Gransnet forums

House and home

Does anyone regret having a bath replaced with walk in shower

(39 Posts)
Sparkling Fri 23-Apr-21 07:07:27

What the heading says really. I never have a bath, always shower using the electric one over the bath. Been quoted, with a power shower running off my combi boiler, which I find worrying as you have to turn water off before it gets hot. Thank you.

Ashcombe Fri 23-Apr-21 07:12:43

I had my bath with shower over replaced with a walk in shower five years ago when I needed a hip replacement as I knew I wouldn’t manage to get in and out of it, especially in the early weeks post op. No regrets at all and no problem with the temperature of the water coming straight from my combi boiler either. Hope that helps!

Katie59 Fri 23-Apr-21 07:18:45

No, mum could not use a bath so we converted the bathroom into a wet room that a wheelchair can be wheeled into, a plastic chair under the shower, a sealed heated floor as well.
It’s not the same as a bath but it’s much safer and much easier for any carers.

Loislovesstewie Fri 23-Apr-21 07:24:00

We have a shower that runs from the combi boiler, but it comes with a control that adjusts the temperature so that it suits the individual. I like my shower hotter than Mr Lois, and we are both happy. Any good plumber can sort that out.

luvlyjubly Fri 23-Apr-21 07:26:26

I find a soak in the bath soothes the pain of rheumatoid arthritis for a time. I’ve only had this condition for 3 months. I am planning to move home and will definitely give preference to a property with a bath and shower.
I only used to have a bath occasionally before this.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Apr-21 07:28:44

I have a shower over my bath but keep it only because I ve been told it takes money of selling price to not have one
I haven’t taken a bath for about 40 years ?

tanith Fri 23-Apr-21 07:29:57

I replaced bath with walk-in shower 8 yrs ago as I had two hip-replacements, never regretted it for a moment it’s much safer than struggling to get get in or out of a bath.

Mollygo Fri 23-Apr-21 07:32:55

We decided to have a walk in shower because when my mum stayed, she couldn’t cope with the bath. Best thing we ever did. The bath’s still there for a luxury soak.

Shelflife Fri 23-Apr-21 07:39:05

We had a bath with a shower, bathroom needed a re vamp . Had enough room for a walk in shower, still have a bath - never used! Love the walk in shower , no regrets at all . Walk in quick shower , out and dressed . Perfect , don't think you will regret it.

Charleygirl5 Fri 23-Apr-21 07:44:56

I had little choice- I could no longer get in and out of a bath safely so I had to get rid of my bath and I have had a superb shower for 11+ years. There may well be problems selling the house but it will not be my problem! I had no choice.

I have solar panels which heat my water and on a few consecutive dull days I would switch the water on for under 30 minutes,

Make sure you buy a shower large enough for your requirements, some are really dinky.

Franbern Fri 23-Apr-21 08:29:48

Baths do have important place in homes where there are young children. Also, for many older people who need to be able to actually soak in the hot water.
I had my ileostomy over thirty years ago, occasionally do have blockage and then one of my ways of coping with this is good soak in hot bath. And, again if I get home in the winter feeling chilled , nothing like a warm bath to deal with that.
I love my shower also, have this in my en-suite. But when I had my bathroom redone recently insisted on a bath with a shower over.
All of these run from my combi-boiler. Only time ever any problems is if I am actually in the shower when the heating switches itself on in the morning. I just keep clear of that few minutes.
Cannot understand people saying they are unable to use their baths due to medical conditions. There are so many wonderful aids that can be used to assist this.
Yes, it definitely does lower the price of property if there is no bath installed.
There are baths out there with small doorways at the shower end, to allow easy and safe entry.

Peasblossom Fri 23-Apr-21 10:15:56

I have a bath and a walk in shower in the ensuite. I only use the bath for hanging washing!

No problems with running off a combi boiler at all.

My mil got stuck in the bath -twice! Once the neighbour had to come and help and the second time he refused, so it was the fire brigade?.

timetogo2016 Fri 23-Apr-21 10:18:53

My Aunt does regret it,it also devalued the house price too.

GrannySomerset Fri 23-Apr-21 10:23:45

When we redid our small bathroom we got rid of the bath in favour of a walk in shower. DH has never liked showers so we kept the bath in his en suite and have a bath lift which lowers him into the water in a very stately fashion. We bought this after he got stuck in the bath and getting him out gave me a bad back for weeks. As Charleygirl says, if it knocks a bit off the value of the house hard luck - we have a set up which works for us, much more important.

Kamiso Fri 23-Apr-21 10:28:22

We had a new bathroom fitted some years ago with a shower cubicle and a bath. Had a battle with the fitter as he thought bath handles spoiled the “look”. I Insisted on the handles and now find them essential. Shower daily and have a bath 1-2 a week depending on how achey I feel.

Looking to move and hoping to have both again!

Whiff Fri 23-Apr-21 10:30:13

I had a new shower room fitted. My shower runs off my combi boiler. It's not a power shower. It's brilliant. It's at a set temperature but there is a button on the bar to press if you want it hotter or colder. I will post a picture Sparkling so you can see. Had an electric shower in the shower cubicle at my old house. This one is far better run off the combi boiler.

Kamiso Fri 23-Apr-21 10:32:19

The much disputed bath handles!

Whiff Fri 23-Apr-21 10:33:11

It's set at 38°.

nanna8 Fri 23-Apr-21 10:37:06

We have just a shower in one bathroom but the other one has a shower and a small spa bath. I don’t often use the bath because it takes too long but every now and again I have a good soak and read a book in there. The thing with a shower is you can be in and out in 5 minutes and have a couple a day if you want. Sometimes here you have to when it is hot.

Chewbacca Fri 23-Apr-21 10:40:35

I had the whole bathroom in this house ripped out and completely redesigned about 18 months ago. Got rid of the bath and had a full size walk in shower installed; plenty of room for a shower stool so that I can sit down if and when the need arises. I also had a slightly higher, rimless loo installed that uses far less water than traditional loos. Regrets? Not one.

Ashcombe Fri 23-Apr-21 11:06:47

Cannot understand people saying they are unable to use their baths due to medical conditions. There are so many wonderful aids that can be used to assist this.

Franbern: If you undergo a full hip replacement, you receive strict instructions about limiting how much you bend the new joint, making it impossible to climb in and out of a bath, no matter what aids are available. A walk in shower was the perfect solution for me as a bath with a door would not work in the available space and I would never choose to use one.

ElaineI Fri 23-Apr-21 11:14:39

It depends on personal circumstances I think. We still have a shower in the bath. We had handles fitted when DH had stroke in February as his balance is affected. DGC have baths here sometimes and 3yo doesn't like the shower. 4yo likes both but prefers playing in the bath. We don't have room for a separate shower cubicle. I understand taking the bath out devalues the house a bit but if necessary for health reasons we would do it. DC would have to sort it out when we are gone!

Whiff Fri 23-Apr-21 13:25:58

A bath would be no good for me even with a hoist of some sort. When I had the shower room done had a fold up chair fitted to the wall. It has arms and legs as I need the stability and also arms to get myself up if I am having a wobbly day. That way I can always shower.

Whiff Fri 23-Apr-21 13:28:09

Had it from Screwfix.

Whiff Fri 23-Apr-21 13:29:49

Picture didn't send here it is.