parents bought theirs from a local mobility shop. They were very reasonable and still in good condition when they died 15 years later. The best thing was that they had a very short delivery time.

dragonfly46 Thu 01-Apr-21 17:58:16

Oh and they were different sizes as my dad was a little bigger than my mum.

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Apr-21 18:18:41

wellbeck my daughter nearly got her leg crushed years ago when my Dad operated his without warning, she was about 18 months old. I’ve never been near one since.

Franbern Thu 15-Apr-21 09:49:20

Just to let you all know, yesterday I was able to be taken to Careco in Cardiff. Tried out many of their chairs. Fouind a lovely one with FOUR motors - the extra two control the neck area and the lumbar part. It was wonderfully comfortable and did give support exactly where I needed it.

Now on order. It is pretty pricey - but, hopefully, I will be able to get a good few years use from it. Price includes engineer to come in a set it up. Will need to learn how 'to drive' it. Half the cost is being paid by my five adult children as my 80th birthday pressie.

Will not have it for a few weeks, but getting excited about it.

GrannySomerset Thu 15-Apr-21 14:59:19

Glad you have been able to find what you need, Franbern. DH is still struggling to “drive” his new two motor chair but is delighted with the comfort and with the fact that he can get out of it on his own - provided he pushes the right button which can take more than one go. Don’t think he would ever master a four engined one! You will be impatient for it to arrive now.

Franbern Fri 16-Apr-21 08:45:12

Grannysomerset - just to add that my new chair (when I get it), is, like the one you DH has, also totally British made (also in Somerset).

Greeneyedgirl Tue 27-Apr-21 16:50:26

Just to say on many riser recliners you can get VAT free if you ask.

Franbern Wed 28-Apr-21 09:19:39

Greeneyedgirl Yes, thanks. I did know that and have done so with mine. I am still looking forward to getting it. As my birthday is towards Mid-June, and this is likely to arrive just before that, mhy eldest daughter has told the one down here, that she will need to 'wrap it up' until my birthday.

Obviously, she is only joking. Hopefully, it is all working out well. At present in my Living Room I have a two seater electric recliner sofa and matching electric recliner chair, which I use. Also, an older non-electtric recliner with a footstool. When I get my new riser/recliner, that will become MY chair, the existing one will move to where the non-electric one is, and that chair and stool will go to my eldest g.child who will be moving into a large student house in July. As he is the only one of my g.children who asked to be included in giving some money towards my birthday present, it is good that he is also benefitting in this way.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 28-Apr-21 17:44:14

You sound well sorted Franbern. I had to order my mother’s from a furniture shop because the local shop which sells disability aids couldn’t get rapid delivery of one, whereas the furniture store could! I did have to ask for VAT relief however. My mother has carers and her elderly chair has been playing up for ages. It worried me when someone told me that a house fire had been traced to a faulty electric motor chair, so I wanted one PDQ. Hope she likes it.

Ngaio1 Mon 10-May-21 20:03:01

I was warned not to buy one until it was really necessary otherwise we can use abilities too quickly. Same for moving - not a bungalow if it can be avoided to avoid "Bungalow legs".

Grandma11 Mon 10-May-21 22:12:52

If you have a Disability and need the chair for Medical reasons you can ask your GP for a referral to the community Occupational health team, who will assess your needs and advise on the best type of chair for your needs.
In some areas you may be able to get one for free via the long term Home loans service via their partner Mediquip if you are in England.
I suffer badly from Arthritis and also need to sleep fairly upright to aid my breathing, l was lucky enough to get an Accora chair manufactured and tailored to my needs via a referral and prescription. I’m now in my 4th year of using it, and it is marvellous.

Previously l had bought a recliner chair from Celebrity furniture, but it was leaver operated and had no riser function, so l struggled with it. I then bought a Pride Mobility twin duel motor Rise and recline chair, but found the seating far too hard and uncomfortable, and the foot rest was always at a downwards angle, and never fully level with the seat when reclined. It was a ‘One size fits all’ fitting, and far to long for me, More like built for a long bodied 6ft 2inch Male!

When l tired to use the riser function, l tended to slide down onto my feet rather than be gentilly stood up, so it had to go to the Charity shop!

I really love my Accora chair, it is so comfortable, and has really good Castleated pressure relief cushioning built into it too.

Franbern Tue 11-May-21 09:02:42

If you are having a riser chair, your feet should be able to reach the floor when in normal sitting mode. This means that as the chair then tips forward to riser you are just gently stood up.

I was told that I could approach my local adult social services team regarding a riser/recliner chair. One of my son-in-laws has one from them - and he is very happy with it. BUT, these are always plastic covered (which I could not endure), no choice in colour, etc. etc. Yes, I need a riser/recliner chair, but my home is a place in which I spend so much time, and it is important to me as to how furniture looks as well as to its use. So, it was worth my while using some of my meagre savings towards getting a chair that was suitable for me both in terms of looks as well as use.

Still waiting to hear when I will get this delivery, probably towards the end May or early June. Looking forward to this very much.

Franbern Fri 11-Jun-21 08:53:53

Just to bring you all up to date. My lovely new chair was delivered and put together by engineer yesterday. Perfect timing for my birthday on Sunday!!

I am learning to 'drive' it! Four motors - separate one for back to go back and for foot area to rise and to lift me up for rising. Also, one each for lumbar regioin, which controls two built in cushion areas , and a further one for head/neck rest. It is wonderful For the first time since I fractured my lower back two and half years ago, I can sit comfortably in a chair with no extra cushions, AND perfect for my neck support (which I need).

I am delighted with it. Great birthday pressie which will outlive me. Careful selection of fabric means it tones in well with other furniture (electric recliner armchair and 2-seater sofa). As it was built 'for me' fits perfectly in every direction. Not too wide, but with enough room each side of me to place glasses, tv remote, etc. raises me easily and comfortably to standing when required. I did take out an extra fabric cover insurance, etc. At end of each arm there is a small wooden holding area which is wonderful.

henetha Fri 11-Jun-21 11:33:08

Mine was £50 from a second hand furniture shop. It didn't work, but because one of my sons is an electrician he was able to fix the electrics and now it works perfectly.