Gransnet forums

House and home

Fitted bedroom furniture

(45 Posts)
narg Tue 13-Apr-21 13:54:53

Do you have fitted bedroom furniture?
Is it better than freestanding?
Did you use a national company?
I just need some help to decide if this is a good idea.

Rosalyn69 Tue 13-Apr-21 13:57:35

Personally I prefer free standing.

tanith Tue 13-Apr-21 14:05:19

I had all my fitted wardrobes removed and bought freestanding, the room seems twice as big now the fitted cupboards just took up so much floor space.

Hopikins Tue 13-Apr-21 14:10:47

Beware of fitted bedroom furniture if its on an outside wall
it's always subject to damp. I have to use dehumidifiers constantly in mine. Very annoying

Charleygirl5 Tue 13-Apr-21 14:34:28

I have fitted wardrobes in two out of three bedrooms and I love them. The builder made one but the second I had fitted by somebody local. So much cheaper and it was done to my specifications. Once the doors are closed, they hide a multitude.

This modern house has little in the way of storage so both have been a boon. Both are fitted on inside walls.

keepingquiet Tue 13-Apr-21 14:36:07

Yes, Hopikins is right. I now have fitted wardrobes which were here when I bought the house, and they are only against internal walls for the most part but I find them annoying. The cupboards are the wrong shapes and sizes and I have very little actual hanging space.
I think if you are clear what kind of storage you want then maybe they are ok, but taking on other people's ideas of space saving can be frustrating.
I always prefer free standing but feel it is too big a job for me to have mine taken out. Will just have to find ways to live with them!

Elusivebutterfly Tue 13-Apr-21 14:42:14

I had fitted wardrobes installed in my bedroom when I moved to this house. I could not find free standing wardrobes which would fit well in my alcoves and now I have lots of storage.
I would not have all fitted units - you sometimes see houses with units built around and over the bed and they make the room look small and cluttered.

NotSpaghetti Tue 13-Apr-21 14:55:40

Yes, Elusive - also dated!

Curlywhirly Tue 13-Apr-21 15:13:38

We have fitted wardrobes in every bedroom - wouldn't be without them. Lots more storage than freestanding ones. Some of the wardrobes in our bedroom are on an outside wall, and never had any problems with condensation. We used local companies each time we had wardrobes fitted.

NotSpaghetti Tue 13-Apr-21 15:19:36

NotSpaghetti

Yes, Elusive - also dated!

By this I mean the ones that go all round the bed - we still have them in one bedroom from the 1980s!

Pittcity Tue 13-Apr-21 15:29:25

I am having fitted wardrobes in our new house as we have moved from a place where the houses were built with them incorporated. We looked for freestanding to fit the space but found it far cheaper to pay a local carpenter to build them exactly as we want.
I would never use one of the advertised companies. They are very expensive and the workmanship is not worth it.
Ask locally and get somebody recommended.

FlexibleFriend Tue 13-Apr-21 16:15:43

All my bedrooms have fitted wardrobes, bought in Ikea and fitted ourselves.

Whiff Tue 13-Apr-21 17:47:02

I prefer free standing. But my daughter and son in law had a local carpenter make ones floor to ceiling in 2 bedrooms in their old house. My daughter design exactly how she wanted shelving in parts and depths. Lot cheaper and tailored to their needs . Better than a big company. Misses them now they have moved.

Polarbear2 Tue 13-Apr-21 17:50:08

OH built a frame across the whole wall and we used IKEA doors on the front. It’s great. I can hide so much stuff in it. Rails go full width with shelf above and in the middle ?

Niobe Tue 13-Apr-21 20:25:37

There were fitted wardrobes in two of the bedrooms when we moved here and I love them! Ours are in front of the wall shared with our neighbours and theirs are too if you see what I mean so excellent sound insulation! If we decorate those bedrooms all we have to do is take out the bed and bedside chests and just paint. No need to empty and move heavy wardrobes.

Franbern Wed 14-Apr-21 08:09:53

I so much prefer fitted fitments in bedrooms. At my 1930's house, when I arrived it had the whole of what had been the fireplace wall fitted with wardrobes, with the ones round the chimney breast being shelves. This room also had a very large bay window taking up most of another wall. I managed to find a company that fitted that out like a long dressing table, with cupboards and drawers. Wonderful - so much less to concern me with dust collecting tops of wardrobes and cupboards.
When I moved into this flat, it had one smallish fitted wardrobe in the main bedroom. The very first job I had done here was to have another area with a large fitted robe, (One area completely with shelves), and also a fitted wardrobe in the spare bedroom.

I always prefer to use local companies, rather than national ones, feel I am supporting local business - and TBH, feel I get far better service from these.

Not keen in those that surround and go over, the bed, the ones above the bed are totally unusable for me.

Our flats all have rooms with some quite quirky shapes, and my big robe in the bedroom has 'straightened' out one of these areas.

JackyB Wed 14-Apr-21 08:50:26

With free standing wardrobes, I would always be worrying about how much dust was gathering on top of them. We do get an inordinate amount of dust, here, though.

annsixty Wed 14-Apr-21 09:00:16

We had Sharps fit one of our bedrooms some years ago.
Never ever again.
The quality is not what I expected, they are large and bulky.
The room can never be rearranged, however the amount of storage is good.
I do not have the energy, the money etc to replace so I have to live with an expensive mistake.

narg Wed 14-Apr-21 12:08:39

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I am very grateful to you all for your thoughts and comments. I am still undecided !

DeeDe Wed 14-Apr-21 13:09:31

Built in for me
Not long moved, and have a walk in wardrobe here, it's my first experience of anything like this, a lovely well planned mini room must admit I'm loving it, but I do seem to want to overfill it,
We also have a walk in airing cupboard which seems a bit unessery and a waste of space.
But if you ever get chance of a walk in wardrobe which I know is very popular in the States, that i do recommend.

Disadvantage if I move, I can't take it with me sad

ninathenana Wed 14-Apr-21 14:34:19

Our wardrobe is a large built in cupboard that H fitted a hanging rail into. We also have a double and a single width free standing chest of drawers

Soozikinzi Wed 14-Apr-21 14:45:25

We have built in by a local company and are happy with them

langelei Wed 14-Apr-21 14:56:44

We were so desperate for storage when we moved into our 2 bedroom apartment we called on two or three fitted bedroom installers for their designs and figments. The best, by far, option for us and something free-standing could not solve. Go for it but choose a reliable company.

NotSpaghetti Wed 14-Apr-21 15:04:55

Oh! It would be lovely to have walk-in closet DeeDe.
My son has one and it seems so very sensible and easy.

Gwan1 Sat 25-Feb-23 18:18:06

Can anyone recommend a mirrored sliding door wardrobe please?