Gransnet forums

House and home

Stair lifts. Should we rent or buy?

(22 Posts)
folly22 Wed 21-Apr-21 08:07:57

Hello. Long time lurker here looking for some advice please. We are planning on getting a stairlift as DH in particular is struggling with the stairs. I have tried researching online and it’s a bit of a mine field. We don’t know whether it’s better to rent or buy and would be grateful for any tips/recommendations from anyone who has had any experience of stairlifts. We have a straight but rather steep staircase. Thank you

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Apr-21 09:55:32

Hello.
I had a stairlift fitted just before Christmas.
It was from a company called Thyssenkrupp. My dad did some research for me, and they had they best reviews and were Which? recommended.
My staircase is very straightforward. I had the best model (the Levant) and it cost around £1,500.
I had an initial visit from the salesman who measured up which took less than half and hour, and then it was fitted about two weeks later which only took just over an hour.
I'm very pleased with it.

olddudders Wed 21-Apr-21 10:05:03

My late first wife, 35% disabled in a car crash, needed a stairlift, which was bought out of the compensation paid by the guilty party's insurer. Three months after the lift was installed she died of cancer. I contacted the firm but they had no interest in taking it out or giving me any money back. Another firm that advertised an offer to buy such things didn't fancy the model we had.

It cost something over £6,000. On that basis renting might be a better option.

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Apr-21 10:09:47

Olddudders £6 grand!?
Did you have a complicated staircase set-up?

olddudders Wed 21-Apr-21 10:14:36

Maybe, a right-angle turn at the bottom, if you'll pardon the phrase! And it did have very nice seat and so on. We even went to the factory some months before to check Deb would be comfortable on their design. A fat lot of good it did her.

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Apr-21 10:20:45

Aah, I'm sorry OD, you had a very tough time. So lovely that you've found happiness again with A.
Back to stairlifts - I can't help but think that you were ripped off somewhat.
I had all the optional extras with mine, it was the most expensive model, and it was still less than one and a half thousand.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 21-Apr-21 10:44:38

My mother had one a few years ago, which she doesn’t use now because she doesn’t go upstairs. It was nowhere near 6 grand, and she has a bend in her stairs. The company serviced it each year, and you have to pay for this after the first year or two. New standby batteries are needed every few years and they are expensive. It’s best to get an idea of these ongoing costs, but I still think buying will be cheaper. Many companies buy, and sell reconditioned ones.

Katie59 Wed 21-Apr-21 12:51:43

It would depend on the disability, one that is going to be long term better to buy, if the condition is realistically going to progress, renting if offered would be better. With installation it’s not going to be cheap, but stairlifts are practically worthless secondhand.

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Apr-21 12:58:33

I forgot to mention that an electrician had to fit a new power point.
That took a couple of hours and cost about £100.
I never considered renting.

folly22 Wed 21-Apr-21 14:45:34

Thank you to everyone for their advice. I shall certainly investigate the one you recommend Fanny Cornforth. It sounds very affordable. I’m sorry to hear about your late wife Olddudders, but the stairlift sounds extremely expensive.

Grannynannywanny Wed 21-Apr-21 15:37:07

I wonder if it might be worthwhile contacting your local council for advice. 2 years ago my son in law’s mother was struggling to get upstairs due to her disability. Following a social work assessment her local council supplied and fitted her stairlift free of charge. Sadly, she died 6 months later and they then removed it. She owned her home but that didn’t appear to be a barrier.

folly22 Wed 21-Apr-21 17:34:52

Thank you Grannynannywanny. I hadn’t thought of that but I will give it a try.

Nanna58 Wed 21-Apr-21 17:39:12

My sister in law owns her own home and she is having one fitted by her local council, the only caveat being that if she sells the house the money is paid back .

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Apr-21 18:34:47

My stairlift

Greeneyedgirl Thu 22-Apr-21 10:53:04

Sweet dog FC

FannyCornforth Thu 22-Apr-21 10:56:34

Aah! Thank you Greenie! That's Gracie.
She's a bichon / Tibetan spaniel cross.
She's a little star ?

Charleygirl5 Thu 22-Apr-21 13:22:45

I also love the dog!

This is my second stairlift and it goes up sideways. I would have a problem if I had a hip replaced because I would be unable to go up with the hip at less than 90 degrees.

Mine is a straight staircase, cost around £1800. It was bought from a small company which was bought by a large company that charge OTT for servicing, repairs etc.

It is the aftercare which is very expensive as they have you over a barrel but I have looked online and there are independent companies that will repair mine if and when necessary.

Be careful, do your homework because it is a minefield.

Spice101 Thu 22-Apr-21 13:28:13

Charleygirl5, why does your hip need to be at less than 90 degrees?

I have a replaced hip but am not restricted to keeping it at less than a 90 degree bend.

Charleygirl5 Thu 22-Apr-21 13:51:18

Immediately post-op for the first 6 weeks there is a high % chance of the hip dislocating hence you are not allowed to sleep on your side, cross your legs etc. for a while.

You possibly had your hip replaced many moons ago and it is fine now.

Redhead56 Thu 22-Apr-21 14:27:31

My mums first one was about £2000 for some bizarre reason my sister's updated it to about £5000. When my mum went in a home we couldn't sell it even thought it was relatively new. It was taken away as scrap! It was ridiculous I would contact age concern or local authority to enquire about possible rental.

Spice101 Fri 23-Apr-21 00:45:09

Charleygirl, my hip was done 18 months ago and yes, for the first 6 weeks those things were not ideal but your post didn't say for 6 weeks and I assumed you meant as a permanent thing.

Savvy Fri 23-Apr-21 02:43:06

If you contact adult social care at your local council, they should be able to tell you if they can fit one, or if there's a grant available to help with the costs.

They should send an occupational therapist out to do an assessment and they may be able to help with any other adaptations you may need.